I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I should set the settings of my bass head? It's a hartke systems model HA5000, Transient Attack. I'm not really good with soundwaves and how to make it sound good for performances and all that. But, if you would like a picture of it here's one: http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/HA5000-0be616481544a5650b085ade5843a5ae.jpg (not my pic but, you get the idea)

My guitarist was messing with mine and ****ed it up and now it doesn't sound too good. The only thing you should know is that I play in a metal band, and when this thing is hooked up with my other equipment, it's loud, just the way I and the rest of the band members want it. So, if anything, I would preferably like some settings that would work out well for a metal band.

Please and thank you, Jamal.
Dude, I think the best way to figure that out is to start with the settings in the picture, except for the preamp settings. Put them both at 0. While playing, gradually turn the tube setting up, so you can learn the sound. Then, do the same for the solid state. You may want a little of both, depending on your preference. In my experience, compression won't really change the sound much, but it will change how it is felt, in your bones. For metal, the EQ setting shown is probably good. I personally add just a little more bass and a touch less high. Depends on your cab and how it responds. Dunno about the contour. I play through a GK, so I'm not familiar. Crossover is your personal taste. I would do the same with it that you did with the preamp setting. No freaking clue what they mean by balance. When you find the settings you like, write them down. People like to play with stuff. Best of luck, brother! Let me know how it turns out.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Hey Jamal!
I found your owner's manual online. I'm not trying to sound ugly, but have you read it? I'm sure you're probably anxious to jam. But, it will tell you how to set your head up. It will also give you a wealth of background knowledge and probably answer some of the 'whys'. Setup starts on pg 9. But, take your time and read the whole thing through. If you don't have it, here you go: http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/related_docs/5000_7000_manual.pdf

Good luck, broham!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Do you have a specific tone that you like? For instance, what bass players tone do you want to make yours?
Every room is different. How a bass EQ setup sounds in one room isn't likely to sound the same in another one. You just have to play with it, with an eye toward what you want.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by deeptubes
Dude, I think the best way to figure that out is to start with the settings in the picture, except for the preamp settings. Put them both at 0. While playing, gradually turn the tube setting up, so you can learn the sound. Then, do the same for the solid state. You may want a little of both, depending on your preference. In my experience, compression won't really change the sound much, but it will change how it is felt, in your bones. For metal, the EQ setting shown is probably good. I personally add just a little more bass and a touch less high. Depends on your cab and how it responds. Dunno about the contour. I play through a GK, so I'm not familiar. Crossover is your personal taste. I would do the same with it that you did with the preamp setting. No freaking clue what they mean by balance. When you find the settings you like, write them down. People like to play with stuff. Best of luck, brother! Let me know how it turns out.

It's funny, I have a GK BackLineX. That's what I'm using. Anyhow, I saw the manual you gave me so I'm just going to use that to see what happens. I'll give you a message and see if it works for me or not. But, thanks a lot for the advice.

Also, I wasn't going for any special sound, I just wanted to have some balls in my sound because I also sing for the band.