This seems...totally weird.
Especially the drums...it's chaotic and...honsestly, annoying._.
Had to close it after 1 minute.
Fair enough.
What makes it seem weird to you. The odd meter or just the way it is written?
I got to leave home....
I can write you a bigger explaination when I'M back home this evening and got my dictionairy with me
Mix wise, stuff gets pretty busy in the middle and it's kinda difficult to process everything that's going on. I'd try make everything sit and gel a bit better. I think lower the gain on the guitars could help a lot.

Composition wise, the only quartal stuff that's standing out to me is aug 4ths in the chugs time to time and the piano you've got before the guitars. I think it'd be a much better exercise in composition to incorporation more guitar parts playing the quartal harmonies and making the harmonics the main focal point of the composition. The synth and bells don't really go together well at all which makes it difficult to pick up harmonies they are playing together.
Thanks for the comments guys

Quote by Odirunn
Mix wise, stuff gets pretty busy in the middle and it's kinda difficult to process everything that's going on. I'd try make everything sit and gel a bit better. I think lower the gain on the guitars could help a lot.

Composition wise, the only quartal stuff that's standing out to me is aug 4ths in the chugs time to time and the piano you've got before the guitars. I think it'd be a much better exercise in composition to incorporation more guitar parts playing the quartal harmonies and making the harmonics the main focal point of the composition. The synth and bells don't really go together well at all which makes it difficult to pick up harmonies they are playing together.

Yeah i was gunna re mix it anyway. Probably do that at some point tomorrow. As for the quartal stuff. The bells are actually playing out arpeggiated quartal chords so there is more quartal harmony then you may realise.. i will mess with the tones and try to clear up the mix more. Thanks for the crit though.
So okay, I'm back.

I read my words up there, they sound to hard...didn't want to make an offense!
alright, *headphones on*

What's the first instrument? sounds like a kalimba or something.
It matches the bass line very good, but I think the drums are a little bit too aggressive or...hmm..unusual?
The guitars are a little bit overdosed or....too much gain? They make everything muddy and chaotic.
And this kalimba-or-whatever-first-theme-sound crashes with this melody at 1:00. I think this is too much and my ears don't know on what they should concentrate. IMO, the main-kalimba-thing should go a little bit in the background, to make the new atmosphere-theme clearer and make the stuff more open and rich in variety. At around 1:56 where the background goes away, the main theme is coming back. I like this.So you have an opening and a final that matches together.
But the middle is too overload with too much things going on together.
That's what I meant with chaotic and annoying. My ears don't know on what they should concentrate and just say "f++k off", you know?
Or you could leave the guitars and drums in the middle, and the two / three melody lines seperated in the left and right channel.

Hope you understand me!
Quote by whaip
So okay, I'm back.

I read my words up there, they sound to hard...didn't want to make an offense!
alright, *headphones on*

What's the first instrument? sounds like a kalimba or something.
It matches the bass line very good, but I think the drums are a little bit too aggressive or...hmm..unusual?
The guitars are a little bit overdosed or....too much gain? They make everything muddy and chaotic.
And this kalimba-or-whatever-first-theme-sound crashes with this melody at 1:00. I think this is too much and my ears don't know on what they should concentrate. IMO, the main-kalimba-thing should go a little bit in the background, to make the new atmosphere-theme clearer and make the stuff more open and rich in variety. At around 1:56 where the background goes away, the main theme is coming back. I like this.So you have an opening and a final that matches together.
But the middle is too overload with too much things going on together.
That's what I meant with chaotic and annoying. My ears don't know on what they should concentrate and just say "f++k off", you know?
Or you could leave the guitars and drums in the middle, and the two / three melody lines seperated in the left and right channel.

Hope you understand me!

Thanks a lot for your crit man.
First of all, the first melody is played on Glock and Xylophone in unison. Sounds quite cool i think.
As for what you said about what happens at 1:00 thats the part I was most unhappy about as well. I liked everything on its own but together it all sounds muddy. I just quickly had a go at panning each melody to the left and right and it really works. Great idea there so thanks for that. I will do a proper mix down for that tomorrow and upload it. Is the whole of the drum or just particular phrases that feel aggressive to you?
Last edited by ibanezfaz at Mar 30, 2011,