So I think, I'd like to swap out speakers in my Hot Rod Deluxe III, but I was just wondering what people would suggest. Budget isn't really a problem. I need something that will be really versatile, because I play all sorts of rock, from Dream Theater to Ten Years After, From Zeppelin to Wintersleep. I either use my Fender Amer. Stan. Strat, my '87 MIJ ESP, or my Ibanez Hollowbody. I think that just about covers it, I hope.
So suggestions?
I like Eminence Patroits, there warmer sounding speakers. I had the fender but it was too bright and I was use to a bit more gain, loved the clean channel.
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Last edited by ksmc at Mar 30, 2011,
I've heard Celestion V30's are nice in HRDs. I myself am looking in to the WGS Veteran 30 for mine. It's supposed to be a cheaper, better version of the Celestion.

BTW, have you compared the III with the last model they had out? How's the drive channel?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
i have a HRD, not the III though. it's the 2nd version. i have it plugged into a mesa 2x12 at the moment and i think it sounds really good. although i don't think vintage 30s would be my FIRST choice for this amp. although for the styles you want, a vintage 30 is probably the most used speaker. do you use the amps distortion or pedals?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I would go for an American voiced speaker since it is an american voiced amp. I have the II and replaced the speaker with a Jensen Neo 12 inch, and it sounds amazing! I would go with that. It also takes a bit of weight off the amp. its very versatile and it sounds great overdriven.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by barden1069
I've heard Celestion V30's are nice in HRDs. I myself am looking in to the WGS Veteran 30 for mine. It's supposed to be a cheaper, better version of the Celestion.

BTW, have you compared the III with the last model they had out? How's the drive channel?

I tried a HRDx II about a year ago and thought it sounded like shit on the drive channel. Consequently, I ruled them out of my amp search for a long time. Then Last January I saw a guy at GC jamming out on a HRDx III and it sounded good, so I bought one. It took me a while to dial it in, but I really like the sound now.

I noticed a huge improvement in the tone of my amp after a month or so of playing. I heard that speaker cones are really stiff when they are new and that they soften up with use which improves the tone. Maybe your speaker isn't broken in yet?