I recently picked up a Marshall Class 5 which I love for my down time when I'm just playing Led Zeppelin or The White Stripes but the band I'm starting with a buddy is going to be more Metal/Industrial oriented. I was looking at the more HQ hi-gain pedals and the ZVex Box of Metal caught my eye, I've only ever played a Fuzz Factory and that was for like a whole whooping 10 minutes so I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the ZVex BOM or any other pedal suggestions are cool too( I'm not too caught up on the price but if I had to say a number try to keep it under $400 CDN)
also since I have your attention I'm in the market for a pedalboard so any help there too would be awesome
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
I've got a Wampler Triple-Wreck for distortion, its ridiculous. If distortion is what you want check it out mate. I've also got a Zvex Fuzz Probe, which is a lot of fun to play around with as well, its like a fuzz factory but with a copper plate acting as a theremin which controls the stability. Sounds well ****ed when I want it to
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
Zvex make some great pedals. I have the ZVex Box Of Rock. They call it a distortion pedal, But it seems to me to be more like an OD pedal. And it does that very well IMO.
I also have a Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion (The TL-2) pedal. Does great metal tones.
I choose that after trying it out and all the positive comments of many people here.

I don't use it a whole lot. But it sounds great and is loads of fun to play around with.
I mainly use cleans, maybe with just a bit of dirt.

I have the PedalTrain Pro (I think its the pro, its their biggest one I think)
Hi gain pedals don't really work all that well with small amps, particularly if you're playing it in a band situation. They don't have enough headroom. I guess look into the Okko Dominator though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Hi gain pedals don't really work all that well with small amps, particularly if you're playing it in a band situation. They don't have enough headroom. I guess look into the Okko Dominator though.

Isn't there something like a 9 month waitlist on that pedal?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
No. All of the dealers have them in stock IIRC. There used to be a real long wait on the Diablo but I think they've caught up on everything.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

My bad, for some reason I had mixed it up with the analogman king of tone.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I am 17. Any waiting period over 6 months is indistinguishable other than the general designation of TOO DAMN LONG.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

thanks for the suggestions guys I'll take a look at those pedals though I don't think I've ever seen a Okko dealer in Calgary
Blackstar HT-5
BBE Sonic Stomp
Empress ParaEQ
I got on the KoT waitlist right after my 16th birthday and got it 6 months before my 18th. It was awesome because i had practically forgotten about it.

And TS, there's only 3 or 4 Okko dealers in North America IIRC. All of them should have them on hand and I know the Mad Ape has a good return policy if you don't like it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I got on the KoT waitlist right after my 16th birthday and got it 6 months before my 18th. It was awesome because i had practically forgotten about it.

And TS, there's only 3 or 4 Okko dealers in North America IIRC. All of them should have them on hand and I know the Mad Ape has a good return policy if you don't like it.

My KoT is due end of this year.

TS, btw, if you order direct from Okko, it may be cheaper. Mine was around 186-192 EUR which was around 250 USD internationally shipped.
Suhr Riot
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
ok I will defenitly take a good look at the Okko Dominator
anyone else have any suggestions on the pedal or perhaps a pedalboard suggestion
Blackstar HT-5
BBE Sonic Stomp
Empress ParaEQ
Depends on the type of metal tone you are looking for... ZVex stuff is good but a little expensive for what it is. If you're going to spend that much have someone custom build you a Dr. Boogie or something similar. Look it up on youtube...
Last edited by samhell at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by Shayne777
ok I will defenitly take a good look at the Okko Dominator
anyone else have any suggestions on the pedal or perhaps a pedalboard suggestion

Dominator for pedal.

By pedalboard do you mean an actual board to place pedals on? If thats the case, them pedaltrain mini or junior
i know this thread is a little old but i got bored and went fairly far back. i'm running an mxr fullbore metal through my vht special 6 ultra and it can hit just about any tone ur looking for. it also has a built in noise gate that is extremely helpful for high gain stuff. halfway on the gain is more than enough for most metal tones