Hi guys, I've been contemplating the idea of putting either an EMG 81 or 85 in my LP Junior in the bridge position. I'm interested in recommendations, I use this as kind of an all around guitar but probably lean more towards rhythm playing on it. In part due to the fact I'm pretty sure there's more EMG 81s out there I was thinking of going for an EMG 85 even though this seems to be more commonly used as a neck pickup is this a good idea? I mostly play metal of a pretty wide variety and my favourite "sound" is that of In Flames rhythm playing.

Also does anyone know if I could just drop it in or if I would possibly have to route out the pickup cavity a bit, currently it's got a stock humbucker in there.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
I'm pretty sure In Flames use an 85 in the bridge. You should be able to get pretty close to their tone with whichever you pick though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
with a mahogany body and dark-voiced amp such as your case i'd go with 81. 85 works well if you want more warmth and chunk as opposed to clarity and cut, but imo the 81 should work better for you
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I think it's probably a basswood body rather than mahogany, it's an Epiphone, roughly '08 manufactured I think.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
I'm still looking into this and have to think about which one to choose, I was wondering, with either of these actives is there any chance of me still getting some clean tone out of the Bugera 6262? The clean channel needs to have the gain fairly low to keep it from hitting distortion so I'm guessing actives would probably push it too far?
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
It's an EMG, folks, tonewood is not much of a concern with the addition of gain through a 6260.

What the switch would offer you is clarity, tightness, and a more open voice. I normally say that you sound way too sterile with an 81, but I think it'd be a good switch for you in this case, as you can use more of a contained and EQ'd tone.

EDIT: Relative to your current tone, your clean sound will be much better with EMGs.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 1, 2011,
Now I've just noticed the EMG 81TW which I wasn't even aware existed (splits between single coil and humbucker)! This seems perfect for this guitar, has anyone tried one? I looked around at a couple of reviews and they reckon it does sound like your regular EMG 81 but with the added functionality of some strat type single coil tone which seems excellent to me .
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
The 81TW is two pickups built in together, and they are toggled via a push pull pot. In the "down" position, it's an 81, and in "up", it's an S.

Same goes for the 89 - "down" is an 85, and "up" is an SA.

The 81/ 81TW would probably sound better overall in your guitar through your amp. The 85/89 might be a bit too dark.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, all settled: the hazard of working 100m from a music store. I went down during a "smoke break" (I don't smoke :p ) and picked up the EMG 81TW from there @$149AU. Am I the only one who hates music store markup being so misleading. It's labelled at $199 but I paid $149 with it listed as "no discount" on the receipt and without there being a sale on. It makes it pretty hard to know what's in your budget range unless you ask for the price on every item in store.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212