I'm a 23 year old Architectural Technologist and have been working for the past 3 years. I have been pretty successful so far but now the recession has bit my company in the ass and alot of people are going to be made redundant due to a lack of work because of the government cut backs (We work mostly in the public sector).

Due to possibly being made redundant, i have had a look about for other jobs in the same field and their is pretty much sweet f**k all. When i was at college i could not find a job stacking shelves or anything for the life of me and i am really dreading the short term.

My question to UG is:

What do you see as being a promising career/sector to get into in regards to getting future work?
Dole office worker.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
TS, I think you got the order of the words in the title wrong, and you put a few extra words in as well. I think you meant, "The UK going to s**t."
Quote by robhc
TS, I think you got the order of the words in the title wrong, and you put a few extra words in as well. I think you meant, "The UK going to s**t."

I believe you're misinformed;

"The World Economy is going to s**t"
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Protest Suppression Expert.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Medical careers seems to always be good. I'm always seeing want ads for RNs in the states quite often.

Myself, I took the Engineering field. Well, I'm mainly a technician, but also have had jobs as a Software Engineer, Network Engineer and the like.
Its kind of an unstable field ATM though.
Dress in slutty clothing and offer to wash peoples cars for 20 pounds and a complimentary handjob. That's how I make my money.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Quote by TomusAM
Well, I'm pretty sure Dentists are in high demand over there in the UK.

Oh ha bloody ha.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I took an internship that would have led to a job after three months, however, due to losses the company probably wont employ me after. There isnt much out there for a chemistry graduate with little to no experience, so in September I'm doing a masters hopefully.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by TomusAM

Yeah, they're analogous to treadmills in the US.

Quote by TomusAM

Top shot, Old Chap.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Hi TS.

You could:
- Flip burgers, but only if you're VERY lucky.
- Be a babysitter
- Dole scum
- Rob pensioners
- Become a care worker.
Sorry the title is misleading i just bashed the keyboard. I'm just trying to apply it more to the UK as all countries have different careers that are/will be in demand. I've had a scout for apprenticeships but just not really sure about what i could possibly do for the next few years, at least until the construction industry picks up again.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I believe you're misinformed;

"The World Economy is going to s**t"

Ya, the world economy is shit, but fortunately, the entire world doesn't have our current government running it. To be quite honest, the UK is not a place I want to be at all at the minute.
I forgot one, you could pretend to be a foreign student so a farmer will pay you a fraction of minumum legal wage to pick fruit.
Yes our country is such a mess. Government has gone to sh*t

It will be a long time before anything decent will come of it.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Join one of those cults where you live in a big commune in the middle of nowhere

...Russia?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by duggyrocks
England: Vote torys, (student version: vote lib dems hur), torys do their usual shit, everyone is shocked for some reason.

You made your damn bed!

I voted neither of them thank-you very much. I can complain all I want!
Quote by duggyrocks
England: Vote torys, (student version: vote lib dems hur), torys do their usual shit, everyone is shocked for some reason.

You made your damn bed!

Except OP is in Scotland which barely voted Tory at all, as usual.

Quote by Guitardude19
I took an internship that would have led to a job after three months, however, due to losses the company probably wont employ me after. There isnt much out there for a chemistry graduate with little to no experience, so in September I'm doing a masters hopefully.

This is too bad. I am an American chemist attending a PhD program in the fall. Had I not chosen graduate school, I know of a few companies looking for production line chemists (Sigma-Aldrich for one). Too bad things in the UK aren't going well.
Quote by TomusAM
Good to see someone is being a sport about it.

I'm surprised you guys have heard of sport

Disclaimer: I love american football
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The world will always need undertakers and funeral homes my good man. People don't stop dying so it's a fairly steady source of income.

That and the food industry. Yes the major corporations are sticklers for huge profits and cut loose those who can't provide, but in restaraunt management it's fairly easy to cut and run to another business into a management position.

Quote by duggyrocks

You made your damn bed!

I'm from Yorkshire, that bit right in the middle that was a solid block of red (minus Nick Clegg's bastard constituency) on the political map in the last election.
Hells Yeah Yorkshire.
Last edited by SG_dave at Mar 30, 2011,
I hear that proctologists are going through a lot of sh*t nowadays.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by SG_dave
I'm from Yorkshire, that bit right in the middle that was a solid block of red (minus Nick Clegg's bastard constituency) on the political map in the last election.
Hells Yeah Yorkshire.

That being said, York Central was a tiny red speck surrounded by oceans of blue just north of the red solid block
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Last edited by Trowzaa at Mar 30, 2011,
I think I was the only labour voter in the South East

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb