I've been looking for psychedelic bands to listen to
I already know:
MGMT
Mercury Rev
Neon Indian
Jefferson Airplane
Boards of canada
13th Floor elevators

But I'm looking for something much more similar to MGMT, can anyone recommend any?

Thanks in advance!
Quote by Deplorable
These reeeeaaally aren't psychedelic. At all.

But Bear Hands is like MGMT if MGMT learned how to write a song.

Really?
I'm pretty sure all of them are psychedelic, except boards of canada, i'm not sure what they are, they're closer to trip hop or electronica i guess

Bear Hands aren't psychedelic at all imho, Just listened to a couple of their songs
They got nothin' on MGMT brah
MGMT - pretty standard rock, likes to think they're pink floyd but more hip (terrible combination)
Mercury Rev - rock, bit of dream pop/shoegaze at times
Neon Indian - chillwave
Jefferson Airplane - i'll give you this one
Boards of canada - electronic ambient/chillout/IDM
13th Floor elevators - never heard of these guys.

Edit: no Bear Hands aren't psychedelic, as I alluded to in my previous post, they're similar to (and better than) MGMT who are also not psychedelic.
Last edited by Deplorable at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by gquady09
Listen to the first couple of Pink Floyd albums.

Oh thanx
I've already got Dark Side of the moon and The Wall

Are their earlier stuff better or their newer albums?
Quote by Deplorable
MGMT - pretty standard rock, likes to think they're pink floyd but more hip (terrible combination)
Mercury Rev - rock, bit of dream pop/shoegaze at times
Neon Indian - chillwave
Jefferson Airplane - i'll give you this one
Boards of canada - electronic ambient/chillout/IDM

Edit: no Bear Hands aren't psychedelic, as I alluded to in my previous post, they're similar to (and better than) MGMT who are also not psychedelic.

MGMT - This is psychedelic, I'm sure of it man (i checked with someone who doesn't know 'em but only listens to psychedelic music a while back)
Mercury Rev- Dream Pop, which originated from Psychedelic rock
Neon Indian- Mainly Chillwave yes but also make psychedelic music (and might i add, chillwave also originated form Psy rock)
Boards of canada- yeh i've only known about these guys for three days now, so donno much about them
13th floor elevators- DEFINITELY psychedelic(there is no question), you should check 'em out
Listen to MGMT's congratulations, or Metanoia (10 min LP)
Quote by Deplorable
Early PF stuff is very psychedelic, Meddle would be a good option.

I listened to Meddle and fearless and i think it's awesome
Already downloading The Piper at the gates of sumfin' and a saucerful of secrets
Thanks a lot!
Yeah the new definition of the psychedelic genre is way wrong, the newest true psychedelic band i would say would be Radio Moscow. their new album Brain Cycles is disgustingly awesome if you like loads of fuzz and crazy wah solos with tempo changes.
Quote by The_Quiet_Man
Yeah the new definition of the psychedelic genre is way wrong, the newest true psychedelic band i would say would be Radio Moscow. their new album Brain Cycles is disgustingly awesome if you like loads of fuzz and crazy wah solos with tempo changes.

these guys are pretty great i really liked 'em
Found a track called I just don't know and it's pretty good
well newer psychedelic bands are (ofc) quite different from earlier ones like Can (this is a krautrock - psychedelic rock band from germany) or jefferson airplane
i don't know how that dude got the idea that MGMT is not psychedelic, he messed with my head
so i checked with the great wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGMT

EDIT:
I'm really loving these suggestions, I now have 4 new albums to listen to this weekend
Thanks a lot, and pls keep 'em coming if you can!
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Mar 31, 2011,
Check out Hawkwind, man - early 70's space/psychedelic/prog rock. Particularly the albums Warriors on the Edge of Time, Space Ritual (it's a live one, but whatever, it's awesome), and Doremi Fasol Latido. I guarantee you'll love them.

Just look at the album art:

Quote by AzureNight
Check out Hawkwind, man - early 70's space/psychedelic/prog rock. Particularly the albums Warriors on the Edge of Time, Space Ritual (it's a live one, but whatever, it's awesome), and Doremi Fasol Latido. I guarantee you'll love them.

Just look at the album art:

I absolutely LOVE hawkwind!!
Found out about them a couple of years ago when i used to listen to a lot of Motorhead

In search of space is one of my favorites, and warriors on the edge of time
but i've never heard space ritual or doremi fasol latido
I really should start listening to these guys again
Quote by Deplorable

u such a chump yo
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
psychedelic = The Doors
but i think that Archive (Trip Hop, Psychedelic, rock, etc) is the name of the band you're looking for
well i already listen to the doors

Archive is pretty good, they're not really psychedelic, but I actually like 'em regardless

and i'm downloading The soft bulletin now

Thanks everyone!
Early psych Pink Floyd =/= Meddle... idiot.
Try Piper, Ummagumma, Atom Heart, Saucerful (on the sides) instead.
And 1st PTree album "On the Sunday of Life" has some nice psych...

enjoy

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
I cannot believe there hasn't been any mention of either Tame Impala or Sleepy Sun...

