Poll: Does a video game cause children to commit acts of extremity?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does a video game cause children to commit acts of extremity?
Yes. no Doubt
8 5%
Only in special cases or rarely
119 70%
Not ever.
42 25%
Voters: 169.
Page 1 of 3
Just finished playing bulletstorm and decided to read the wiki on it for news on a second one and found this on wiki.

"On February 20, 2011, the game came under scrutiny by Fox News. The game was targeted because of its profanity, crude behavior (examples of which including the game's skill-shot system, which has a move that rewards players for shooting at an enemy's genitals), and sexual innuendo. Alongside the panel of Fox News anchors was a psychiatrist by the name of Carole Lieberman, who remarked: "Video games have increasingly, and more brazenly, connected sex and violence in images, actions and words. This has the psychological impact of doubling the excitement, stimulation and incitement to copycat acts. The increase in rapes can be attributed, in large part, to the playing out of such scenes in video games." Other claims include that the game could reach audiences as young as nine years old, and that the gore and profanity could seriously traumatize a child of that age group. Another argument was offered by a University of Maryland professor, Melanie Killen, who claimed that the gameplay videos were targeted towards "young adolescents and children."

EA responded to this argument:[42][43] "As you know, Bulletstorm is a work of entertainment fiction...The game and its marketing adhere to all guidelines set forth by the ESRB; both designed for people 17+...Much like Tarantino's Kill Bill or Rodriguez's Sin City, this game is an expression of creative entertainment for adults."

There goes fox news spewing things out of their ass again.

IMO games dont really have an effect on children young or old as long as their parents are at least somewhat competent. And really if a child (or person) is going to connect video games to real life then they're probably not in the realm of what most people consider "sane"

Its like the guy who read catcher in the rye and shot john lennon.

You really gonna blame the book for that?

Also saying video games attribute to rape is a little extreme. This gets on my nerves every time someone has to come and ruin my fun man.

This crap gets just as bad as music censoring because of pricks who dont agree with it.

TL;DR Fox news is trolling

So what do you guys think, do video games really affect peoples behavior in a radical way?

Poll coming
Last edited by Snakeskin at Mar 29, 2011,
I think they can influence kids in some cases, but I definitely wouldn't say they cause kids to commit violent acts without any other stimulus.
Yeah, before this turns into "Hur dur, Republicans hate video games", Hilary Clinton has been pushing to restrict sales of violent video games, and Rush Limbaugh supports video games right to free speech.

EDIT: Holy fuck, I see this post was in vain.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Last edited by Epicbizzjizz at Mar 29, 2011,
The people they influence are people open to influence. They don't coerce normal children with functional behavior patterns into violence.
If a kid goes out and kills somebody because of a video game, chances are that kid had a f'ed up mentality way before playing a video game. They're just using them as scapegoats.
I think it can affect someone who is already violent and unbalanced to cause them to commit a violent act. However, just because it triggers something, doesn't make it the root cause, and that kind of people have been acting out long before video games existed. Violent crime nowadays isn't out of proportion with what it was 50 or 100 years ago. Banning or reducing the amount of violent video games isn't gonna reduce the amount of people that freak out and kill people, or at least not to any significant amount.
I'd trust the hobos on the street for more reliable news than FOX News. It's just a steaming pile of garbage.

No video games and violence do not relate. period. Parents need to get over themselves and blame themselves for not being there for their children. Especially allowing kids to get violent video games because all their friends have it.
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
Quote by pto654
I'd trust the hobos on the street for more reliable news than FOX News. It's just a steaming pile of garbage.

No video games and violence do not relate. period. Parents need to get over themselves and blame themselves for not being there for their children. Especially allowing kids to get violent video games because all their friends have it.

The problem being that people actually watch fox news and adamantly follow it.
And there is no end to parents that will never admit screwing up there kids or being bad at parenting. And in the hands of extremist, tools and greedy suits this kind of thing might eventually lead to video game censoring.

It kind of reminds me of television censoring. No need for it really.
Last edited by Snakeskin at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by pto654

They can relate. But, as has been said, it's not without other reasons.

Otherwise, everything you said I agree with.
Quote by daytripper75
I think they can influence kids in some cases, but I definitely wouldn't say they cause kids to commit violent acts without any other stimulus.

/thread

EDIT: Oh good, less than 15 posts in and we're already completely off topic, talking about Fox and Republicans. FFS.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by Alexishxc1337
I preordered the new Mortal Kombat game weeks ago, thus I don't care.

