Hi I want to build an attenuator that can work with my bugera 333xl. I also want a switch to make an headphone tap(or if it's easier when I connect the headphones it will stop the attenuator job).
The idea is to play at home.

It is a 120Watts amp with the speakers being 16Ohms.

Can someone make me a schematic that would do this? As well as a detail of special needs of the materials(for example type of resistors).

Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx!!
Homemade attenuators blow up amps. I would suggest not making one unless you really, really know what you're doing - and from your question, I'd say you don't.
Lol. An attenuattor...is nothing but a few resistors made to dissipate heat..... What I can't understand is why commercial ones are so expensive.
probably because a speaker is a dynamic load that isnt purely resistive, and a good attenuator will attempt to model that. throw in the fact that using a knob to control volume requires more than just using a couple resistors, and youve got yourself something that is more complex than you think it is.

now, if you want to make something that is only single or dual stage, then sure, its just a couple resistors. but power resistors arent cheap. you are going to need resistors rated for at least 60W, and i wouldnt go below 75. and you will need at least 2. and they cost at least $20, plus mounting.

but if you want add a headphone tap, that gets even more complex. running 120W through headphones wont be good for anything. you have to step the power back down to line level first.
Quote by forevertheuni
Lol. An attenuattor...is nothing but a few resistors made to dissipate heat..... What I can't understand is why commercial ones are so expensive.

This is how people blow things up. If you don't know how they dissipate heat, and how to make them dissipate it properly, and mount them, and lead dress properly, you're going to blow something up. It's not just soldering resistors and bolting them to a box.

You can certainly do one right yourself, but I'd be real careful about your lead dress and ventilation. I wasn't meaning to be rude, but I think the 'just a few resistors' school of thought is very wrong and quite dangerous. A parachute is just some rope and silk, but messing it up just a little bit is going to end real bad.
ok ok I was the one rude . I probably was in a bad tooth pain(true story)
Well tnx for the help. Well I'll just have nothing then. Attenuator are to expensive
Tnx for the help
Total retard at electronics here but would making an attenuator that just switches from 120 to 60 to 15 watts be feasible/easier? as opposed to a dial?
Honk