Short and sweet, I love the versatility of HSH, and I love my Carvin feel-wise, but I wish it sounded a little more clear and open, a little more of that good, shimmery top-end, not the "Treble up on ten" top-end. Unfortunately though, the Carvin pickups are a little muddy it feels like. I'm not sure if the pickups are the cause of this, so I was wondering if anyone has some simpler, cheaper solutions for fixing this issue(Besides the inane like using toothpaste on the bridge to brighten the sound. Get real guys, everyone knows that increases the bottom-end, not the high-end), and if not, some pickup recommendations in the range of $50-$75 each?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Evolution bridge
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
So your other guitars don't sound muddy on that amp? Still using that Frontman? All my guitars sound muddy on my MG30DFX, and they all sound great on my JVM. Including the one with the Duncan SH-8 pups and even the one with the Duncan Design HB-108 pups. Even my MIA Strat w/SSS sounds muddy on the MG.
It might cost you a little more then 75 bucks, but EMG's would clear up your problem, and more. Guaranteed.

If you want to stick to passives, try the Dimarzio Breed pickups, really really clear sounding, and not overly trebly. Versatile pickups to say the least. I have one installed in the neck position of my guitar.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Try twiddeling the EQ knobs on your amp more. Also adjust the pickup hight.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by sacamano79
Evolution bridge

Way too high-output. It's my fault for not mentioning it, but I like medium-output pickups at hottest.

Quote by jetwash69
So your other guitars don't sound muddy on that amp? Still using that Frontman? All my guitars sound muddy on my MG30DFX, and they all sound great on my JVM. Including the one with the Duncan SH-8 pups and even the one with the Duncan Design HB-108 pups. Even my MIA Strat w/SSS sounds muddy on the MG.

I got rid of that thing a long time ago. Using a Blues Junior now. Been looking into trading up to something British voiced for the past year or so, but the budget keeps getting chewed up by things.

Quote by Nimbus456
It might cost you a little more then 75 bucks, but EMG's would clear up your problem, and more. Guaranteed.

If you want to stick to passives, try the Dimarzio Breed pickups, really really clear sounding, and not overly trebly. Versatile pickups to say the least. I have one installed in the neck position of my guitar.

Aye, I'd like to avoid actives if possible - The guys at Carvin said I filled up the electronics cavity with my inane wiring, I'm afraid of what'll happen if I put batteries in there! That, and I don't think they make an HSH set. As for the Breed, again, I should've mentioned it, but I want to try to keep the output from getting too high if I can.

Quote by Bhaok
Try twiddeling the EQ knobs on your amp more. Also adjust the pickup hight.

Will mess with that later tonight, if it works I'll mention so here.

Quote by italiarlz135
what you really need is a new.....

humbucker?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-579350.html

Unfortunately, outside of the country of origin, body shape, neck scale, and bolt-on joint, it's a very different guitar from an American strat(Mahogany vs. alder & maple, ebony vs. maple/rosewood, strat wiring vs. my madness, hardtail vs. trem, etc.), so I'm not sure how much of the recommendation from that thread would be applicable.

Quote by Nimbus456

Agreed! Not as trebly as the Evo and works great with Basswood and Alder.

Also, if you have speakers that tend to emphasize the low Mids and Lows, get one with tighter low Mids or Lows. So, instead of G12K100s or G12T100s, try Swamp Thang, if you still like the thump.

Or, get a SLO! (I always wanted to say that! )

Quote by trueamerican

The PAF may work, but I'm just concerned since, according to Carvin's site, the C22 is supposed to be PAF-voiced. Who knows though, maybe they just got it wrong. And a Burst Bucker 3 was actually the bridge pickup in a Les Paul I really loved, but couldn't afford, so that may be a match. Not sure if the thinner maple cap and different assembly will effect it though.

Quote by Ippon
Agreed! Not as trebly as the Evo and works great with Basswood and Alder.

