So ive seen a few threads on this kind of but i want something specific, Bi-polar disorder is a pretty big issue for some whether they suffer or not but i want to see some opinions on it whether there negative or positive.

Ive suffered alot from this, i see myself without many friends because people cant handle me but from a young age ive had to deal with this alone so i was wondering does the pit have any experience with this and how have they dealt with this

Im sorry if this is a problem to anyone or even if i didnt use the search bar effectively but i need to figure this out and i dont want pro help
I just want to understand guys, help?
I am having difficulty understanding you. Are you diagnosed with bi-polar disorder? Bipolar 1 or 2?Are you on medication? How old are you?

My uncle has it and he relies heavily on support from his family, mainly my mother and his parents. He's a nice guy and is really into bowling, but he gets paranoid very often. He's currently in a hospital because he stopped taking his medication, but we hope to get him back home soon.

You need support and medication, if it's serious.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
What do you want to understand?

Bipolar Disorder sucks.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 but i dont take help for it, i have no job right now and refuse to take help for anything i cant pay for but i struggle with alot of people i just wanted to hear similar stories of people, maybe i would hear storied worse than my own so i could feel better, i dont know
Quote by Rufusftw
I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 but i dont take help for it, i have no job right now and refuse to take help for anything i cant pay for but i struggle with alot of people i just wanted to hear similar stories of people, maybe i would hear storied worse than my own so i could feel better, i dont know

Im sorry. What symptoms do you suffer from, specifically?
-Jim Morrison
I go through stages of depression and "mania" my doctor wanted me to go to bushyfield (its the nearest institution but my parents were against it.

EDIT: I should add that over the years ive dealt with this through drinking and drugs and its done me no good.
One of my family members got diagnosed with bi-polar recently. It's horrible, it can really mess a person up. The psychosis that people can experience due to it is the worst thing about it. You would think you were talking to a different person.
Well, that sounds like bipolar disorder. A few weeks of depression, short phases of mania inbetween. How old are you? I was convinced I had it as well, but turns out I was just going through a really troubled time. I'm not bipolar, but I go through period of harsh depression every winter.

If it gets the point where your health is in danger, ignore your parents and go.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Rufusftw
I suffer from II. I failed high school because of it. I used to be medicated so much to rid myself of the racing thoughts and anxiety that I was isolated in a zombie mind. I never had that many friends because something about me was always "different." I have no friends now. I can't hold a job. I've broken countless things from my frightening anger. I've wasted thousands of dollars on self-medicating with illicit drugs. Life's a bitch.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
My sister has it and I think I have it. It's pretty much destroyed my sister's life.

Either that or she's an arsehole and I wish she'd just **** off.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Im almost 21, ive been hospitalized a few times from trying to do myself serious harm (i dont want to cause anyone any distress) and i want to ignore them but i got my little brothers to look after so im stuck really
Quote by Rufusftw
Im almost 21, ive been hospitalized a few times from trying to do myself serious harm (i dont want to cause anyone any distress) and i want to ignore them but i got my little brothers to look after so im stuck really

Alright man, I hope this helps you, but please don't listen to my advice and just blow it out the window. You need to do this for yourself, alright? It can help you.

Your case is incredibly similar to my uncles. When he turned 20, he began hurting himself in random ways. My grandfather told me privately, that he once saw him jump off of his balcony and onto his head and severely injured himself in the process, lucky he didn't break his neck. He was in a manic state.

You don't need to be institutionalized unless you're a danger to yourself; you're not in a manic state, you're normal, you're fine. But just understand that unless you do go on some medication, you might hurt yourself.

You need to see a psychiatrist. He will likely prescribe you two medications, one antidepressant and an anti-anxiety. I know that you don't like the idea of going on medication, I don't either. But sometimes, the benefits outweigh the risks. In your case, I believe it's a good choice, but ultimately it's up to you and your doctor to have a discussion and decide.

My uncle is a great guy. He's in his 50s, bowls on weekends, drives, and is a nice guy to be around. He's on antidepressants and antianxiety medicine. It's only when he goes off of it that he has issues, like he has this month.

So, seriously, from someone who's felt the affects of bipolar disorder in the family, call your family doctor as soon as you can, and tell him that you need a referral to a psychiatrist for bipolar medication. He'll set up an appointment for you, and give you a referral to a professional who will be able to improve your outlook on life.

I hope this helps you, friend.
-Jim Morrison
This is why i like the pit, with all its crazy games and things going on it still has time to help people you guys rock and slinkyblue thats good advise
^Anti-Depressants are known to make Bipolar Disorder even worse.

