does it require routing?
the reason that i am asking is that my local music store has a Squier telecaster custom with P90s in it and they also have a set of used EMG pickups.

thanks
I'm pretty sure that P90s and EMG humbuckers are NOT the same size... so it probably will require routing...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
If they're not the same size anyway (or just don't fit in the slot) then it will require some routing. The best way to do this, and probably the only real way of doing it, is to make a jig which the bearing on the router blade can run on to keep the shape you want.

To make the jig you can do a number of things depending on what equipment you have access to. Assuming you don't have access to laser cutter, you can try to cut a jig by hand from some 5mm acrylic or other versatile plastic. The other option is to use wood, but I find that often chips and gets dented more easily if the blade slips.

It's pretty easy to do in reality, you just gotta make sure you set it all up properly It may be worth some practice with a router first before you use it on your guitar..?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
i'm pretty sure if you're talking about the tele deluxe, there is a model with humbuckers instead. that would just be a drop in job
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Quote by lolometer1
i'm pretty sure if you're talking about the tele deluxe, there is a model with humbuckers instead. that would just be a drop in job

its the squier tele custom p-90 and its the only one in the shop as they sell used guitars
Quote by makutoid
If they're not the same size anyway (or just don't fit in the slot) then it will require some routing. The best way to do this, and probably the only real way of doing it, is to make a jig which the bearing on the router blade can run on to keep the shape you want.

To make the jig you can do a number of things depending on what equipment you have access to. Assuming you don't have access to laser cutter, you can try to cut a jig by hand from some 5mm acrylic or other versatile plastic. The other option is to use wood, but I find that often chips and gets dented more easily if the blade slips.

It's pretty easy to do in reality, you just gotta make sure you set it all up properly It may be worth some practice with a router first before you use it on your guitar..?

i wouldn't install them, i'd get the guy at the shop to do it, i just wanted an idea of what needed to be done so i could get an idea of how much it would cost
ah cool, sorry then :P it shouldn't cost much really, unless they reeeaaally rip you off! I'd say it shouldn't cost more than about £20 but I dunno if you're in the UK or not so could be something totally different :L either way, shouldn't cost much
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Since they are actual p90s you will need a new pickguard. P90s are longer but narrower than humbuckers. So you might be able to widen the pickup hole but there would not be any plastic for the mounting screws since humbuckers are shorter. The routing under the pickguard probably wont be an issue.