Right first off, i dunno if this is in the right place, but i hope so.
I'm wanting to build an amp. This is my first, but i've built / modded a tonne of pedals so i figured it'll not be that much different in terms of soldering.

I figured PTP would be easier seeing as i've never etched a PCB before and i HATE stripboard with a passion haha.

I'm wanting something 20-30w tube, with a shit load of gain really.
nothing too complicated. gain, bass, mid, treble and volume. maybe an FX loop too.

Does this sound Do-able ? And what sort of price am i looking at ?

Any help would be awesome !

oh, i'm in the UK too if that helps.

Or if anyone is good at building, I'd pay someone to do it for me haha
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Last edited by Rossmillertarn! at Mar 30, 2011,
Are you looking at getting a kit? If so have a look around the metroamp, weber, AX84, ceriatone and retrosound sites and see what you like. Weber is the cheapest i think and it will set you back US$400+ for the entire kit depending on what you get.
Most of these sites give schematics so you can always get you own gear and make your own cabs for cheaper. As for wiring, PTP is great, i've used it many times and it's a bit more flexible than circuit boards. It's not that hard to make a circuit board though, if you're curious here's a good tutorial on circuit board making: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420953

My suggestion is to find an already existing amp you like with those specs and build a clone. If you want to design your own i'd suggest reading around and familiarising yourself with how amps work
Well whatever really. i think sourcing my own parts would end up being cheaper. i'm a total n00b at this so any advice is golden haha. I'll have alook at those kits. i wouldn't mind something like for example. the lead channel on a peavey 5150 or something. just a single channel amp
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Depends on what schematics you can get your hands on. Like i said these kit sites have schematics for most classic and some modern amps. I'd just have a look around and see what you like. You can split stuff up and do single channels if you want but it's best to familiarise yourself with the main components.

Just at a basic level an amps circuitry is divided into power, preamp, tone stack, power amp and output. You have a transformer for power and circuitry to prepare and distribute that power to the tubes. You have small tubes for preamplifying the high impedence line signal from your guitar. Tone stack circuitry for EQ. A transformer and larger tubes for the main amplification and output circuitry for sending the signal to the speakers. there's more to this but it's helpful to know the basics.

The tonestack a good start if you want to modify designs. I found this great tool ages ago which simulates components and gives you a frequency response curve based on your choice of values: http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/