Alright. So, this song means a lot to me and I've been trying to learn it (My mother was killed recently and she had always wanted to me learn the song). Anyway, long story short, how the hell can you play this? The notes and chords seem easy enough, but the strum pattern seems fairly random. Is there a pattern I'm missing, or a method? Or has Clapton just once again beat me down?
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
it's fingerpicked.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
That I understand and can do, but the pattern is odd. Everytime you think there is one, it changes up.
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
there is definitely a pattern, a fairly consistent one, that alters between the bass note( thumb picked) and the harmonies (picked with the index and middle finger)... get the notes down, and then listen to the song and play along to get the feel for the rhythm and timing.

you just need to practice, be patient, and use a metronome
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
there is definitely a pattern, a fairly consistent one, that alters between the bass note( thumb picked) and the harmonies (picked with the index and middle finger)... get the notes down, and then listen to the song and play along to get the feel for the rhythm and timing.

you just need to practice, be patient, and use a metronome

Yup, pretty much bass note, then 3rd and 2nd, with some minor variations, and there's the bridge/intersection, where it's all different. So sorry to hear about your mother.
It isnt that ridiculously hard, just (like any Clapton song) he tries to stick too much into them & they end up a bit of a jumble as you are finding. If you aint haveing drama with it you aint doing it right. Take out 1/2 of his crap & the song will come to you. (try Layla "unplugged" to get a hold of the patterning). Just cause you can play all the notes/chords in the world doesnt mean they have to all be in the one song, Clapton seems (IMO) to overcomplicate things, in an attempt to seem like a better guitarist than he is. Don't get me wrong he is a great guitarist. Again just my opinion!!
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
It's okay if you don't get the strum pattern entirely right. My advice is to just get the basic rhythm and expand from there if you can. You might want to go to youtube and look up tutorials. It's a nice way to see how other people make it work.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Yea, it shouldn't be too hard if you can follow tab:
http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/eric-clapton-tears-in-heaven-guitar-tab-s4t2

Thing is, you will pick up the pattern without having to think about it. Just play the verses a few times. I never actually learned the pattern per se, but just followed the tab and I eventually just knew it.
If this is any use to u I play it without sticking to the tabs and it sounds pretty good. Try it before you learn learn the exact way.