I am just wondering what you guys think would be the best distortion pedal for pop rock and alternative rock. and maybe some punk rock (the more versatile, the better).

For bands like:
Anberlin
Framing Hanley
New Medicine
New Politics
and maybe some blink-182 and Brand New

I don't know if there is a pedal that works for all of those or not because I usually play all kinds of metal, and use a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff (in my opinion works perfectly).

I personally do not like the lead channel on my amp which is a Peavey ValveKing Half-Stack. It's like it doesn't push the sound out enough or something.. if any tips for that tone, let me know!
Open your closed mind, close your open mouth.
̿ ̿ '̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
I second the Boss DS-1. Or get a DS-2 if you want to spend extra and get a better distortion pedal.
Thanks guys, I looked, and right now I'm thinking that I am going to go with the DS-2!
Quote by BrianG47
Thanks guys, I looked, and right now I'm thinking that I am going to go with the DS-2!

Don't, the DS-2 is just an overpriced DS-1 with a Turbo setting. You'd be much better off getting the DS-1 and save £20 or whatever.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Quote by I'mOnAPlain
Don't, the DS-2 is just an overpriced DS-1 with a Turbo setting. You'd be much better off getting the DS-1 and save £20 or whatever.

i disagree...the ds-2 is much more versatile and sounds different. it can also do relatively little gain which the ds-1 cannot. plus the turbo sounds cool especially with the neck pickup
TS, Maybe a RAT or Turbo Rat, The absolutley mureder the boss in terms of sound and reliability and also can be moded with a fair bit of ease
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
RAT! Rat all the way.

Actually I don't really mind the DS1 that much. It does have a kinda cool "dry" sound to it, that can be useful sometimes. I'd rather have a modded one, though.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
buy it used either way you can save some money that way. also go out and try all the pedals people reccomend and see what works best for you. i have a ds-1 its crap but i've heard the ds-2 is better and if you can get a pre-2000 ds-1 they are better than the modern ones.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by '93
i disagree...the ds-2 is much more versatile and sounds different. it can also do relatively little gain which the ds-1 cannot. plus the turbo sounds cool especially with the neck pickup

Whatever floats ya boat. I just think that a DS-1 is a good pedal for the money and that to spend £20 more on a similar pedal with a few more bells and whistles is a bit unnecessary especially when in the DS-2 price range there a lot of better pedals available.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
IMO I didn't think the DS-1 wasn't very good at all. I've heard similarly priced pedals that sound better than it. The modded ones are pretty nice, but I've heard better in that price range. A Rat would sound acceptable for most of the tones desired, except for the Blink stuff. They are the pop/punk recto sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by I'mOnAPlain

$20 bucks isn't that big of a deal. Plus the DS-2 is more versatile.
EDIT: Plus I kinda like the turbo mode :P
Last edited by BrianG47 at Apr 2, 2011,
Well you never stated your price range so if you want to go high quality, the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde has overdrive and distortion built into one pedal, so there's a lot of versatility there
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by theponz
Well you never stated your price range so if you want to go high quality, the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde has overdrive and distortion built into one pedal, so there's a lot of versatility there

I second this. I heard one live that worked very well for a variety of sounds. The overdrive is "tubescreamer" in nature, but it would work for mellower crunch. The distortion side can cover most of your pop/alternative rock sounds unless you're looking for Mesa punk/pop.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5