Hi!

I was just wondering right after the third and final coat of oil based satin finish on the neck and guitar body (I'm putting one or two more coats on the body later) Do I have to do anything more to it? Like a swirl remover, Polishing compound, Cream of Carnauba Wax or something like that?

Thanks!

Btw, If it helps, the guitar body is Mahogany and the neck is maple.

Heres a picture of the body before the stain and satin finish:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60964085@N02/5554979770/

and a picture of the neck before the stain and satin finish:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60964085@N02/5554398215/
I am a waxing fool by trade....With that said I would wait a month and then wax on wax off.....PICS
You could lightly buff it with 0000 steel wool. Other than that, you're pretty much set. Satin finishes are sweet, no sanding or intensive buffing required
Three coats of "oil-based" should be enuff! Any more and ya might risk losing detail or getting "muddy". A lite wiping down with ; preferably a scotch brite in the 1000 range/gray? would be good iff'n ya wanna add another top coat. What sort of "oil-based" finish is it?
^ Satin finishes have flattening agents in them that cannot be made glossy.

TS depending on how well you have applied the finish you should really sand the finish flat for a pro look.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
^ Satin finishes have flattening agents in them that cannot be made glossy.

TS depending on how well you have applied the finish you should really sand the finish flat for a pro look.

Then how come my satin finish ukulele has turned gloss where my arm rubs. Grab yourself some heavy cut buffing compound, put some of that on, rub the shit out of it, then go again with swirl remover and voila, gloss finish. The flattening agent is only effective when the paint is sprayed and as it dries.

Have you ever attempted to buff a satin guitar?
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Mar 31, 2011,