Mood Stabilizers are used to treat it, like: Lithium or Depakote.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I thought i had bipolar disorder as i had alot of sudden mood changes and thousands of thoughts rushing through my head at times and depression episodes.

I went through manic depression episodes for a few months and didn't sleep much at all, self harmed also.

Turns out i didn't, i was just very emotionally unstable and depressed.
(Much better now though, this was all in my teen years to).

If you think you have bi polar disorder talk to your parents if your young or seek some professional mental health help. You may need med depending on how it affects your daily life.

Sorry if i wasn't much help..
Good luck
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by metal4all
Some Anti-Depressants are known to make Bipolar Disorder even worse.

Not all.
-Jim Morrison
one of my best friend has it. i dont know details, but ive always found that just being there is the best thing i can do. and try to make sure i see him regularly.

ts: theres is always people to help you with whatever you need.
now extra flamey
i had a friend called max, he is the smartest guy i've ever met, we're still in the same school but not friends anymore. he told me he has bi-polar disorder, but i think he's just living a shit life. he cuts himself because he wants to 'get the poison out' of his system. think of the smartest guy in your school/college, that is him.

i had to really get to know him to know he cuts himself. he seemed like any other guy. but we're not friends anymore because one night he goes all out when i'm watching derren brown, and texts me saying 'you're a ****ing dick, i don't want to have anything to do with you'. we haven't been friends since, although he's apologized, i told him i don't want to be friends with him anymore.

i think his bi-polar is from his dad dying two years ago which tore his family apart. he also lives in a depressing environment.
You sure you're not just bi-winning?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Well, that sounds like bipolar disorder. A few weeks of depression, short phases of mania inbetween. How old are you? I was convinced I had it as well, but turns out I was just going through a really troubled time. I'm not bipolar, but I go through period of harsh depression every winter.

If it gets the point where your health is in danger, ignore your parents and go.

Isn't that seasonal affective disorder?

OT: I was diagnosed with BPII about...6 years ago. As I understand, it's not as severe as BPI in that it has no real negative psychosis to it.
I've been living off about 5 - 6 hours sleep a night for 90% of that time, and I just cannot make myself get any more downtime. Haven't been on any medication for a few years because I convinced myself it was a placebo, and the doctor agreed to see how it went for a bit. It doesn't affect day to day routines, but in conversations with people, they do pick up quite often in conversations that I'll be normal for half of it, and eventually I'll just be a raging pessimist about everything. I have maybe...3 close friends who I talk to, I choose to make myself antisocial, and a lot of people started to dislike me anyway because of my tendency to turn into a "horrible person".
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Mar 30, 2011,
Bi-polarity is the most awesome illness of all and I ****ing hate it!
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Thanks for this thread, my doctor mentioned Bipolar Type 2 recently. Hopefully it will be fairly interesting.
Although i'm very sure i'm not, interesting to find more out about it anyway.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Not all.
Tell me why you would treat the disease with the medication for a completely different one.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Tell me why you would treat the disease with the medication for a completely different one.

You misunderstand me.. antidepressants are commonly used in the non-manic phases of bipolar disorder, while chlorpromazine is used to treat the manic state.

Depression is not an entirely different condition from bipolar disorder. Bipolar induces depression, so while antidepressants don't necessarily treat the ups and downs of bipolar disorder, it does treat the downs.

My uncles on an SSRI, so while your point may hold some validity, my own family member is on it... so..
-Jim Morrison
Quote by ChucklesMginty
There are anti-depressants designed specifically for bipolar disorder.
Atypical. Tricyclic, SSRI's, and MAOI's, no.

Still, you don't use regular antidepressants and anxiety medication to treat bipolar.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
You misunderstand me.. antidepressants are commonly used in the non-manic phases of bipolar disorder, while chlorpromazine is used to treat the manic state.

Depression is not an entirely different condition from bipolar disorder. Bipolar induces depression, so while antidepressants don't necessarily treat the ups and downs of bipolar disorder, it does treat the downs.

My uncles on an SSRI, so while your point may hold some validity, my own family member is on it... so..
It doesn't treat the source if you do it like that.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Mar 30, 2011,
I am bipolar as well. I don't take a stabilizer (yet) but I do take a common antidepressant (citalopram) to treat the downs.
i don't know why i feel so dry
rawr. My uncle's psychiatrist is wrong, then.

Quote by metal4all

It doesn't treat the source if you do it like that.

Few medications do.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Problem?
Yes. I fucking hate Bipolar Disorder.

