Here's my band's first (full and planned) recording of a song we're calling "Matt". We're gonna re-record it eventually, we want to do the drums with a metronome, I wanna have more sonically interesting guitar/harmonica/piano fills between the verses in the first half and I'd like to try and clean up the guitar solos, but overall it's an overview of what the final thing should sound like. Constructive feedback is appreciated

http://nobelium102.bandcamp.com/
It sounds like a fake Mary Jane's Last Dance or Dani California. Keep working towards your own sound
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
its not bad, the only thing is that you might want to remove/edit the part where u kind of stop at 1:56. just my opinion.
Alright, critting as I listen:

00:00 - 00:10 I like the slow fade in, even though there is too much effects on the guitar. I think less would be more here. Also, you might want to try to play that a bit cleaner, i think i hear a lot of mistakes in there.

00:12: clickedy click from your mouse

00:13: I like the way the drums come in, also nice singing. The voice reminds me on someone i really like, but i can't put my finger onto it.

Overall, the drums seem to be totally drowend out. You might want to try to mix them a bit better. The Vocals are a bit loud.

Second overall, the guitar tone is way too muddy.

00:45: Leadguitar. Uhm, the tone is bad. Sounds like way to much gain for me.

Third overall, the songs has a really good flow. But then the lead guitar just throws me off.

01:24: Solo, the guitars sounds a bit nicer here. Probably better mixed. Oh, and there is a bass. Didn't hear one before, so you probably want bring that up in the mix a bit. turn down the vocals a bit and turn up the bass. Oh, and there is this muddy clean guitar again. Not a fan of the tone.

01:53: Song's over? What. I have really now clue what you're doing there but it really sounds as if a new song's starting. kinda ruined the flow. Not for long, cause the new part flows as good as the one before, there is just this break that is completely strange. At least the guitar tone is a bit better.

02:00 - 02:40: the instrumental is nice. for like the first 20 seconds. Than well, there is something missing. Also, i don't know why, but it sounds as if you're just jamming away. I'm missing some kind of structure here. As it is, it sounds abit chaotic.

02:42: Oh, new singer (I think?) . Again, good singing, sounds abit mature this time. Oh, and he's just singing one verse?

02:55-03:20. A lot of jamming and muddy guitar tone. Also, it sounds like there are some mistakes in playing (03:03).

03:20. Again, clickedy click and you can clearly hear how a new take beginns. I'd try to avoid that.

03:26. Singing again. Just one verse. And then a quick fade out.

Alright, overall I'd say this a nice song that could benefit from some cleaning up. Try to cut those jamming parts, even though they're nice, they're getting boring really fast. Try to bring a real structure in there. Like this, it sounds as if you're just jamming away. Which isn't necessarely a bad thing, but I think it's not what you were aiming for.

I don't know what you're using to record guitars, but I think they need to be a lot more clearer. They sounds really muddy throughout the mix. The best would probably if you look up some tutorials on how to mic a guitar (or on VST Amp sims) and experiment a lot until you find a tone that you really like. Of course, if you already like your muddy tone, than I apologize and admit that it's just my opinion. Also, try to play to a click track and try to avoid mistakes.

The Drums sound fine, but then again they're most of the time way to quiet. Try turning them up or eqing them better into the mix. Same with the bass. There are some places in the song where the bass fits in perfectly and you say "Wow, there the bass is really backing up everything" but most of the time you can't hear it. At least I cannot, and i tried both Headphones and speaker.

The Vocals are fine, a tad to loud maybe and like everything they could benefit from mixing, but technique wise they're good.

The clickedy clicks one can hear through the song is something you should avoid. Just cut them wherever you hear them and try to put your mic a bit farer from your computer.

Soo, sorry for that wall of text To summarize it, good song, could be better, and you should work on your recording.

C4C?

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I'll pretty much agree with everything the above said. ^^^

At 1:24, the rhythm guitar cuts out. It leaves it sounding weak. Keep the rhythm the same.

