Hey Pit

I'm working on this essay for Uni and I'm stuck. I've got to analyse a bunch of songs from several genres and the only songs I can find for Fusion and Latin (samba, bossa nova etc ) that dont make my ears bleed or bore me to sleep are both Santana songs. I dont think it would be a good idea to use two santana songs.

Can anyone suggest some fusion or latin songs that are catchy and typical of their style? (ie stock-standard instrumentation, use of typical stylistic chord patterns and rhythms etc etc)
For Fusion listen to Pat Metheny and John Scofield (you may find them a bit dull but they're a pretty good representation of fusion), if you want to go for guys who aren't qute as typical to fusion but are a bit more intriguing take a look into Guthrie Govan and Greg Howe.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
For Fusion listen to Pat Metheny and John Scofield (you may find them a bit dull but they're a pretty good representation of fusion), if you want to go for guys who aren't qute as typical to fusion but are a bit more intriguing take a look into Guthrie Govan and Greg Howe.

As much as I'd like to have stuff I like, its probably more important to have stuff that is really boringly typical of the style, so the Metheny and Scofield stuff is probably bang on.

Cheers guys this is all great stuff
Quote by guy_tebache
As much as I'd like to have stuff I like, its probably more important to have stuff that is really boringly typical of the style, so the Metheny and Scofield stuff is probably bang on.

Cheers guys this is all great stuff

Personally I think the stuff like Metheny and Scofield that's typical of the genre is really good, but glad I could help!
Combine the two of them and use some of the Fania All Stars songs that used Billy Cobham on drums. Or the record John McLaughlin did with Santana. Or Mongo Santamaria's cover of Watermelon Man by Herbie Hancock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Gk9eAqIVM

Maybe you'd be more interested in you know the song they're doing. This is Mongo doing Daytripper.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Mar 30, 2011,
Listen to Greg Howe's "Reunion" on Sound Proof. Has a little latin percussion style during the chorus, and fusion instrumentation.
"Balance not just for karate, balance for whole life."