Hey, metalhead here looking for a good high-gain amp that'll do a good job for heavy metal (Megadeth, Slayer, etc.). Looking for a good tube amp that packs a fair amount of gain, and has good cleans. Can't go much past $400, though I can go a little more. May sound stupid for asking this, but I've only used solid states so far and am looking for advice. What are some good brands to look into? Are there any good tube heads within that small of a budget?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
For $400 you'll have to go used for a head.

Do you need a head, or can you get a combo? Also - you don't need super hi-gain for anything really but br00tz - think all your -core bands and true death metal/black metal bands. You don't need oodles of gain for Metallica/Megadeth type music.

I found this out this past weekend - thought I was looking for a super hi-gain amp (6505+, specifically) and wound up finding a better all around sound in the Jet City's.
I'm using a Bugera 333XL and that handles metal really nicely. Picked it up used from Craigslist for $250 (HUGE risk). If you get one that works then that's a pretty viable option.
I recently considered a Crate V100. Although the Carvin is a good solid/cheap Marshall alternative.
You can get a Peavey Windsor for dirt cheap, and spend the rest of your budget modding it or getting pedals for it. A boosted Windsor would nail those thrashy tones though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Crate blue voodoo
B52 at100
Peavey Windsor
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
my blue voodoo does pretty well as it is. its is going to get quite a few mods soon though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I kinda want a Windsor for a backup. Moded of course
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Last edited by iheartgun at Mar 30, 2011,