The bit at 1:53 has to be fixed.

There's a wrong note somewhere at 3:00ish but it's not a big deal if you're re-recording. There's a few others throughout the song.

The last two verses aren't too good. The first singer sounded the best. The ending almost sounded like a really bad rap by someone who can't rap. The fist two verses were a lot better.
And the ending was pretty weak.

One big flaw is the lead guitar playing. It isn't about the guitar tone at all.
It's entirely about the playing. It sounds very very amateur-ish. Extremely weak and uncomfortable. There's just no developed sound there. It sounds like every beginner guitarist I've ever heard.
Like honestly, the track would sound better if all the lead guitar playing was cut.
Just shouldn't be recorded until the player has a developed style and can sound good at playing leads.
Replacing all the lead parts with another instrument would be a better idea.

Sorry.

Overall, it was pretty decent. When the song all came in and whatnot it sounded pretty good. The first singer should do it all.

The flaw with even the first singer though is there's too much syllables than there should be. Each syllable is like playing a different note on an instrument.
Don't put in more than what fits. Some lines just are too crammed. Either sing them so the syllables all fit or change the lyrics a bit.
Some of the singing sounds weak and it's partially because of that.

But some of it did sound good though and I'm sure when some things are fixed up then the whole track will.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by OrangeWalls

02:42: Oh, new singer (I think?) . Again, good singing, sounds abit mature this time. Oh, and he's just singing one verse?

Yeah the lyrics are told from two different perspectives and I thought it'd be cool if there was a different singer from the second perspective. I think we'll definitely take the song apart and try and put different parts in different places. I definitely agree the tone could be better, we're using Garageband right now and next we'll work on making a better tone. I think maybe the 2-2:40 solo could work as a fading outro or something, so maybe the main solo (the one with no rhythm under it, which it needs) could be at the climax. And we agree the mix could be better, the next version will definitely have more time put into it. Thanks for the critique
Quote by TechnicolorType
I'll pretty much agree with everything the above said. ^^^

At 1:24, the rhythm guitar cuts out. It leaves it sounding weak. Keep the rhythm the same.

Agreed, I sorta thought that too.

Quote by TechnicolorType
The last two verses aren't too good. The first singer sounded the best. The ending almost sounded like a really bad rap by someone who can't rap. The fist two verses were a lot better.
And the ending was pretty weak.

I'm with you on that one, I think there should be a more defined climax and all that. And the we were kinda on a time crunch so some of the lyrics (unfortunately) were just thrown together to have the best result with the time we had. They'll be redone to a degree as well. And as I said in my previous reply, the lyrics are told from two perspectives so I think two singers makes that more defined.

Quote by TechnicolorType
One big flaw is the lead guitar playing. It isn't about the guitar tone at all.
It's entirely about the playing. It sounds very very amateur-ish. Extremely weak and uncomfortable. There's just no developed sound there. It sounds like every beginner guitarist I've ever heard.
Like honestly, the track would sound better if all the lead guitar playing was cut.
Just shouldn't be recorded until the player has a developed style and can sound good at playing leads.
Replacing all the lead parts with another instrument would be a better idea.

Originally, there was a harmonica between each stanza in the first half, but we decided not to record it for this version. Instead my rhythm guitarist (who doesn't really play leads and hasn't played for very long) recorded things in one take. I think in the next version we're gonna put some bluesy piano riffs while maybe trading off with some mellow guitar licks. We would've done it before but he just hit record and we just kinda "settled". As for the solo at 1:24, to be honest, I thought I came up with a kinda cool, fitting solo. If it does sound uncomfortable, then it's cuz we redid it a lot, and I was getting kinda anxious about and we just kinda "settled" for that take too. But if you do think it sounds amateur-ish, sorry about that. Is there anything I could do to help it sound more full and defined, and not amateur-ish, perhaps? I wanna be the best player I can be

I'm glad you don't think it's a complete lost cause. And thanks for the brutal honesty, it's whatcha gotta do to have best end result