After realizing how bad my rhythm is I purchased a metronome but I'm not quite sure how to use it. Hopefully you guys can help. Anyways, I currently trying to get the opening to "Around The World" by Red Hot Chili Peppers down but am failing hard.
So can anyone tell how I would get this part to speed by practicing to a metronome? How would I go about using it?

Also, how do people generally find the BPM of a song?

Here's a link to the song if you haven't heard it and want to try and help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKe-oqJVgZI
While I think you might be better with a drum machine since it's the closest thing possible to playing with a real drummer, a metronome should be fine to fine tune your time.

The easiest way to figure out the tempo is by looking at the drum pattern in a bar, which in the majority of music goes like

1           2       3           4
Bass drum - Snare - Bass Drum - Snare

Counting that repeatedly will give you the quarter note tempo which is the one you'll want. Just either tap it in or get as close to it with your metronome while counting it yourself.

You could do the same thing for simple basslines that repeat the root constantly, but seeing how you're into RHCP that wont work most of the time.

Eventually as you get better at playing against a metronome or drum machine, you'll be able to pick out the tempo from any instrument and play along with it in time.
Last edited by Pillo114 at Mar 30, 2011,
The way i taught myself was tappin my foot or improvising with only a metronome and my guitar.