I recently have found myself inflicting pain upon myself, something I never thought I would do. I know it sounds incredibly "emo" or suicidal, and maybe it is, but I find it oddly enjoyable. I mean it hurts depending on what I do, but the feeling calms me in every way. I think have been doing it lately to cope with stress, but I am really unsure of the true root of the reason I am doing it is.

Is it wrong to be doing this. Like would you look down upon someone for doing this? I mean I am a very outgoing person overall and a pretty positive person and I have only told a few people very close to me that I do it and they were incredibly shocked. Does anyone else here ever do it or has ever done it? and if so how have you gone about doing it?

Me personally I don't like the idea of cutting myself on any part of my body. Usually I have stuck with blunt damage like bruising myself (my ribs, legs mostly) and I wanna burn myself. I feel weird just saying I do this, but I felt I needed to say something.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Dude...
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Done it before, it's no good. Talk to a psychologist.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Mate, get help now. It's not healthy at all and one day you might take it too far...
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Whoa, that's how I am. I prefer bruising to cutting too.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Obviously if you felt the need to open up then whatever the heck your doing isn't working that well. Get help.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Seek help. I've been in that position before and you don't want to reach the point of suicide attempts. Feels bad man.
I am planning on seeking help soon I just can't afford it. I see this as a better alternative to drugs as I don't think I will take this too far. But who knows.

Also I avoid hitting areas that the public eye would see. I don't want to be questioned about it by friends and family.
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by ICOG
uhhh, yeah thats not good. Get professional help.

For reals. Even if it's seemingly a good way to let out stress, you're psychologically associating hurting yourself with relief from stress, which can definitely cause some major problems down the road.

Serious ones. Get some help man.
Find another way of expressing the feelings that are causing you to feel the need to inflict pain upon yourself, I found that to be the best way to stop. 2 years since I last did it, never have any intentions on doing it again.
Talk to a therapist. I've been there before and didn't realize how much I needed some help until I worked through things myself and was looking back on it from a different perspective.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Ok, just listen to the Sage Francis song Inherited Scars and understand what your doign to yourself and those around you, ive done that, had people that done that its bad man....
I had a cutting problem before...the strange thing is, I never even really knew why I did it in the first place. As soon as anyone hears about it they right away tell you to talk to a therapist, but...therapy can really only do so much for some people.
What got me out of doing it is being caught. Once people found out, I was so ashamed.
Sucks that I treat myself no better and I am 19 years old...oh well
Only the blue sky and the green grass
Go on forever in this world
Where seconds feel like eternity
And years pass in blink of an eye
Quote by Tazeyo
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3m8wRVXWg

Okay strangely enough I was considering on doing something like that today?

Am I really that ****ed up? You guys are making me question myself.
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Imalius

Yes. Don't do that.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Imalius

You need to stop asking us for recognition of your state.
Ask yourself.. why are you miserable? What meaning does hurting you have?
There's no point in leaving a scar, if you haven't learned anything from it.

I say to just look into yourself and stop being an idiot.
Say goodnight to the world...
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. "

TURBO BASS get.
Last.fm My Original Musics
I used to bruise. I never got help because I was scared to, although in retrospect it would have been a good idea and it might've helped more in the long run. But I did grow out of it. I have moments where I almost go back to it, but those tend to be very fleeting.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
scars and bruises are only cool when they're from something like a sword fight or a bear wrestling contest

get help dude, can't do any harm
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by Imalius

Good. Stop and think about how stupid you're being. I know it seems like a dick thing for me to say but if you found out someone you loved was harming themselves wouldn't you want them to stop? Think about it from a different perspective.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I used to cut dude. classic style, right across the wrist. I look back and yeah, its a way to cope with the pain. I never told anybody about it. But it got to the point where I was alone in my room, all the lights off, sitting on the floor, every night and I had to look at myself. I wasn't solving anything being alone; in fact, it excludes you more, because nobody else can really relate. I took everything going on in my life, and detached the emotional part and the logical part. You have to deal with the source of the pain yourself, or (better yet) adjust yourself and move on.

It's not something that you should need therapy for. You need to overcome it yourself, and to be honest, an internet forum is not the place for it. It's almost always a cry for attention (I used my wrists so that, subconsciously, someone would notice).

Move on brother.
has a terrible signature.
The Pit is really bringing up a load of depressing threads tonight.

I read a statistic somewhere that males are more likely to use blunt force or burning, whereas females tend towards cutting and self-poisoning. So that answers that part of your question.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Mar 30, 2011,
I never understood how some people do this. I've almost committed suicide a couple years ago and never had any thoughts of this. Can someone explain?
Quote by sadSTATUE
I used to bruise. I never got help because I was scared to, although in retrospect it would have been a good idea and it might've helped more in the long run. But I did grow out of it. I have moments where I almost go back to it, but those tend to be very fleeting.

Totally off topic, but I am listening to the song in your sig right now. Crazy.
Feeling something is better than nothing, eh?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
About a month and a half/two months back I cut and burned myself on several occasions. I realized that the more I did it without telling anyone, the more I got wrapped up in it and wanted to do it more. I finally realized that it was very unhealthy, so I told my dad. My parents set me up with a therapist and it's helped tremendously.

Please, see a professional. If you're young/teenager, tell your parents or counselor at school. I'm not sure where you would go if you're an adult, but I would try to look for a website or hotline to contact.

One thing I've come to realize is that many people have gone down this road, and things CAN get better and will get better if you get help!
See the weirdest thing is there is nothing bad about my life. I am happy with myself, I mean minus your few average everyday regular problems I feel great. I just find myself doing this.
Quote by andy_thomas
lol. Completely pathetic and idiotic behaviour. Do whatever you want though. Your only memories of your current age will be the scars you have on your body from your retarded behaviour.
Get help.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
This is really not a question to ask the pit. The majority of the people here do not know a god damn thing about self-harm, depression, anxiety, etc. so they jump to wild conclusions. There is a handful of people here who know what they are talking about and are also well intentioned, and I'm sure they'd offer you support.. try the hugging thread.
i don't know why i feel so dry