so i was talking to a friend about amps, and he recommended a model with a **** shit piss load of effects built in, and i explained that i hate effects and prefer a regular clean and a raw distortion tone, i hate effects and i feel that they ruin the sound. and he started acting like a smart ass and calling me stupid and crazy. am i the only one who prefers a raw tone with no effects or anything?
It's not really our job to make you feel better about getting into a pointless about personal preference.
No, I think you and your friend have just stumbled upon the wonders of "subjectivity."
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Does it even matter? It's preference.

For the record, I don't use any effects, not because I don't like them, but because I never felt like spending the money on them
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Yes, I prefer just clean or just distortion. I may throw an overdrive on top of the distortion for extra sustain for solos, but that's about it. On cleans I may use a bit of chorus or delay for some more dreamy/sparkly tones.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I've recently been bitten by the effects monster - which is a shame they have minimal effect on my sound - until this weekend when I pick up my like-new JCA50h