Hey guys,

Soon I will have to make my two university choices for next year. Right now, for my insurance choice, I'm torn between the University of Bristol and the University of Strathclyde.

In terms of grades, it would be slightly easier for me to get into Strathclyde, however, I don't really find the concept of moving to Scotland appealing at them moment (based entirely on Trainspotting and rumours of bad weather )

Any people living in Scotland, more specifically Glasgow, who can tell me more about student life there?

Thanks for the help

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Glasgow:

Home of shortbread, stabbing, and heroin.

Quote by the times online
The murder rate in Glasgow was also well above those in Minsk, the capital of Belarus (3.8) and Istanbul (4.8%).
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
What's your first choice?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by McTodd
What's your first choice?

Imperial

Forza Juve

Glasgow. A city the Germans should have bombed just for the hell of it.
Imperial's bitchin, just get in there.
What're you studying?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by McTodd
Imperial's bitchin, just get in there.
What're you studying?

Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I wish it were that easy I'm pretty confident I'll make it, but you never know.

After readign the first comments, I'm more inclined to go with Bristol.

Forza Juve

Glasgow is a fantastic city, with an amazing culture. A great city if you don't support Celtic or Rangers. Yes, it does rain, rather a lot, but you get used to it.
don't go with bristol, it's down south right? rather get murdered by a scottish crack head than bummed by some southern kooks loving fairy
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
I don't know much about Glasgow, but Bristol is lovely. It's probably a better uni too.

stratkat
The University of Strathclyde has a cool name. So I say go with that one.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
OH, and I actually live in Glasgow, so I have first hand experience of how nice it is. Murder capital, yes. Nicest city in Europe? Yes. So if you do get stabbed, we'll give you directions to the nearest hospital.
Quote by EuBoat
I don't know much about Glasgow, but Bristol is lovely. It's probably a better uni too.

As far as teaching, they are pretty much even. The problem is that Strathclyde asks for slightly less to get in, and I'd be pretty much sure of making it. With Bristol I wouldn't be so sure.

If they asked for the same grades, this problem wouldn't exist

Forza Juve

In the interests of fairness, Glasgow's a lot nicer than anyone here is making out, and Strathclyde is pretty good for Engineering.
you are not to blame for bittersweet distractor
Most students that are pansys (like yourself) just limit their movement to the West End so you'll be fine there.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Strathy students are cunts.

[/caley student]

do it though. Moving to Glasgow to study was probably the best thing I ever did.]

more seriously - Strathclyde is supposed to be great for that course, and the social life in Glasgow is absolutely excellent, as is the music scene.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by uk.mace
Bristol's a really nice city for the most part, I'd come here if I were in your position (I'm at Bristol now).

Me and my best mate went to Bristol town to have a nightout last weekend. He moved to Yates after Christmas so I got a lift with my other mate from Birmingham.
If you want a good nightclub, try Thekla. It's on a motherfucking boat!
I've always lived in Glasgow, and I'm currently studying at Strathclyde myself
It's got a fantastic reputation as a university, and it has great links with industry so the job prospects are pretty awesome.
Glasgow as a city is nowhere near as bad as people are saying. The east end is pretty bad, but you'd never have to go there. The University of Strathclyde is in the centre, so there's nothing to worry about. Plus, there's an epic CD shop nearby!
Quote by masterohumans
You can yell at anybody for anything as longas you're holding a Bible. I've learned that.
Bristol Uni is pretty awesome.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
My Dad is from Glasgow, I've been a few times..it's a pretty cool place IMO. For a few years it would be great, no longer though.
Glasgow's a really nice place with stunning architecture, amazing nightlife and a great music scene. /tourist brochure

But seriously, Glasgow's pretty good if you can get used to the rain. Summer's amazing though, I think last year it was on a Friday.