hey guys I need help, I need new pups on my epiphone custom les paul and the only options of buying i have are:

RIO GRANDE BIG BOTTOM pickups (2)
EVH seymour duncan pickup
Dimarzio evolution
Dimarzio tone zone
Dimarzio super disortion

This is my "versatile" guitar so I dont want it too metalz, ozzy osbourne/ac-dc style, i have thoght abot this two combinations:

the rio gande set or
the EVH on the bridge an the evolution on the neck

what are your thoughts? Ive heard the EVH doesnt sounds so good in neck but is killer on bridge, and Ive heardthe evolution is better for my music than the tone zone

what do you recommend ( other pickups are NOT an option since in mexico I can basically get these ones only)
I know first-hand that the Super Distortion is awesome for just about everything. The Tone Zone has worked for me perfectly, but then again my style might by what you call "too metalz". The Evolution makes a killer neck pup as well. (If you couldn't already tell, I'm a huge Dimarzio fan. )
Last edited by The Knife at Mar 29, 2011,
The Rio Grandes are the only ones on that list that come close to "versatile".

The Big Bottom set is actually a Tallboy (neck) and a Muy Grande (bridge). They're high-output and not all that great as humbuckers, but they're designed to be split and they do sound quite good as single coils, the Tallboy especially. If you're not going to be using coil splits though then they'll just sound like your stock pickups only with more output, especially the neck, and muddier bass.

An Evo in the neck is pure shred. I've no idea why you'd have thought that'd be a good choice for an all-round guitar.

To be honest for a "versatile" guitar you'd be best off either installing coil splits and going with the Rio Grandes or keeping the stock pickups. All the ones you've listed are heavy rock/metal pickups really.
what do you think about the evh on the bridge and the stock one on the neck? I know its still not very versatile but I dont want coil splits since I want a heavier sound
By the "EVH" model do you mean the Custom Shop 78 model?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/everything-else/what_is_the_evh/

Because from what I understand it's not much different from the stock pickup your Epi has only it will be made to a higher standard, be slightly less powerful and be slightly warmer. I doubt many people would consider it a worthy upgrade, unless you're getting it at an absolute bargain price.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Super distortion in the bridge and ToneZone in the neck, .
Are you seriously suggesting he puts an almost 18k pickup in the neck, which is utter overkill for any purpose, and a 13k pickup in the bridge for a perfect mismatch? For a guitar he wants to be his "versatile guitar"?
Quote by grohl1987
Are you seriously suggesting he puts an almost 18k pickup in the neck, which is utter overkill for any purpose, and a 13k pickup in the bridge for a perfect mismatch? For a guitar he wants to be his "versatile guitar"?

No, get a neck wound version of the ToneZone, and a bridge wound version of the Super Distortion, and he should be fine. I think the pickups would complement each other great.

I've seen crazier setups work better.
There isn't a neck wound version of the Tone Zone, or a "bridge wound" version of the Super Distortion...they're both single models.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There isn't a neck wound version of the Tone Zone, or a "bridge wound" version of the Super Distortion...they're both single models.

I'd go for a PAF in the neck. I always do.
Quote by grohl1987

Resistance =/= output.
The ToneZone may be almost 18k, but it is lower output than the Super Distortion.
They actually balance very well, but I do agree that that combo isn't what TS wants.
For me the Tone Zone is the exact opposite, it's a very niche pickup - does a few things extremely well but sucks at most of the other stuff.

I think the first question that needs answering is WHY the TS needs to change pickups, because from where I'm sitting there's not really any options available that'll make the guitar sound much better based on what he's looking for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com