Also, if you have speakers that tend to emphasize the low Mids and Lows, get one with tighter low Mids or Lows. So, instead of G12K100s or G12T100s, try Swamp Thang, if you still like the thump.

Or, get a SLO! (I always wanted to say that! )

I'm not using basswood or alder though And I've never really looked into speakers much, I always figured the amp voicing and pickups did more to effect the sound, though thinking about it, I imagine since it's what puts it out, the speaker's just as if not more important than the rest.

Anyway, it's the stock speaker in a Blues Junior, though I don't know how it's EQ'd, so I can't be sure whether or not it's the culprit. It says it was manufactured by Eminence, so I guess given the character of the Hot Rod series it's based on an old Eminence from the 60's, is that any help?

And if you'll pay for it, gladly! the Jet Cities were actually big on the list of lower-price British-voiced amps I mentioned looking into, coincidentally.

It's a stock Carvin pickup. "PAF" voiced is like "Duncan Designed." It means it's going to suck, basically.

Plus, it's Joe Satriani's signature pickup. And with the money you save on a cheaper PAF you can spend on a Burstbucker. I think it'll be a pretty sick combination. The thinner maple cap shouldn't make much of a difference.
Please don't buy a Burstbucker, there are so many better attempts at PAF* recreations out there by good small winders for roughly the same price or slightly more.

*I say PAF meaning copies of Gibson's old Patent Applied For pickups, not Dimarzio's butchered "PAF" pickup which is nothing like a genuine Gibson PAF.
Dimarzio Norton in the bridge, Humbucker from Hell in the neck
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Seymour Duncans, any, for sustain... Di Marzio, any, for crisp/crunch.

I reccomend nothing less than 500k vol/tone pots. I hear CTS is a good make.
All new electronics to do any new pickups justice oughter' stop the mud.

I personally like to go for American Standard, for knobs and switch sizes. I'd say $30 should cover new vol/tone pots, switches and jack sockets, get all new those, and then worry about brandname pickups, if you get a Seymour Duncan, install it in a low end guitar with stock electronics, it will sound stifled.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by trueamerican
It's a stock Carvin pickup. "PAF" voiced is like "Duncan Designed." It means it's going to suck, basically.

Plus, it's Joe Satriani's signature pickup. And with the money you save on a cheaper PAF you can spend on a Burstbucker. I think it'll be a pretty sick combination. The thinner maple cap shouldn't make much of a difference.

Well, a lot of signature gear, to me, seems designed to make you sound like the artist no matter what you put in the line. I went to see him live in December, I'm a big fan, but I'm not looking to parrot Joe Satch.

Quote by al112987
Please don't buy a Burstbucker, there are so many better attempts at PAF* recreations out there by good small winders for roughly the same price or slightly more.

*I say PAF meaning copies of Gibson's old Patent Applied For pickups, not Dimarzio's butchered "PAF" pickup which is nothing like a genuine Gibson PAF.

Could you be more specific? "Small boutique pickup makers" on the internet is like taking someone to a bazaar with hundreds of stores and saying "The food store here has better prices"

Quote by treborillusion
Seymour Duncans, any, for sustain... Di Marzio, any, for crisp/crunch.
I reccomend nothing less than 500k vol/tone pots. I hear CTS is a good make.
All new electronics to do any new pickups justice oughter' stop the mud.

I personally like to go for American Standard, for knobs and switch sizes. I'd say $30 should cover new vol/tone pots, switches and jack sockets, get all new those, and then worry about brandname pickups, if you get a Seymour Duncan, install it in a low end guitar with stock electronics, it will sound stifled.

I'm sorry, but that's just a ludicrous statement.

An I don't know why you've bothered pointing out that "you" recommend nothing less than 500k pots, everybody and their dog uses 500k for humbuckers, 250k for singles...that's the industry standard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by necrosis1193
Well, a lot of signature gear, to me, seems designed to make you sound like the artist no matter what you put in the line. I went to see him live in December, I'm a big fan, but I'm not looking to parrot Joe Satch.