Have you ripped someone's spine out through their ass yet? Or torn off their arms and beat the other person to death with them? Or thrown your hat on the ground and have it turn into a circular saw, then drag the other person crotch first through the blade, slicing them in two?

By the way, if you have, you may want to think about becoming a Superhero...
To be fair with them, Bulletstorm did make me wanna kick crazy mutants onto spikes coming from a wall to get a +50 point bonus... Best game ever blud!
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

How come no one ever talks about violence against the koopas? I killed at least 9000 of them when i was growing up, no one gave a damn. But now people freak out and blame Johnny being an evil little **** on GTA, when his parents ignored him enough to force him to learn his life lessons from it. SHENANIGANS I SAY!
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by phlip999
Have you ripped someone's spine out through their ass yet? Or torn off their arms and beat the other person to death with them? Or thrown your hat on the ground and have it turn into a circular saw, then drag the other person crotch first through the blade, slicing them in two?

By the way, if you have, you may want to think about becoming a Superhero...

No I haven't. But I will on the 19th
only as a lesser part of a combination of factors.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I hate Fox News.

Bad parenting causes violence in children, not video games.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Snakeskin
The problem being that people actually watch fox news and adamantly follow it.
And there is no end to parents that will never admit screwing up there kids or being bad at parenting. And in the hands of extremist, tools and greedy suits this kind of thing might eventually lead to video game censoring.

It kind of reminds me of television censoring. No need for it really.

It's really a shame. I think the South Park movie covered this topic in the best way possible.

Also, I agree TV censoring is pointless. Just go into any public middle school and you'll see more young kids swearing and fighting than anywhere else. Thankfully the Internet is still censor free
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
Quote by pto654
It's really a shame. I think the South Park movie covered this topic in the best way possible.

Also, I agree TV censoring is pointless. Just go into any public middle school and you'll see more young kids swearing and fighting than anywhere else. Thankfully the Internet is still censor free

South park always does a good job at covering issues.

And is funny as shit while doing it.
Quote by Strat007
I hate Fox News.

Bad parenting causes violence in children, not video games.

I completely agree. If someone is that easily influenced by video games, movies, music etc. they have a whole different set of issues.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
I was influenced by a book... Folkenfiende. Does that make me bad?
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Faux news?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
No. **** off with your stupid bullshit reasons.

I didn't read this thread at all but I can ****ing answer it. ANY violence in media can INFLUENCE people with predesposed conditions to violence to act on it.
Well, it depends on what the kid thinks. I would always play games like Mortal Kombat and whatnot as a kid and I'm not violent. It depends on the kid as I said, some can't distinguish the difference between fantasy and reality. That's just what I think though.
STಠ_ಠ
Fox News pandering to conservative values and concerns?? This is news to me...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
They are an influence, but they're never the only influence. Playing violent games doesn't turn normal children into gun-crazy murderers.

School shootings have been around far longer than video games. Violent video games are just an easy scapegoat for the media. If there's bad parenting, social problems at school and access to firearms, shit is bound to go down sooner or later. Video games are not what causes the final push towards the evil deed.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Fox News pandering to conservative values and concerns?? This is news to me...

Is it...

Fox news?

God that wasn't even a pun
Does it happen? Yeah. But this is just Fox being Fox. When I play GTA it doesn't make me want to steal a car and shoot 600 people. Maybe because that's because I'm old enough to distinguish video games from reality. And if you're not, it's the parent's responsibility to make sure they're not accessing it, not the developer's.
Quote by djentman
Oh and let's not forget that Fox airs Family Guy.

Nice try.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Thrasher51
Does it happen? Yeah. But this is just Fox being Fox. When I play GTA it doesn't make me want to steal a car and shoot 600 people. Maybe because that's because I'm old enough to distinguish video games from reality. And if you're not, it's the parent's responsibility to make sure they're not accessing it, not the developer's.

Nice try.

I don't understand.
Quote by djentman
I don't understand.

Fox News is run by the same parent company obviously, but isn't the same as the Fox network. Never mind, I was being cynical for no reason.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Correlation does not imply causation.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Fox News pulled the same bull with Mass Effect when it came out, saying you could explicitly control the sex scenes and shit...I have no respect for that news station anymore. Or CNN, or almost any station nowadays...they exist almost solely for ratings.

That said, I'm a conservative, and video games have almost NOTHING to do with how violent a person will be. It's just garbage.
Page 1 of 3