I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not but I have a few questions on running live sound. My band has a pretty decent PA system. We run it our selves when we play gigs (usually we set everything up and then my dad sits there and changes the volumes if needed but doesn't touch anything else). Now ever since we got this PA (2 years ago), all I do is sit and read and look up articles and what not on how to run the sound and make it sound better. Me and the band always get into little tiffs cuz I always change stuff cuz of something I read to make us sound better and they always disagree with what I do. Here are some examples:

1.) I downloaded a chart that shows all the frequencies and how they work with different instruments such as cutting mids on such and such instrument will make it sound more clear. Two practices ago I used this chart and went through each of our mixer channels and did what that chart said. It sounded really good and clear but they said it sounded empty?

2.) From what I read and understand, a graphic EQ in a PA system should not be used to just boost/cut, but to kind of EQ the room or fill in the frequencies that are missing in the room if that makes sense. So at a show I always try to find time to go through each band on the EQ and see if it needs filled in according to the room. Well the drummer thinks it should be set and left alone. Also this one time we played a gig and there were professionals running sound and before the show they had a guy go up to a mic and hold his hand over it to purposefully cause feedback while the FOH went through each band on the EQ and dialed it in. Is this a quick way to EQ a venue instead of just listening?

What I want to know is should I really follow these charts and what not? Am I not correct in my information? If anybody could link me to some good sites/videos to running sound that would be great.
You should always EQ the PA system for each individual room/venue. It's mainly used to cut but yes, depending on the room, you could boost certain frequencies. EQ-ing vocals you generally want to gradually tail the EQ down to nothing from 250Hz to 20Hz.

Placing a hand over the mic is a neat trick but generally you'd just slowly raise the level on the board. You do it to hear the pitch of the feedback so that that frequency can then be notched down on the EQ; then raise the level again and take the next frequency down and repeat until you reach the previously mentioned 200-250Hz.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Mar 30, 2011,