I wanted to get some guidelines for recording a demo as a cover band.

Quick Facts: we record in a friend's garage. We play all at once [2guitar, 1bass, 3 vocal mic] into a Mackie VLZ 1202 mixer. We have no mics for drums, we let the sound bleed in. Currently using Audacity for DAW.

Here's a link to our Kings of Leon - Use Somebody cover [also in my UG profile]...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C2wH70VhEU

I am seeking help on the audio engineering of our song; here are some questions we had...
  • Is lead guitar too quiet?
  • Are the guitars tonality okay? (bass mid treb)
  • Are guitars matching the vocals properly VOLUME-wise?
  • Is the bass okay tone-wise and volume-wise?
  • We don't mic the drums - sound bleeds into mic; is this completely unusable for our recordings to give to bar owners?

Please let me know what improvements need to be made to our recording!
Also feel free to add comments on improving our setup; our first priority is to investing in mics from the drums (need guidance here too - how many/what price range for under 100$)
As a demo to give to a bar owner, I would say the performance is fine, but the recording needs to be a little better.

If that is your goal for recording, and you don't want to invest a lot of money, consider two options:
-get something like a Zoom H2 recorder. You can use it to record your rehearsals. For a top-40 pop/rock cover band, a good solid performance captured with one of these should be adequate. You can also use it to evaluate your rehearsals / progress.
-for about the same price, book a day in a local project studio. Record three songs and get better quality than you will get with $3000 of your own money invested in gear and a year of trying to figure it out.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

-for about the same price, book a day in a local project studio. Record three songs and get better quality than you will get with $3000 of your own money invested in gear and a year of trying to figure it out.

CT

Yeah, man. Too many people want to record themselves but forget that on top of needing to invest a lot of money in gear you also need years of experience to make a good quality recording. Going to a studio to record, you get to use all the expensive gear and you get the experienced engineer to handle it all. Nothing wrong with wanting to take recording up yourself, but if you're not totally serious about it and willing to invest the time, you should go to a studio.