Poll: Have you ever been to therapy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have you ever been to therapy?
Yes, I've been to therapy
32 42%
No, I haven't been to therapy
37 49%
TS is a pussy for going to therapy
7 9%
Voters: 76.
I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with therapy or counseling. I've been seeing a therapist due to my issues with anxiety, and it has really helped me out. So I'd like to know if any of you have been to therapy and if it worked for you. (I searchbarred and nothing came up).
I think I need therapy right now...I can't get over someone and I'm being physically affected by it. I'm going on 3 and a half weeks of this.

I also want to ask if therapy is worth it...does it really help
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

Currently in therapy. My life has significantly improved.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I would personally completely recommend therapy. Its worked for me so far. I was skeptical going into it, but as long as you get a good therapist that actually knows what theyre doing, it can really help.

To jessiecloud42
Is it expensive?
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

Depends on insurance. My co-pay is like $15.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
No insurance. How much would it be? and is that hourly, per session, what?
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

I went once ages ago because I was forced to. I've actually had half a mind to start going again, but I can't bring myself to do it just yet.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
I considered but then realized if I just asky "why" and "how do I make it better" for all of the problems it usually solves itself with a "yes man" attitude. Nothing wrong with it for people who really need it though.
Quote by Silent Murder
I considered but then realized if I just asky "why" and "how do I make it better" for all of the problems it usually solves itself with a "yes man" attitude. Nothing wrong with it for people who really need it though.

That's how I've decided to deal with getting rid of my anxiety. But before I started going to therapy, I never would've been able to look at it from that angle. It's not for everyone, but it's improved my outlook on life significantly.
I never had success with therapy, but I can state that therapy is generally very effective.
i don't know why i feel so dry
It didn't help very much but it's definitely worth a shot. It's a shame that people are so hesitant to go because of the stigma mental illness has.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
I have, but not by choice. After I was strongly encouraged by my mom's husband to leave, she determined that there was something psychologically wrong with me if I didn't like her. So she blackmailed my dad with threats of false accusations of child abuse to make him take me to therapy. Went three times, didn't enjoy it. Then the counselor agreed that I was mentally healthy, really didn't need to be there, and shouldn't have to come anymore if I didn't want to.

That being said, some people DO need it, and it is a very good idea for these people to talk to someone.
Someone quite close to me goes to therapy for anxiety attacks and it has helped her quite a bit.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
it definitely helps, i made the decision that it couldn't hurt to try it. i was in therapy for 3 or 4 years. Anxiety is a bitch, panic attacks are a bitch, and i have a mild case of OCD. so going to counseling actually taught me how to deal with some of those problems, although there are times i still finding myself losing control. once a month is a lot better than multiple times a day.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Mar 29, 2011,
I went to therapy back in middle school but I’m not sure what for. It might of been because my depression, unassertiveness, anger/aggression, or my adhd (i had/have lots of problems).It was my parents decision but I didn't mind it.
I was talked into going for therapy in January, but made the mistake of only going to the one set up in my university. Within two weeks it was obvious that it was just a system for making sure "depressed" people like me weren't missing classes on account of it. And the doctor I went to for antidepressants didn't rate my state as necessary for them, so I'm stuck in a horrible cycle of depression and anxiety and the "professionals" aren't interested in helping out
I did for six months because one of the gym teachers thought I was going to kill myself, and I'd have to see the school counselor almost three times a week. The counselor told my dad that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with me, but I had to go anyway.

For me, it was just ****ing awkward and didn't help too much. I think instead of wasting their time on me they should of helped people with real issues.
What exactly do they do in therapy? In all your experiences, what were you doing there?
Quote by .Joker.
What exactly do they do in therapy? In all your experiences, what were you doing there?

It varies from person to person. But from my experience they just ask you how you're feeling and what you think your problems are. Knowing what problems you have, they start to give you advice on how to handle yourself in different situations. Even if you don't necessarily want advice, therapy can be a great place to vent. Every session is totally confidential, and you can say pretty much whatever you need to.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Quote by .Joker.

First he would always ask me how I feel. Then he'd just go off of that, and then he'd ask me about my "progress". This usually turned into a heated debate (I was trying to proove that I'm fine) so it was different for me. Most people are more mature than me and won't argue with their therapist. I'd also take tests every now and then, the standard IQ tests, ect.

Towards the end I had to talk to the boss, and he would evaluate me and ask me wierd questions. He asked me about my masturbation habits. I'm almost certain that's not one of their standard questions. I trolled and told him right before every meal. Anyway, after months of this I took the final 9000 question exam and they decided I was normal. They were most likely just sick of dealing with me.
Nope.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I have terrible anxiety too, and my parents made me go see a therapist over the summer before I left for college. Ironically, I'm the best I've ever been since college started, but that has nothing to do with the therapist. Something about living on my own and becoming independent really helped.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by slipknot5678
I did for six months because one of the gym teachers thought I was going to kill myself, and I'd have to see the school counselor almost three times a week. The counselor told my dad that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with me, but I had to go anyway.

For me, it was just ****ing awkward and didn't help too much. I think instead of wasting their time on me they should of helped people with real issues.

There was a period when everyone on this site thought you would kill yourself.
I went in for depression due to my parents divorce among other things. I didn't go for long because I couldn't get over someone who I barely knew seeing me on the verge of tears and talking about my most personal issues.
Quote by genghisgandhi
There was a period when everyone on this site thought you would kill yourself.

Well, I will admit that I handled everything very inmaturely, and I was a little crazy, but things came out different over the internet. I never had plans to actaully kill myself, and some of it was just really bad trolling.

In real life, it was a bit different and I think that they should spend less time on people on me and more on people with real problems.

inb4 people saying that therapy saved me.
Quote by slipknot5678
Well, I will admit that I handled everything very inmaturely, and I was a little crazy, but things came out different over the internet. I never had plans to actaully kill myself, and some of it was just really bad trolling.

In real life, it was a bit different and I think that they should spend less time on people on me and more on people with real problems.

inb4 people saying that therapy saved me.

Masturbating before meals saved you.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Masturbating before meals saved you.

I never actually did that.

Usually
I went to therapy a few different times for my depression. It only worked when I actually thought I needed it, not just when my parents thought I should go. I'm not entirely sure if it was the therapy or what, but my life is certainly better than it's ever been.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Last edited by jwd724 at Mar 29, 2011,
It taught me that I already have the tools and ability to live my life and move on from my problems.

That said, I still have bad anxiety. But, still, I feel I can control it much better.
Mom took me to see a psychologist when I was 8. I don't remember it.

Fortunately, I've never been depressed, and I deal with social anxiety problems by not attending social situations.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 29, 2011,
Therapy is completely normal. Think of it like this: when we need to stay in physical shape, we go to a gym. We go to a physical hospital if we're not in shape. When you want to stay in emotional shape, you go to a therapist, which is like an emotional gym.
Quote by Ryan Rage
Therapy is completely normal. Think of it like this: when we need to stay in physical shape, we go to a gym. We go to a physical hospital if we're not in shape. When you want to stay in emotional shape, you go to a therapist, which is like an emotional gym.

Exactly. I think the biggest misconception people have about therapy is that you have to be a complete crazy lunatic to go. But the most down to earth, cool people I know are either currently in or have been in therapy at one point or another.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
here's a verbatim account of your therapists side of the conversation that your parents (or you) are paying $100 an hour for.

is there anything in particular you would like to talk about ?

ok well how are you doing today?

and how does that make you feel?

uh huh and how does that make you feel?

i see and how does that make you feel?

mm hmmm *scribbles notes* how do you feel about that?

* repeat ad nauseaum for 1 hour *