hey guys

Im going to buy a distortion/metal pedal. I have an Ibanez RGA42 and play through a Line 6 spider IV. I play metal, and i play metallica, Bullet for My Valentine, Parkway Drive, Bring Me The Horizon etc. Budget is £100. Any ideas?

cheers
NO.

save and upgrade to a new amp. plus any pedals going into a modeling amp sound like poo.
EVERYONE on here is going to tell you this
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Hate to say it, but you really have to save up for a new amp. A pedal won't really help much with the spider iv. Trust me, I have the spider iii and refuse to use it now
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
Quote by iheartgun
NO.

save and upgrade to a new amp. plus any pedals going into a modeling amp sound like poo.
EVERYONE on here is going to tell you this

And that's the problem, maybe he wants something now.

Metal Muffs are pretty nice, though they're hard to find cheap.

The Boss Power Stack pedal's pretty wicked too.
yeah i need it pretty soon and i wont be able to get a new amp just yet
Let's start off simple:

What don't you like currently about your distortion. What channel are you using. How are you EQ'ing? You're possibly using too much gain which = muddy BADNESS. Also, the Spider will just NOT take a dirt pedal well. It will sound like poo. Bad poo.. the poo you get after eating lots of bad food. The bad poo..

AVOID THE POO MAN
it is a problem. its a bad problem that many people (including myself) have gone through with those amps.

honestly just save your money and use the onboard fx of the spider. a distortion pedal is kinda a step to the side instead of moving forward.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I would say for one do not touch the insane channel on the amp unless the gain is at 0 because that channel is an unavoidable mud factory. However, the metal channel on green with the gain around 7 or 8 is something you can work with. For an amp like that I'd put Bass around 6-7, Mids 5, and Treble 7-8. Try that out. It will sound better than any dirt pedal you would put through that amp.
the Hardwire Metal Distortion is the best cheap distortion pedal that I know of. If you run it through the clean channel of your amp, you should hear a big upgrade from your on board distortion.

A better option would. Be to sell your Spider, and get a Used Peavey Vypyr 30+. Some would see it as a side step, but I firmly believe its actually an upgrade in tone from a Spider.

The best, and consequently most difficult option would be to do nothing, and save for a good amp. $450 can get you a used 6505+ 112, or if you're lucky a 5150 212. It could also afford a XXX or Ultra half stack. It's not that much money, really, and this would be by far the most worth it in the long run.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
okay, thanks for all the replies guys. Do you think its worth saving up for a 6505+ 112 then? or are there any other amps for round abut the same price range that are better?
Depends really on how heavy you want to get. I use a VK 212 with your exact guitar and a Bad Monkey and I easily get into heavy metal territory. I bought the VK212 for $400 used on Ebay. You could definitely find a VK112 for $300. I wouldn't say it's super heavy but it definitely has some gain, especially if you do a few simple mods.
The 6505+ 112 is a metal machine and will be wayyyyy better than your spider.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Once you get a new amp, go for a MXR Fullbore Metal. Sounds fantastic for Bullet For My Valentine
Quote by iheartgun

honestly just save your money and use the onboard fx of the spider. a distortion pedal is kinda a step to the side instead of moving forward.

this. in my opinion, getting a metal distortion pedal is just a dumb idea unless maybe you have an amp that does other sounds well, like a fender twin for example, and you just want to be able to dabble into high gain sounds. otherwise, it's not really going to improve your sound; maybe at first you'll think its way better, but once you get used to it, you'll realize that it's just on the same level as your amp's distortion pretty much. just stick with the spider tones, that would be your best bet.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Offworld92
the Hardwire Metal Distortion is the best cheap distortion pedal that I know of. If you run it through the clean channel of your amp, you should hear a big upgrade from your on board distortion.

A better option would. Be to sell your Spider, and get a Used Peavey Vypyr 30+. Some would see it as a side step, but I firmly believe its actually an upgrade in tone from a Spider.

The best, and consequently most difficult option would be to do nothing, and save for a good amp. $450 can get you a used 6505+ 112, or if you're lucky a 5150 212. It could also afford a XXX or Ultra half stack. It's not that much money, really, and this would be by far the most worth it in the long run.

I bought the Hardwire TL-2 a few weeks ago. Blows away the Boss MT-2 I had, for about the same price.

And as everyone has already said, get a new (or used) amp.
for what you play: bullet for my valentine parkway drive type stuff

a 6506 will definitely be a good choice
look into bugera as well i think its the 6260 or somethin like that. its pretty much on par with a 6505 with better cleans
look on your local craigslist for a used 5150 combo as well
on the cheap an old crate blue voodoo works well i have one and love it to death.
the xxx and 3120 are also great options.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by BFMV1995
okay, thanks for all the replies guys. Do you think its worth saving up for a 6505+ 112 then? or are there any other amps for round abut the same price range that are better?

for the style of music you listen to, the 6505+ is definitely your best bet
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by evmac
I would say for one do not touch the insane channel on the amp unless the gain is at 0 because that channel is an unavoidable mud factory. However, the metal channel on green with the gain around 7 or 8 is something you can work with. For an amp like that I'd put Bass around 6-7, Mids 5, and Treble 7-8. Try that out. It will sound better than any dirt pedal you would put through that amp.

I can vouch for this man. As an ex spider owner, I can confirm that he knows his shit.

EDIT: For metal, your cheap amp options are pretty much the 6505+ 112, Bugera 6260/6262, Bugera 333/333XL, Jet City JCA5012, or JCA5212RC.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Mar 30, 2011,