I've been playing guitar for three months, but i want to be in a band so bad. I started talking about it to my close friends, and they liked the idea of forming a band.

A friend of mine will be the keyboardist, there is another friend who will buy a guitar next month, another friend will be the singer(she would probably buy a bass to learn too), so we need to find a drummer.

The thing is, "we are all beginners"(some of us aren't even at that level ), I'm the second most experienced one with an instrument....

I know that forming this band at this stage seems ridiculous, but when i think about it, all that comes to my mind is the Fun to be had.

Do you guys think this is going to work out? seriously.
Coercing your friends into playing instruments is not a good sign for success. They've got to want to learn. It's easy for beginners to give up. I've seen it happen multiple times.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by sloppyjoe24
Coercing your friends into playing instruments is not a good sign for success. They've got to want to learn. It's easy for beginners to give up. I've seen it happen multiple times.

This is very true, but if they WANT to learn, totally go for it. That kind of stuff is alot of fun, even if it sucks. Believe me, it's worth it if they want it.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
This is very true, but if they WANT to learn, totally go for it. That kind of stuff is alot of fun, even if it sucks. Believe me, it's worth it if they want it.

I wouldn't force them. Forcing someone to do something is rude.
I told them about the idea, and they where kind of excited.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote by sloppyjoe24

+1

but if they actually want to learn, go for it! If I've learned one thing this last year its that its way more fun playing with people you get along with and arent fantastic players, than people who are really good players but are arseholes.
even you make horrible horrid terrible music it'll be fun. And when you get better you'll be able to look at some things that you may have recorded at this point and laugh. i think you guys will have fun untill someone gets pissy because he's not the LEAD guitarist or whatever.
My sig? Nice.
Go for it! My first band started the same way. Looking back, we were terrible. But it was still some of the most fun I've ever had in my life. After three years we actually got to be pretty decent but then we all had to go off to college.

But yeah, give it a shot. You probably won't be great at first. You may even be terrible. You'll still have fun though, and you can only improve. Just don't expect to be selling out clubs in your first month.

Quote by BurningTurkey
even you make horrible horrid terrible music it'll be fun. And when you get better you'll be able to look at some things that you may have recorded at this point and laugh. i think you guys will have fun untill someone gets pissy because he's not the LEAD guitarist or whatever.

So true, this is exactly the kind of thing that happened with us.
Last edited by shortyafter at Mar 30, 2011,
i stil have the cd we made and it literally hurts to listen to. but we had so much fun writing those songs
My sig? Nice.
Quote by BurningTurkey
i stil have the cd we made and it literally hurts to listen to. but we had so much fun writing those songs

Yeah man I know exactly what you mean, I love listening to old stuff. It's hilarious and nostalgic all at the same time. And I'll never forget how to play/sing the first songs we wrote. As bad as they are, I still love em.
It's like this.
Learning to play a guitar alone in your bedroom or even via lessons makes you good at playing guitar.... on your own.
Jamming with your buddies makes you good at playing with other people, while you are learning to master the instrument at the same time.

The band itself probably will not get anywhere, first projects rarely do, but the whole experience will definately stand you in good stead for future projects.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by guy_tebache
+1

but if they actually want to learn, go for it! If I've learned one thing this last year its that its way more fun playing with people you get along with and arent fantastic players, than people who are really good players but are arseholes.

well maybe not arseholes but in my last band i didnt know some of them well but we still rocked...this is in contrast to my other band with my firends who after a few sessions had me hating them