Hey guys, I know there are hundreds of these threads but the thing is I never have any money to spend on things like this, and guitar is my passion. Basically, I'm getting a nice amp that I'm going to hopefully be using for a while. Yes I will be gigging, and playing at home. Now I just got my job, and I'm going to save up to about 800-900 dollars, a little less or more is acceptable. I am willing to go used, but would not mind new either. I live in Pittsburgh.

Ok, so heres the deal. My favorite type of music is punk, ( real punk sex pistols circle jerks etc) BUT that can basically be achieved with a decent distortion pedal so that is not really important in my search.

My favorite type of music to play is blues. I absolutely love John Mayers tone. I know he spends thousands on Dubmbles, and two rocks, but I figured I could maybe replicate it with some sort of American voiced amp.. Fender most likely. I'd be willing to sacrifice a lot of other tones to get close to that. Also, I'm a big fan of stevie ray vaughans tone, so I've been looking into vibroluxes and what not.

Aside, from that I enjoy the typical classic rock, Led zeppelin etc type tone.

Another thing I like however is the band the libertines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhnK5zXOwL8. The thing is that they use british amps old plexis, and ac30's. That tone is right up there with mayer in my opinion, however vastly different. I've never really had the chance to try an ac30 decently, and not sure if they could handle blues. If there is an amp that replicates the sound of a plexi I would love it, however I don't want to have to crank the shit out of it.. although I know thats asking a lot.

I play a les paul standard, and am eventually gonna put some pafs in it. Also, I'm saving for a dot or something along the lines of it, so my guitar choice could be changing.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I really wanna make the right choice as I never have any money.

Some amps I've been considering: ( some are out of my price range but could save if neccesary)

Jet city 50 watt - I believe its two channels although I've never had the chance to play one, so not really sure what it would be compared to.

Any decent fender tube amp- twin, vibro, etc. Probably would be better off going used

Vox Ac 30 or possibly 15- Love the tone, really do, but not sure which one to get as I know there was some not so good models of these recently

Some sort of plexi sounding amp- but really don't want to have to crank it, so any british voiced amp like this.

Thanks alot guys and sorry for the repetitive thread
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
I'm buying the 50w Jet City this weekend. Woot - can't decide what kinda cab to buy though ><

What would you compare it to? I've honestly never heard one and couldn't find a decent demo. I know its based off the soldano cirtcuits, but I've never been familiar with that sound. Is it more british, american or what?

Does it do low gain well? I have no need for hi gain
I have a 1976 Fender Twin Reverb that has done everything I ever asked it to do. I did use a distortion pedal (DOD FX57) and recently went the pedal board route (Digitech GNX3) to help achieve a wider range of sound. Like you my musical taste is varied (everything from Muddy Waters to Motorhead). Recently I thought I needed a more "metal" looking amp and was considering a Crate V100 (or maybe the Blue Voodoo) but I'd like to try one first. They are affordable and I've seen some good reviews. However nostalgia got me and the Fender is staying (I was 17 when I bought it.... more than half a lifetime ago).
Maybe a Hughes & Kettner? I've played the Edition Tube 25th anniversary and it sounds amazing. Great bluesy leads, nice crunchy rhythm. And I was pretty happy with the clean.
It's the amp I might get to be honest.

Check it out, you might like it.
It's only 20 watts, but for a tube amp that's pretty darn good. These things can be louuuudd
well, here are a few thoughts.

You are all over the board music style wise. nothing wrong with that but that will make your amp decision harder. I mean punk, Mayer, Zeppelin, American blues, is all over the place. You are either going to have to give up something tone wise, use pedals, or go the modeling route. On your craigslist I see a Flextone, Vetta, Spider Valve, etc. I like the Vypyr 60 too.

If you dont' want to do that then I'd look for a used Egnater Renegade. Awesome amp.

I also see someone on your craigslist is desperate to sell a Peavey 3120 for $500. Very versatile but can only run EL34s or 6L6s but not at the same time like the Renegade. You'll need a cab too if you go the head route.

Or - look at something like this maybe:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/2263711888.html
i would look for an old fender. i have a 1968 AB165 bassman that i love, but it has been modded quite a bit by the previous owner's shop.

look silverface for now if you can't find blackface with your budget, and when you have the cash, get it converted to blackface (or do it yourself, which isn't that bad).

as far as distortion pedal, i have no idea what you would want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd say your best bet is a Fender Blues deluxe. Or try out an AC 15 and see what you think. In my opinion it handles blues nicely.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

ding ding ding! we have a winner.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Totally loving this amp. The only thing is, is it reasonable to be able to play this at breakup levels. I'm not talking about diming the thing every day, I just wanna be able to get some breakup without going deaf.. Anyone have any experience with this amp? I'm really considering it..
I'd say the Jet City has some of that British voicing at low gain, and when maxed sounds a touch modern - but falls JUST short American modern hi-gain. Which is fine, because you want some of that classic-rock dirt for what you're playing. It has more distortion than is needed for the classic stuff, kicking it into the lighter metal/all your punk needs could ever want.