Could you be more specific? "Small boutique pickup makers" on the internet is like taking someone to a bazaar with hundreds of stores and saying "The food store here has better prices"
Well... PAFs come in all sorts of flavors, but I think the most versatile are the slightly overwound late '50s early '60s PAFs.

Check out the Wolfetone Marshallhead. http://wolfetone.com/marshallhead.html#

It's hot by vintage standards, but pretty mild by modern day standards. I use the Marshallhead Mk II myself which is the same wind but lower output (the "unknown player" clip on the Mk II page is mine). It's definitely an open sounding pickup, not a lot of compression, very dynamic and responsive. It's bright but not grating, the Mk II that I use is a little bit more balanced, but has less output than the normal Marshallhead which is hotter and has more mids and a... honkier sort of sound in the mids. If that makes sense. They're definitely not muddy though.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by steven seagull
I'm sorry, but that's just a ludicrous statement.

An I don't know why you've bothered pointing out that "you" recommend nothing less than 500k pots, everybody and their dog uses 500k for humbuckers, 250k for singles...that's the industry standard.

Missed that one, thanks for getting it for me! Missed your recommendation too, but looking over it, that may work, though I was always given the impression the Air Norton was a neck pickup?

Quote by al112987
Well... PAFs come in all sorts of flavors, but I think the most versatile are the slightly overwound late '50s early '60s PAFs.

Check out the Wolfetone Marshallhead. http://wolfetone.com/marshallhead.html#

It's hot by vintage standards, but pretty mild by modern day standards. I use the Marshallhead Mk II myself which is the same wind but lower output (the "unknown player" clip on the Mk II page is mine). It's definitely an open sounding pickup, not a lot of compression, very dynamic and responsive. It's bright but not grating, the Mk II that I use is a little bit more balanced, but has less output than the normal Marshallhead which is hotter and has more mids and a... honkier sort of sound in the mids. If that makes sense. They're definitely not muddy though.

I'm really liking what I hear of the Marshallhead, but I'm not sure I can justify $350 for a set of pickups, as I'm kind of poor right now. They sound immaculate though.

Air Norton and Norton are two different models, the Norton is primarily a bridge pickup, although it works as a neck in certain situations.

Moderat output, nice balanced, even tonal range and good harmonic response.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Air Norton and Norton are two different models, the Norton is primarily a bridge pickup, although it works as a neck in certain situations.

Moderat output, nice balanced, even tonal range and good harmonic response.

Hmm...well, how do they differ? All I know is that one is an airbucker, and the Norton is about 1.5 times hotter according to DiMarzio's ratings. I don't know much about the tonal characteristics of individual pickups, as until now I've been fine stock, so never paid it much mind.

What happened with the adjustment of the pickup hight?The guitar is HSH if you are chasing the tone from a Strat with that configuration you will not find it. Just the difference in the physical placement of the pickups will prevent that. You can get good tone but not the same. What amp are you using? Burstbuckers are good pickups. I have the pros in my Les Paul and while the bridge position is too bright for my taste the tone from from the neck position absolutely sings.
As to the Wolftone pickups. I am good friends with Wolfe and he is more than willing to sit down and talk tone with you. Just remember price is relative. You are having something made to your specs and needs. It helps to know exactly what you are after.
For me tone has been a 30 year chase. I have yet to find the tone in my head but also do not know if it is even possible to get it. Some times it is not the kill but the thrill of the chase.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
What happened with the adjustment of the pickup hight?The guitar is HSH if you are chasing the tone from a Strat with that configuration you will not find it. Just the difference in the physical placement of the pickups will prevent that. You can get good tone but not the same. What amp are you using? Burstbuckers are good pickups. I have the pros in my Les Paul and while the bridge position is too bright for my taste the tone from from the neck position absolutely sings.
As to the Wolftone pickups. I am good friends with Wolfe and he is more than willing to sit down and talk tone with you. Just remember price is relative. You are having something made to your specs and needs. It helps to know exactly what you are after.
For me tone has been a 30 year chase. I have yet to find the tone in my head but also do not know if it is even possible to get it. Some times it is not the kill but the thrill of the chase.

