Hi everyone!

This summer I was planning on recording my own EP, but I don't really have the money to book a studio or buy a crazy amount of recording equipment or software.

I have one mic that plugs directly into the USB port of my laptop, and it sounds great. But i guess i could get myself another one, if need be.

Anyways, my issue is that I can't really record in my basement because my Dad has an office down there and it would bother him while he's working. We have a woodshop in the back yard, but then the neighbours might complain, if i have to get loud or get carried away having too much fun haha

i was thinking of renting a cheap storage unit not far from here, but would i even be aloud to like set up in there, and would i have access to electricity?

I you guys have any cool places like that, it would be good to know... i mean, The Black Keys album Rubber Factory was recorded in the basement of a tire factory, and it sounds great! anyways, let me know! thanks!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Have you thought about contacting local schools and asking if you could use a classroom/hall or something while they're empty (you said the summer so that's an ideal time as the kids are off forages on holiday meaning you won't be a disruption). You could even offer to pay them a small amount if they don't approve at first. That is probably your best cheap (potentially free) option, and as schools are generally located on a large piece of land, you can make plenty of noise as you'd be pretty isolated.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I'd imagine a storage unit would be the shittiest place to record, unless you can acoustically treat it.
I doubt there would be any power as well.
..I was watching my death.
storage units almost always have power.

though I don't get your situation.
I'm assuming you have no room upstairs.
meaning the basement is your bedroom.
meaning your dad's office is in your bedroom.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 30, 2011,
This would be my advice - Kindly go ask your neighbors and try to set up hours where you can be loud and they'll be out of the house/won't care. Other than that I would recommend trying a rough setup at a rehearsal space? Around here it's about 20 or some odd dollars per hour.

Quote by TechnicolorType
storage units almost always have power.

though I don't get your situation.
I'm assuming you have no room upstairs.
meaning the basement is your bedroom.
meaning your dad's office is in your bedroom.

What? How did you come to the conclusion that he has no upstairs? And even if he didn't, why would you assume his room is in the basement?
Quote by Meelad360
What? How did you come to the conclusion that he has no upstairs? And even if he didn't, why would you assume his room is in the basement?
I was referring to a bedroom. Because if he has a bedroom then I don't see why he can't record in there and he referred to the basement as his basement, like it might be his room.
It's pretty common for people to have their bedroom in a basement.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I was referring to a bedroom. Because if he has a bedroom then I don't see why he can't record in there and he referred to the basement as his basement, like it might be his room.
It's pretty common for people to have their bedroom in a basement.

I know you were referring to a bedroom. He probably can't record in there because it gets too loud or something, idk. All I'm saying it's pretty far fetched for you to just assume all of this.

Also, I refer to the kitchen in my house as my kitchen...doesn't mean my room is in the kitchen.
I know you were referring to a bedroom. He probably can't record in there because it gets too loud or something, idk.
Recording isn't a loud process unless you're mic'ing up an amp, drumset, some different instruments, or yelling/ scream vocals. Judging by his profile he doesn't do the last and he said he was using a USB mic which isn't going to really do it for the other wants. He never mentioned using any other microphones. If his dad was in the basement at the same time then even normal level singing or guitar playing could be irritating to his work which would make sense why he can't there. Going into a bedroom would work fine.
Also, I refer to the kitchen in my house as my kitchen...doesn't mean my room is in the kitchen.
And this is relevant why? The way you say something isn't the same as the way every other person does. Plenty of people generally refer to a location such as a basement as 'the basement' rather than 'my' because it isn't their personal room for living. This doesn't mean people won't refer it to in another way, but that's not the point.
He directly stated his issue was that he couldn't record in his basement and never mentioned anything about not being able to record in a bedroom. His second alternative was a woodshop. A ton of people record in bedrooms without a problem and for his wants of using a usb mic it'd be totally normal so I have every right to think his bedroom might be the basement due to what he said and since he never mentioned anything about a bedroom.

There's my explanation for you.
Happy?

Quote by Meelad360
All I'm saying it's pretty far fetched for you to just assume all of this.
Okay? Keep your opinion to yourself then when the post doesn't relate to you in anyway. Seriously. My post was directed to OP. Not you.

leave me alone.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 30, 2011,
I'm pretty sure the bedroom is the first place anyone tries to record...

also, if you are bothered that much by people scrutinizing your posts on a public forum maybe you should go somewhere else. not trying to be a jerk, just sayin'
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'm pretty sure the bedroom is the first place anyone tries to record...

also, if you are bothered that much by people scrutinizing your posts on a public forum maybe you should go somewhere else. not trying to be a jerk, just sayin'

Took the words right out of my mouth
Personally, I think this argument is irrelevant (and technically spamming the thread) because you're stupidly discussing her assumptions on his original post - I too presumed the basement was TS' room due to the way the post is worded, but this is all irrelevant again.

Renting a rehearsal place is a pretty pointless idea - many semi-pro recording studios would charge a similar hourly rate and you'd get a proper set-up and maybe even the help of an engineer - not to mention most rehearsal spaces aren't as wellsound-proofed as you'd hope, and for quiet stuff you do get leakage of sound from other rooms.

As for asking the neighbours, he already gives the impression this wouldn't be an option, and I wouldn't want to work in what sounds like a toolshed in a garden anyway due to noise from outside (cars, lawnmowers, kids playing loudly etc.).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Personally, I think this argument is irrelevant (and technically spamming the thread) because you're stupidly discussing her assumptions on his original post - I too presumed the basement was TS' room due to the way the post is worded, but this is all irrelevant again.

Renting a rehearsal place is a pretty pointless idea - many semi-pro recording studios would charge a similar hourly rate and you'd get a proper set-up and maybe even the help of an engineer - not to mention most rehearsal spaces aren't as wellsound-proofed as you'd hope, and for quiet stuff you do get leakage of sound from other rooms.

As for asking the neighbours, he already gives the impression this wouldn't be an option, and I wouldn't want to work in what sounds like a toolshed in a garden anyway due to noise from outside (cars, lawnmowers, kids playing loudly etc.).

It's not even an argument...I was just wondering how she came to that conclusion O_o

And yeah your idea would probably be better...I'm not too sure on studio rates (that's why I didn't suggest one).
My concern is you're looking at renting out a place to record when you don't have the tools to do it. It's like renting a car when you don't have a licence.

Sure, you can make a recording with a single USB microphone, but it's not going to be anything you'll want to release. With that in mind, I would just check with the neighbours and request their indulgence for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon. Or if it is the summer time, a Tuesday afternoon when they won't be home anyways.

You're not doing drums, are you? With a single mic? No. I can't imagine, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I record with my video camera, upload to my youtube, then download a free mp3 of my video thanks to http://www.flv2mp3.com - I then uploaded my mp3s to Ultimate Guitar. That is how I record, be it in a rather crude way.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.