Hello UG,
Im sorry if this same question has already been posted millions of times, but I cant really be bothered to search for it. Anyway, after a lot of searching with my band for a singer, we can't really find anyone with our tastes/ interests, and with me being the guitar player, it's looks like i'm gonna have to be the singer. The only problem is, my singing is really horrible, and i've been trying for like a year now. I've been told that I'm "singing with my throat, not my stomach", and that i'm not projecting, but everytime I try, I can't seem to get it. Getting lessons is a little bit out of the question right now, maybe I could swing it later, and I would like to be able to work on it now. If anyone has any tips or ideas, that would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
Can't give you too much advice seeing as how I can't really sing either, but when you breathe in, breathe so that your stomach/lower lungs expand, not your chest. Try lying on your back with a book on your stomach, and try lifting it up with your breathing. Try to get used to breathing a bit like this.
So when you then sing from your stomach (diaphragm) it should take some pressure off your throat.
Also drink water.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Maybe your drummer can sing? Roger Taylor/Phil Collins style.

I have begged both my drummer and bassist to try but they're too self-consious

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
breath from low down in your belly, and push with your belly, support the note all the way through. don't breath with your chest.

also, make sure the focus of the sound is at the front of your face rather than at the back of your throat.
---
Quote by Robfreitag
push with your belly

No, no, no... a thousand times no.

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

^ Read the bottom paragraph called "the hold of the breath."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^^read that whole web site.

learn how your diaphragm works. use it to suck air in. hold your breath then begin to sing. Stay in your range drink water. and dont smoke and sing at the same time.

dont force the projection that needs to come naturally. light hums will get air to your sinus cavities. great for resonating.

Trying singing like an opera singer while you practice. yawning opens the throat Ahh sounds are good too.
Oh i probably should have mentioned that almost of all the time I try to sing, I'm also trying to play guitar. Should I be just singing at first, or does it not really matter?

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
If you were learning how to tie your shoes, would it not be easier to do so if you weren't trying to read at the same time?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.