Edit: Whatever Slinky.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I feel for you guys, Bipolar disorder sucks. I have a couple of friends who have it, maybe having ADD helps me relate better with them, but it takes a lot of patience and never being judgemental.

One thing i've noticed about Bipolar is that people that have it NEVER want to take meds. Or they go off them. I've never understood this but it's a pretty text book symptom. I also have noticed that very few actually work, maybe that's the reason.

That's why this is such an F'ed up condition. My sympathy goes out to all of you that have it. It's just not fair.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I have Bi-Polar type 2. I'm on a mood stabilizer and another medication for it, and they both seem to help me out quite a bit.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Stephen Fry is bipolar but I don't know what he takes.
I know he seems perfectly okay at the moment though, even if he's struggled with it in his past.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Quote by mystical_1
I feel for you guys, Bipolar disorder sucks. I have a couple of friends who have it, maybe having ADD helps me relate better with them, but it takes a lot of patience and never being judgemental.

One thing i've noticed about Bipolar is that people that have it NEVER want to take meds. Or they go off them. I've never understood this but it's a pretty text book symptom. I also have noticed that very few actually work, maybe that's the reason.

That's why this is such an F'ed up condition. My sympathy goes out to all of you that have it. It's just not fair.

It's because they feel the meds have a 'zombie like' effect on them.
Quote by Duffman123
It's because they feel the meds have a 'zombie like' effect on them.

I think people can often become attached to the depression in a weird way.

It's hard to explain.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
i feel like i have it.

my mood goes up and down and it can be in a few seconds my shit could change.

Anxiety with feeling low and then going crazy the next second. haha thats all me.

With the depressive part and hurting yourself you should see that Dr. as my depressing phase of the bipolar doesnt effect my life generally. (two of my big depressing triggers are being by myself and with no $)and without one of those two its just a straight low day with barely any burst of happiness, im a social fish too haha

With my 'bipolar' i know what makes me get that 'mania' and i do all of those things to keep me feeling good and just racing thoughts is just the side effect i guess.

My mother takes xanax to ease her anxiety, she is addicted and needs to take one at night or she cant sleep and her chest hurts. me seeing that i told myself to never take medication.
+along time ago i knew i had some type of bipolar and they gave me prozac.
I was feeling like a zombie and was losing friends cus i didnt have the motivation to do anything but i was feeling nuetral. not sad or happy which is a weird zombie state.

IDK if that helped but just know other people are on a mood rollercoaster also.

EDiT: Worse thing about bipolar is that you miss alot of opportunities if your mood is changing at that point... try and do shit that keeps you positive man
Last edited by k90728 at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
I think people can often become attached to the depression in a weird way.

It's hard to explain.

It's true. Sometimes I feel strangely uneasy about being content. I always seem to desire strong emotions.. either feeling desperately depressed, or entirely euphoric.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I was never officially diagnosed with bipolar, schizophrenia, or manic depression, but my GP always told me that no matter what he was forced to put on a piece of paper to give to the social welfare workers, I'd always be someone he felt deeply sorry for, knowing that I was on the same medication, to battle depression and anxiety, that those with far more obviously debilitating illnesses took.

I tried to come off the meds for schizophrenia a few weeks ago, but I couldn't cope. I wasn't useless like I was before, but it certainly reminded me of what my doctor said, that I may have to stay on them for the rest of my life. And that's scary in itself because everyone wants me to come off them, for obvious reasons.

I've had friends who were bipolar, but I was never close to them. Not because they were bipolar and had massive mood swings, but because they weren't into the same things I was into and, surprisingly enough, didn't seem to understand my problems: they thought that normal depression and anxiety was simply an excuse to get out of work and whatnot. People like that deserve a slap, whether they have problems themselves or not.

I've also grown up around Pseudologia fantastica (pathological lying), Schizophrenia, suicide, Aspergers Syndrome, Down syndrome and the various different levels of Autism. It's apparently in our blood (my Dad's side).

The only thing that ever kept me going was a constant supply of help, gradually changing me and supporting me. Don't try and look for a magical cure or a mystical way in which to cope with your problems. You have to accept that maybe you will have this chemical imbalance in your brain for the rest of your life, and maybe you'll have to find a medium, unique to you, that will enable you to live normally.

To find that medium you'll need to speak to as many doctors as you can, frankly and openly. Don't hold anything back. The same goes for friends and family. Even if they don't understand properly, the knowledge that someone out there knows how you struggle daily is an immense help. You'd really be surprised. Keeping problems hidden is the worst thing you'll ever do in your life. Humans are designed to express what they're feeling, whether good or bad.