Hey, right now I've got a Peavey Vypyr 120 combo with tubes, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a half stack. While I haven't gotten a chance to play around on any of em', I've been thinking about either a Peavey Valveking or a Peavey 6505+. I'm playing technical death metal, similar to bands like Decapitated and Necrophagist. Of the two amps, which one has a better raw sound for the style of music I'm playing? If you don't know either amps, or you have a better suggestion, please post alternatives below. I'd like to avoid using pedals as much as I can, although I could run a Ibanez Tubescreamer through it. Keep in mind, I'm on a teenager's budget. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
Quote by gregs1020
the 6505+

you need a full stack though.

seriously, budget?

Thanks.
And are you asking what my budget is, or are you just incredulous by the fact that I have a budget?
Quote by aLevitatingPnut
Thanks.
And are you asking what my budget is, or are you just incredulous by the fact that I have a budget?

No, he's incredulous that you wouldn't give an actual budget. Budget=amount you're willing/able to spend. That would be a number, preferably in dollars.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by aLevitatingPnut
Thanks.

IF you have a budget, it's a complete mystery to us.

therefor giving you good recommendations is impossible.

also, new amps only or are used amps ok?
nearest major city? used markets ( and new ) vary greatly worldwide.

so keep us guessing or actually provide some useful information.
trust me on this get a line 6 spider iv..

on a more serious note, the valveking wont be nearly as good as the 6505 for what you want to play. go used get a cab with decent speakers it makes a big difference.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Oh, makes sense. Well I have about $250, and I can probably get quite a bit for my Vypyr. My uncle has a marshal cabinet that he's willing to loan me, so I'm really just looking for a head. I don't have to be able to purchase the head immediately, either.
yeah, the valveking would probably be a downgrade from the tube vypyr. get a 6505/5150 or a 3120/XXX
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
not sure what a used vypyr tube would go for. i'm guessing $400-450 but really have no idea, i haven't seen them pop up on craigslist yet.

so maybe $700?

seriously find a way to this...
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2293982453.html rivera knucklehead, $700

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2287625332.html 5150 head, dudes high on crack with the price though.

get that rivera and run away screaming "start the car!".
Quote by gregs1020
not sure what a used vypyr tube would go for. i'm guessing $400-450 but really have no idea, i haven't seen them pop up on craigslist yet.

so maybe $700?

seriously find a way to this...
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2293982453.html rivera knucklehead, $700

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2287625332.html 5150 head, dudes high on crack with the price though.

get that rivera and run away screaming "start the car!".

Just looked up the Rivera, amazing tone and great deal. I'll contact the guy right now, thanks so much for your help man!
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yeah, the valveking would probably be a downgrade from the tube vypyr. get a 6505/5150 or a 3120/XXX

I highly doubt that, maybe for some things, but the Valveking does what it was designed to do better than the Vypyr could ever hope to do, classic rock, cleans, hard rock genre's.

Get a 6505 head with a 2x12 cab, will save you a tone of money, cause half stacks are over rated for most practical use, large gigs without a way to mic up is the only real reason you would need a half stack.
I just bought a 6505+ 112, as in 1 12" speaker. With the volume on 2 on the lead channel, it's enough to go deaf.

I used to have a 100W Marshall MG 100 halfstack, and this new amp would blow it away, in terms of usable volume and sheer brutal tone. Death metal? Yes, it does that quite nicely. I play a mix of death, black, and thrash, and it does all three very well.

I've also played the 6505+ head through a 4X12, and it was even more amazing. I never put the volume above 2 and it was like concert volume. I can't imagine what it would be like cranked.

You need to ask yourself if you'll be playing any big concerts, because the 112 is more than enough for me...and I like to play loud.
Last edited by KailM at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by aLevitatingPnut
Just looked up the Rivera, amazing tone and great deal. I'll contact the guy right now, thanks so much for your help man!

sarcasm and finding good amp deals are what i excel at in life, sadly.

you're welcome.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

i hate the valveking 112 with a passion. doesnt sound like a tube amp to me at all... but thats just me
Quote by KailM
I just bought a 6505+ 112, as in 1 12" speaker. With the volume on 2 on the lead channel, it's enough to go deaf.

ehh that subjective.. i regularly play with the volume on 2 or 3. when i practice with drums its 5-7. thats when you need ear plugs to play for an extended period of time.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by rickyj
i hate the valveking 112 with a passion. doesnt sound like a tube amp to me at all... but thats just me

Lol, check out my MP3's on my page, all done with a Valveking, unless specified otherwise. That'll change your impression of them.
Quote by rickyj

Quote by aLevitatingPnut

Please tell me you have a speaker cab hiding somewhere or you're allotting more money for one. You'll blow up that amp if you don't plug it into a cab.

As in, literally destroy it.

Pretty much instantly.
Quote by Helicopters!
Please tell me you have a speaker cab hiding somewhere or you're allotting more money for one. You'll blow up that amp if you don't plug it into a cab.

Pretty much instantly.

re-read the thread, i think you missed something.
Quote by Helicopters!

Pretty much instantly.

He's already said he's getting a cab from someone.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Helicopters!

Pretty much instantly.

"My uncle has a marshal cabinet that he's willing to loan me"
Thanks for the advice though
Quote by ethan_hanus
Lol, check out my MP3's on my page, all done with a Valveking, unless specified otherwise. That'll change your impression of them.

sounds pretty good....

its possible that its just the one that i played sounds bad. my school bought it used and the bass knob doesnt work. also the reverb sounds like someone is taking a painful shit in a large cave.
get that riv that gregs found you. Every other suggestion in this thread will not come close being as awesome as that.
Quote by whyze250f
ehh that subjective.. i regularly play with the volume on 2 or 3. when i practice with drums its 5-7. thats when you need ear plugs to play for an extended period of time.

I was exaggerating a little, but to prove a point. I've been setting mine right at around 2, and get a good tone there. Playing it on 3, it sounds just as good or better, but I would seriously consider wearing hearing protection at that volume, or turn it down after awhile.

The point I was trying to make is that a tube half-stack is no laughing matter, when for many people a tube combo provides more than enough oomph. I was honestly amazed when I started playing my 6505+ 112. Not that it is a small amp by any means - but I didn't think a single 12" combo could deliver such power...
Quote by AxSilentxLine
That Rivera looks sweet.

Also, how come you never see any threads titled "JAZZ!!! Combo amp."

because Roland Jazz Chorus 120 would be all you would get.

its gotta be right its got JAZZ! right in the name.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ethan_hanus
I highly doubt that, maybe for some things, but the Valveking does what it was designed to do better than the Vypyr could ever hope to do, classic rock, cleans, hard rock genre's.

i mean for technical death metal the valveking won't get a good modern sound; believe me i've heard them side to side at gigging volumes, the valveking sounds great for creamy solos but won't hold up very well if you want to get a clear, heavy sound for that type of music
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
because Roland Jazz Chorus 120 would be all you would get.

its gotta be right its got JAZZ! right in the name.

hmm..should i get a jazzmaster and use jazz iii picks too?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]