Hey I mostly play guitar but might have to play bass next year at my church, and I was wondering how many watts the bass amp should be. I will be playing in a gym on stage over drums, an acoustic guitar, and I think 2 electrics, but I don't know how loud bass amps are compared to guitar amps. I think they can mic it but it gets a little muddy so usually they don't.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
Quote by GS LEAD 5
A bass amp needs to be at least 3x as loud as a guitar amp to be heard.
It also depends a lot on the efficiency of your speakers and your cabs.

Budget?
Styles?
New or used?
Location?

Probably like 200-250 bucks,and I'd be fine going used.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
For a church band? You're only gonna need like 100W. You'll have to turn it up past halfway most likely (oh no!) but that's more than enough. I used to play in my church's youth band and I had a Fender Rumble 100..it really depends on how loud the guitars are though.

If it helps at all too, I play a 200W amp in my actual band and my guitarist has a 100W head and cab, and I'm plenty loud enough for shows.
The usage of Watts is deceptive, or maybe I should say deceptively used. Theres "Peak Watts" and "Music Watts" and a whole host of balogna. RMS watts (if you can find a company that honestly rates that way) is the real rating you want to look for and even that can be deceptive.
Crude Example:
I use a solid state amp for my video theater stuff rated at 150w per channel.
I use a McIntosh MC275 for music, rated at 75w per channel.
The Mac will blow the transistors out of the room.
For bass I use a Sunn 200s....60w rms and a pair of JBL 140s.......plenty for just about anywhere.

See what I mean?

Try a variety of amps out. The one that is pleasing to you is the one you want