Hey, i have almost owned a Fender limeted edition koa strat for a year now and the tuning stability isnt all that great, since i brought it i have added locking tuners and two new string trees and it keeps in tune ok but not amazing.

it has a floating trem with only two springs attacheted to the block, i just read somewhere that if you add more springs then you can increase the tuning stability. is this true?
Gear

Fender KOA Strat with seymour duncan hot rails.
Maverick F1-Detox

Black HT-5 Combo

Boss SD-1
Boss CH-1
EHX Holy grail
EHX Memory boy
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Cybaby Wah
Voodoo Labs pedal power plus 2
If you don't want it to be floating anymore just add more springs until it is resting flat on the body. And to answer your question... yes. Basic physics says more tension will bring it back to it's starting position a lot better. I'd probably go with 3 or 4 springs depending on how heavy strings you have
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by mak364
Hey, i have almost owned a Fender limeted edition koa strat for a year now and the tuning stability isnt all that great, since i brought it i have added locking tuners and two new string trees and it keeps in tune ok but not amazing.

it has a floating trem with only two springs attacheted to the block, i just read somewhere that if you add more springs then you can increase the tuning stability. is this true?

Like sammo_boi said Yes... if you don't want or even use the floating trem you could always block it. That's what Eric Clapton does to his, you wedge a small peice of wood between the trem and the body. And in essense you create a ghetto hard-tail.

One thing you may want to check out is replacing your stock nut. I'm guessing you have the stock bone or plastic nut in there now. There is a chance the strings are binding up in the nut which creates alot of tuning issues.

Fender makes an LSR Roller Nut, and there are alot of companies who make graphite nuts. Basically they are low friction nuts so your string won't bind. It may or may not help your problem, but its something else you may want to take into consideration
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Mar 30, 2011,
ok cool.

as far as the springs go, my strings are 9's because i love the feel of them and dont notice any tonal differences with them compared to 10's. so would adding more springs put a lot of pressure on them?
Gear

Maverick F1-Detox

Black HT-5 Combo

Boss SD-1
Boss CH-1
EHX Holy grail
EHX Memory boy
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Cybaby Wah
Yeah it will pull more on the strings, but won't create a heavier tension.

I'd go to three springs instead of two
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
cool i will give that a go, cheers dude.
Gear

Maverick F1-Detox

Black HT-5 Combo

Boss SD-1
Boss CH-1
EHX Holy grail
EHX Memory boy
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Cybaby Wah