I tried the pickup adjustment. It helped, but it didn't fully solve things. And I'm not chasing the sound of a strat - It gets the quack in positions 2 and 4 just fine, what I want is humbuckers that don't turn to mush, that I can enjoy listening to for a full set. The issue is more with the full 'bucker positions than the strat positions.

And I'm aware that I'd be getting something handmade just for me - The problem isn't that I don't want that or anything, the problem is I can't afford it. A set of Marshallheads would run $260, which is assuming my specifications don't add anything to the cost, and then if the middle pickup doesn't mix well with them, it's another $90 for a Wolfetone single-coil. I'd love to go for the Wolfetone pickups if I can, but I just don't have the money, and I want to get gigging for my new album ASAP.

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...well, how do they differ? All I know is that one is an airbucker, and the Norton is about 1.5 times hotter according to DiMarzio's ratings. I don't know much about the tonal characteristics of individual pickups, as until now I've been fine stock, so never paid it much mind.

Air Norton has pretty chopped treble response, too chopped IMO, and is a very contemporary sounding pickup. To me it's a little too dull and prone to mud.

The Norton is a different beast altogether, it's a nicely balanced pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Air Norton has pretty chopped treble response, too chopped IMO, and is a very contemporary sounding pickup. To me it's a little too dull and prone to mud.

The Norton is a different beast altogether, it's a nicely balanced pickup.

Hmm...well, they're both within my price range, and a local shop I like has both, so I'll see about giving them a look. Any guitars with them stock I can try them out in?

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...well, they're both within my price range, and a local shop I like has both, so I'll see about giving them a look. Any guitars with them stock I can try them out in?

None that I know of I'm afraid - I think the Humbucker from Hell is no-brainer in the neck for you though as far as wanting more top end and a bit of shimmer. You could also mix and match, maybe a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge if you want something a little rougher around the edges.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
None that I know of I'm afraid - I think the Humbucker from Hell is no-brainer in the neck for you though as far as wanting more top end and a bit of shimmer. You could also mix and match, maybe a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge if you want something a little rougher around the edges.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to mix-and-match at the moment - If I had the money to go through multiple sets of store-bought pickups, I'd be going with those custom Wolfetones. Would it help if I gave some songs with similar sounds to what I'm looking for with these?

At this point yes it would, rattle a few things off
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well, the neck pickup's fairly simple - I mainly want three sounds from it: That sort of smooth, fat-but-clear vintage-with-balls tone a lot of faster guys get from the neck pickup(Think Satch's solo on Super Colossal, and as much as I hate his bridge tone, Yngwie), the "Woman Tone" kind of thing Clapton used a lot with Cream, that Randy Bachman used on American Woman and that Carlos Santana arguably used a bit on the first Santana record, and the, fat-but-articulate type of stratty neck pickup sound SRV and Hendrix got.

The bridge is always changing, but usually what I'm looking for is something along the lines of either Buck Dharma on most of the Fire Of Unknown Origin album, Joe Walsh on Life's Been Good, Joe Satch again, and, trite as it is, Jimmy Page once he got a Les Paul - Fat and warm, but with a top-end that makes itself known, and with distinction in the notes.

I should mention that when I say clarity, as nice as a clear pickup is, I less mean something that stays clean more, but rather something that doesn't turn to mush with distortion up; The Carvins sound fine and good clean, but when I kick on a drive pedal, they turn bland and annoying. What I want out of it when I say clarity is articulation and responsiveness to the playing dynamics and distinction between notes.

I know there's probably a lot of stuff in there that drastically conflicts in everyone's mind but my own, but I figure it's better to start at than nowhere.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Apr 1, 2011,
Hump de bump