Hey, hello people. Crappy thread title. heres the idea. I LOVE GUITAR PLAYING. alot. and as a 20yo male. ive ran into alot stuff that just screws my guitar thing up. and want to know if anyone else has little things or big things. that at the end of the day throws thier guitar vibe off.

simple story to start this off.

I am gonna have band practice today. drummer calls up. "dude come bowl a couple sets with me before we practice. I am left handed i play right. i wrestled that 15lb ball for 3 sets with my fretting hand. 15 minutes later at practice. Im like ughh move stupid fingers! -i havent bowled since. screw that. mostly cause i didnt like it to begin with.

heavy weight lifting. its simple, at this stage in my life being a fit strong person is a priority of mine. i have a balancing act between guitar/and this now. as sometimes wieght lifting canget my wrists and arms tight and lame for a while.

I will say masturbation is still on the table. i havent run into any mal effects yet.

I was arrested(no charges misunderstanding+ my dont take any crap personality) and the two cops just jarred my arms back. i felt that in my shoulders for months.

MMA? forget it. i have seen 1st hand what their hands look like. knuckles and fingers pointed all directions. ive been to many events as staff. (setting up,tearing down cage) , i know the local guys. the pressure and enthusiasm to do that is definately there. and i could come out to my favorite song being blasted. side story: one guy came out with Tool Jambi needless to say i was happy.

And this is the big one. my current job. professional moving. as in house items. dressers, pianos, everything. all screwing my tendons up and warping my arms. IAM QUITTING.

to end this post... i am OCD about hand health.
Last edited by ethansj1 at Mar 29, 2011,
Same here, I've had tendonitis, although that was entirely due to sloppy guitar technique.

However, I started boxing last year, and it was a blast. Practice was two hours long two nights a week, and I just went as hard as I could right from the start. I wrecked my shoulders, and it still caused me massive back/neck pain today. I quit after about two weeks because I couldn't even do a push up. That wouldn't be so bad, except that the muscles get knotted up all the way down my arms and irritate my tendons, which are still tender (lol) from my original tendonitis injury.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13
my tendons, which are still tender (lol) from my original tendonitis injury.

OT: I am as much of a drummer as I am a guitarist, and I actually find that the wrist control I learn from percussion helps with the strength in my fretting hand for playing guitar.

I do a lot of working out at home though, and a couple of times I've hurt my hands from it which has stopped my playing guitar for a while.. it sucks. I wouldn't say it affects me nearly as much as it does TS though. Unlucky man
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
i havent really skateboarded in a few years cuz i'm worried about hurting my hands/wrists falling but.. was kinda bored with it anyways. i haven't really stopped doing anything because of guitar playing. i love bowling too (i'm a satan worshipping south-paw, too), and it's never affected me.
My sig? Nice.
I have a REALLY bad hereditary balance problem that affects my coordination really badly on some days. My arms go everywhere and I usually drop the guitar or they fling into anything nearby. I've also innapropriately boob grabbed someone with it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
~But seriously, feels bad man
How long have you been playing for? I can go bowling, or get arrested, and not have it affect my guitar playing at all... try warming up before playing.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
balancing time between working out and practicing guitar and school. sucks
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by Weaponxclaws
If playing with a 15 lb bowling ball is causing you that much pain, maybe being a professional mover isn't the choice for you and neither is guitar. Seriously... man up.

please read the thread i didnt say the bowling ball cause me pain lol. and i dont regularly bowl. its kinda of a joke. i usually play with two 45lb dumbells in the gym.

but thanks for all the feedback on everyone else who shared some things that piss them off later when you pick a guitar up.
I would never stop doing something just because it makes me play bad later that day. Thats stupid, yo.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by EnyoAdonai
How long have you been playing for? I can go bowling, or get arrested, and not have it affect my guitar playing at all... try warming up before playing.

Tell a cop "drop your gun if you want some motherf__ker" and see how they treat you afterwards. cause that was my experience. and im not proud of it. but it was a stressful situation. my brother flipped my vehicle. and i came onto the scene worried and stuff. and the cop for no reason other than his ego put me on the hood of his car. and told me to back off before i turned around and said that.
I think your OCD about your hands is affecting your personal enjoyment a bit. Unless your doing something that is going to really mess your hands/body up, you should not stop. I go bowling, lift weights, and yes, my arm will hurt, my hands will feel strange for awhile, but no damage is done, and when I feel like playing guitar and I play it like I always do.

I can't play guitar well drunk if that counts for anything.

EDIT: that was just my opinion. not trying to get all personal and tell you what to do or anything.
Quote by Scissortooth
I think your OCD about your hands is affecting your personal enjoyment a bit. Unless your doing something that is going to really mess your hands/body up, you should not stop. I go bowling, lift weights, and yes, my arm will hurt, my hands will feel strange for awhile, but no damage is done, and when I feel like playing guitar and I play it like I always do.

I can't play guitar well drunk if that counts for anything.

EDIT: that was just my opinion. not trying to get all personal and tell you what to do or anything.

Good reply. but yes the ocd about the hands probably is affecting enjoyment. atleast you didnt try to flame me and word it like i struggled like a panzy in a bowling ball lol. thnx