Hi so i have been using economy picking for everything so far but i am interested in learning alternate picking. I have one i hope you guys can answer:

1.when alternate picking, do you always start on an upstroke?(or downstroke)

For an economy picker converting into a alternate picker, its quite hard to process the brain to alternate pick as the muscle memory for economy picking is already there so is there any advice on how to make sure that i am able to do any of them at my will ?
I now have a signature
When alternate picking most people start on a downstroke but the best players start on a stroke that makes it easiest for them.

Really though, if you can actually economy pick well anyway you don't need to separately learn to alternate pick, just make sure you practice well and keep your technique tight.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My advice is to practice pentatonics in a way that feels comfortable. It'll force you to alternate pick.
: )
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Really though, if you can actually economy pick well anyway you don't need to separately learn to alternate pick, just make sure you practice well and keep your technique tight.

I agree!! It's a far more efficient way of picking. (Listen to Frank Gambale! haha)
Quote by JimmyAlford
I agree!! It's a far more efficient way of picking. (Listen to Frank Gambale! haha)

yea to me its easier but i think learning both technique is also good
I now have a signature
I'm a little confused by this. Alternate picking and Economy picking are 2 different things and they're both situational. You shouldn't be using one or the other just for the sake of doing so, there are circumstances in which you would use each.

For example, if you're doing Yngwie Malmsteen neoclassical shred, you pretty much have to alternate pick.

If you're doing some technical Paul Gilbert playing, economy picking is typically better.

Maybe I'm not understanding you fully.
I'd say it is worth the effort to learn alternate picking. Economy picking produces a less aggressive sound, making it difficult to get that shreddy "woodchips flying from the guitar" sensation. Unless I'm playing a highly arpegiated passage I use strait alternate since it provides consistency, whereas with economy picking you more frequently have to adapt your picking to the passage.
You should learn how to play both ways, because they are both very useful. Alternate picking and economy picking aren't even that different, it's just when you're changing strings, and that's only if your last pick stroke was in the same direction as the next note you're picking.
isn't economy picking considered the more advanced form? I think alternate picking is best for mid-tempo leads, seeing as it gives pretty good attack