I use some ear plugs when performing or when I want to just turn my amp up. Right now I'm using the memory foam disposable kind. Do these ever wear out?
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
if they're disposable then i'm pretty sure they wear out fairly quickly, hence them being disposable.
enjoy your tinnitus

i sure don't

ear plugs only work up to a certain Db. i think about 60-Db
above that, the sound-waves penetrate thru your skull and cause ear damage
As far as hearing loss goes, like most things everybody is different. Some people will experience more hearing loss from exposure to loud noises than others. Even if you don't go partially deaf, tinnitus is a terrible thing to have. The important thing to remember, obviously, is that it cannot be reversed. Once you loose it, it's gone.

Maybe you should check out some Hearo's.

Quote by fc89konkari
so in theory shouldn't all pro's be deaf?

Many musicians wear in ear monitors that also protect their hearing to some degree. But like I said, everybody is effected by noise-induced hearing loss differently.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Mar 30, 2011,
i know its not my thread,but are there any earplugs that make a person deaf as soon as they are put on i need 3 pairs of such plugs for my family members and one pair normal plugs which bring the noise down at normal db levels for me
Last edited by deepsal at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by deepsal
i know its not my thread,but are there any earplugs that make a person deaf as soon as they are put on i need 3 pairs of such plugs for my family members and one pair normal plugs which bring the noise down at normal db levels for me

Yes, its called a knife and it can be bought at walmart. Actually wait. Don't try that. Bad idea

Seriously though, there's no magic completely sound canceling earplug other than actually being deaf. Things like hearos work really well-ive got a pair of the 22NRR ones and they tame the noise of my amp down a lot.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Things like hearos work really well-ive got a pair of the 22NRR ones and they tame the noise of my amp down a lot.

This. I use hearos too and they're great, especially for the price. Granted, they aren't gonna be a set of custom formed earplugs that are good enough for a sound engineer to use in a studio, but there's nothing better if you want a cheap way to protect your hearing on stage or if you just feel like playing loud. They aren't QUITE as transparent as they claim to be, but its definitely better than shoving pieces of foam into your skull.
Quote by sethp
enjoy your tinnitus

i sure don't

ear plugs only work up to a certain Db. i think about 60-Db
above that, the sound-waves penetrate thru your skull and cause ear damage

No idea where you heard that....60dB is VERY quiet. "Normal" conversation is around 60dB!
Ear plugs reduce loud and quiet....they don't stop after 60dB!

If you get 30dB plugs, the idea is that they take away 30dB from everything! 60db-30dB=30dB 120dB-30dB=90dB.
In all actuality, they take a LOT more away. Take a popular foam plug. It's rated at 29dB. but at 125hz it stops 32.9db. At 63Khz it stops a whopping 48.2dB!!!!

Look into "hi-fi" ear plugs. These are designed to have a much flatter frequency responce.
Most other ear plugs cut out more mids, and a LOT more highs than lows making things sound muddy and muffled.

NOTE: thses things work only when used properly (which, it seems, most people do NOT). read the directions, and make sure they are inserted properly! Your ears will thank you.

After 25 years of prolonged exposure to a noisy environment, (9 hours a day at 90dB+) countless music shows and band practices in small rooms, and 17 years of motorcycle road racing, I have nearly perfect hearing! Thanx to proper use of good ear plugs.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Get a set of Hearo's hi-fi earplugs. I swear by them. There's a slight mid cut, but everything sounds way better than it will through the foam kind.

EDIT: ^For reference, my natural speaking voice clocks in at 87db.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Mar 30, 2011,
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Have you considered Musicians Earplugs? They're ear plugs molded to your ear. You can get them made at most hearing centers in Canada/the US. Here in Canada they cost about $75 per ear.
I strongly recommend H.E.A.R.'s site as a good resource for musicians: http://www.hearnet.com/

You don't want to end up being like Pete Townsend.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Last edited by rawkandrowl at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by Vinson

NOTE: thses things work only when used properly (which, it seems, most people do NOT). read the directions, and make sure they are inserted properly! Your ears will thank you.

this; a year or so of wearing solely foam earplugs (not properly the majority of the time) and having band rehearsal several times a week in a small, loud room has given me slight tinnitus, which is such a bitch, and im only 15

definitely go for some plastic ones made for musicians, you'll need to get them eventually anyway so don't even bother with foam ones, they affect your sound in a very uneven way and pretty much muffle out all of the high end, which makes it hard to know what tone will actually sound good if you're playing live
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^ It says they are great for attending concerts so I'd have to say they are good wouldn't you?

I love my Hearos. You can get your first ones for free by going to their web site. Otherwise, they are cheap.

v...... What he said
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
I have some of these in my house: http://www.hearos.com/products/extreme-protection

How are they?

While they are great protection, they are not very good for musicians. They cut out a lot more mids and highs than low end...very muffled sound, But they WILL protect your ears.
It all depends on how critical accurate sound is. Going to a concert...if your not terribly worried about the tone, they are great...If your trying to dial YOUR tone in....maybe not so much.
I suppose once your happy with your tone you could use them, but then you miss out on your awesome tone.
ive had tinnitus on and off for as long as i can remeber, even before i started going to concerts/playing in bands/ listening to loud music. its something i dont even notice anymore unless the room is dead silent and it doesnt bother me at all. plus my hearing is absolutly fine
I also do vocals. Do the Hi-Fis help with hearing my own singing clearer?
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Hearos hi fi do it for me. Gigs, concerts, yeah they do it. I can't comment on tinnitus because I have white noise (non hearing loss) tinnitus, other than it hasn't gotten any worse. I haven't lost any hearing however!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Short of getting custom musos earplugs...
These work well as a budget alternative: http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=7
Just get them in clear.

Everything comes through pretty clearly and the majority of the detail is preserved. They're good for clubbing and concerts; the sound comes through pretty accurately although there is a bit of a cut; but I can talk to people better in loud environments with them in, and they take away some of the harshness of dance music being played ridiculously loud.

That being said... they are a "hi-fi" earplug... and are a good "cheap" option if you only need this protection at home or the occasional gig and you want to use them elsewhere; everyone should really have a pair XD
but.. if you're gigging frequently, definitely look into a moulded pair of musician's earplugs from an audiologist for the best quality.

Ohh about vocals... you may need monitors... but I haven't had experience with a properly moulded pair, just the er-20s. I can't actually hear myself with those in, so sometimes I might talk too quietly and I sure as hell can't sing with them... The cheaper hearo type things are handy to have anyway if you go out, but yeah, you'll have to see how you go singing with them... it's weird.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 3, 2011,
I'm heavily in the corner of getting custom moulded ones, they're about $150 to start, but when it's your hearing concerned and you're a musician......

If you want to ignore that however, I'd experiment with a bunch of cheapos, before I got mine every set of cheap ones were different in terms of what frequency came through, although most just let the low end through, which as a guitarist, was not much help.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub