To personally think you're a better guitarist than someone? but not voice it.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
why would that be wrong?
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
why would that be wrong?

I dunno, I guess some people would think the person say it was cocky or summin.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Everyone does it. Just make sure you don't be a jerk about it.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Mar 30, 2011,
Anyone that says they don't have thoughts of superiority from time to time is a liar. The obnoxious people are those that don't realize these thoughts to be rude and stupid and voice them anyway.
Well like in the sense of being better in technicality, theory and performance.

I don't know man...

I look at it this way...

I may have some skill sets that others dont have, but I dont judge myself by others. I judge myself by how closely I hear and follow my musical voice. To me comparing myself to someone else, is an admission of my need to use others to validate/or justify what I can do. I don't think I need that.

What are you in it for? Ego and pride, or to learn to express yourself. If you are confident in what you do, play it and shut up (not you personally, my philosophy) and maybe reach people. I dont care if someone's better than me, because if they are they got there from practice and hard work and putting in time that I haven't into their thing. Its all a function of what someone puts into it.

I have students that can leave vapor trails around me, and thats because they put in that time, while my time is spent teaching and nurturing guitarists. It's a fine tradeoff. I'm happy, people like me, I'm good.

For every person I see that may not have the skill set or abilities I have, I also see myself as that person X number of years ago. It keeps me humble man. Life is too short to worry who is better.

tl/dr?

If they are better than me I respect the practice and work they've put into learning their instrument, if they wear it on their sleeve and are egotistical and arrogant, I see that as a mask of weakness and a sign of weak character and I pity their smallness.

If they are not better than me and are arrogant I see it as a sign of the need for maturity, if they are trying, I relate to them, and remember how tough it was for me when I was learning and coming up.

Everything else, in the comparison game just seems so small and insignificant. Just play enjoy and have fun. Let small minded people work it out on their own, because in the end, its who are are that matters, not so much what you've learned to mechanically or technically do.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 30, 2011,
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Well, lets face it, out of the millions of guitarists out there - you're going to be better than some of them.

So, no, it's not wrong to think you're better than somebody.

But I would hesitate to get more specific than that. Sean's got the grownups attitude to the subject nailed methinks.
Personally I think most musicians recognize when someone is better than them. If you can't immediately identify who is better, you probably both have strengths and weaknesses, which means you can both learn from each other.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
It's very rare that you'll meet a guitarist who doesn't know something you don't, it may be tiny but there's always something.

Worrying about who's "better" is a meaningless, subjective term anywhow. Instead make a point of trying to find out what those things are and get them to teach them to you, and likewise teach them the things you know that they don't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com