Also, Bobb Trimble, Sabbath Assembly, Acid Mothers Temple, Moby Grape, The Orkustra etc etc
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Hey

I've been looking for psychedelic bands to listen to
I already know:
MGMT
Mercury Rev
Neon Indian
Jefferson Airplane
Boards of canada
13th Floor elevators

But I'm looking for something much more similar to MGMT, can anyone recommend any?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Man! MGMT is my favorite band, check out this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDA6rYpw5yU

some of my favorites are
Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates of Dawn
Syd Barrett - Madcap Laughs
Art Bears
Raccoo-oo-oon
Animal Collective
Lucky Dragons
Lumerians
Amon Duul II
Comus
King Crimson
The Soft Machine
Tea & Symphony
Hatfield and The North
Gong
Henry Cow
Atlas Sound
Panda Bear
Neon Indian
Blind Mans Colour
Washed Out
Painted Palms
Candy Claws
Air France
Hala Strana
The Residents
Renaldo and The Loaf
Spacemen 3
Ariel Pink
Early Beck
Friends
Ra Ra Riot
Star****er
Entrance
Naked City
Sleep Party People
Echo and The Bunny Men
Jesus and Mary Chain
The Lilys
Yeasayer
Brian Eno
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Olivia Tremor Control****
Can
Wet Hair
Terrestrial Tones
Exceptor
Pocahaunted
Black Dice
Wolf Eyes

These are just some from the top of my head.
Quote by The Wildchild
I cannot believe there hasn't been any mention of either Tame Impala or Sleepy Sun...

Also, Bobb Trimble, Sabbath Assembly, Acid Mothers Temple, Moby Grape, The Orkustra etc etc

This guy has got it.
Quote by Yoda_is_real
Hey Man! MGMT is my favorite band, check out this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDA6rYpw5yU

some of my favorites are
Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates of Dawn
Syd Barrett - Madcap Laughs
Art Bears
Raccoo-oo-oon
Animal Collective
Lucky Dragons
Lumerians
Amon Duul II
Comus
King Crimson
The Soft Machine
Tea & Symphony
Hatfield and The North
Gong
Henry Cow
Atlas Sound
Panda Bear
Neon Indian
Blind Mans Colour
Washed Out
Painted Palms
Candy Claws
Air France
Hala Strana
The Residents
Renaldo and The Loaf
Spacemen 3
Ariel Pink
Early Beck
Friends
Ra Ra Riot
Star****er
Entrance
Naked City
Sleep Party People
Echo and The Bunny Men
Jesus and Mary Chain
The Lilys
Yeasayer
Brian Eno
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Olivia Tremor Control****
Can
Wet Hair
Terrestrial Tones
Exceptor
Pocahaunted
Black Dice
Wolf Eyes

These are just some from the top of my head.

Holy crap man, your like the holy grail of trippy music

Anyways, just showing the ones I already know...not many

Also thanks everyone
I got a shitload of bands to listen to in the coming months
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Holy crap man, your like the holy grail of trippy music

Anyways, just showing the ones I already know...not many

Also thanks everyone
I got a shitload of bands to listen to in the coming months

About half of those are actual psych bands though...
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by The Wildchild

it's ok, i got like 100 bands from this thread man

Wouldn't be too surprising if I don't like one or two.
Quote by The Wildchild

Depends what you find to be psychedelic.
Uhh, psychedelic rock is not subject to personal opinion.

For example, shoegaze and post-punk aren't psychedelic rock.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by The Wildchild
Uhh, psychedelic rock is not subject to personal opinion.

For example, shoegaze and post-punk aren't psychedelic rock.

Im pretty sure the thread is "Psychedelic Bands", not Psych Rock.
Psychedelia is very much opinionated.
Neither are they psychedelic music. Opinions, such as yours pertaining to psychedelia, can be wrong
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by The Wildchild
Neither are they psychedelic music. Opinions, such as yours pertaining to psychedelia, can be wrong

Haha, okay.
Opinions can be wrong.
By the way all of those bands I listed are psychedelic, you listed Bobb Trimble, while I love that guy, he is more outsider than psychedelic, and yet he still seems psych to you, yes?

Oh oh, also I never listed any post punk bands, and shoegaze is definitely psychedelic, which is not a conservative genre, it wil always change.

While someone may find U2 psychedelic, I wouldn't go as far away from the genre as that, none of those I listed are that farfetched.

Plus, you have to remember he asked for bands that are similar to "MGMT", so I listed some.
Quote by Deplorable

Have you listened to "Congratulations"?
Quote by Yoda_is_real
Haha, okay.
Opinions can be wrong.
By the way all of those bands I listed are psychedelic, you listed Bobb Trimble, while I love that guy, he is more outsider than psychedelic, and yet he still seems psych to you, yes?

Oh oh, also I never listed any post punk bands, and shoegaze is definitely psychedelic, which is not a conservative genre, it wil always change.

While someone may find U2 psychedelic, I wouldn't go as far away from the genre as that, none of those I listed are that farfetched.

Plus, you have to remember he asked for bands that are similar to "MGMT", so I listed some.

You listed Echo & the Bunnymen (post punk). Naked City (wacky cartoon music), even.

How is Bobb Trimble's music in anyway outsider music? Moreover, what would be defining characteristics of outsider music that are so prominent in Bobb Trimble's music that you would consider him outsider rather than psychedelic? Bobb Trimble is most definitely psych, by the way.

Oh, and Naked City sounds like MGMT only in a world of braindead scumfeeders
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Last edited by The Wildchild at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by The Wildchild
You listed Echo & the Bunnymen (post punk). Naked City (wacky cartoon music), even.

How is Bobb Trimble's music in anyway outsider music? Moreover, what would be defining characteristics of outsider music that are so prominent in Bobb Trimble's music that you would consider him outsider rather than psychedelic? Bobb Trimble is most definitely psych, by the way.

Oh, and Naked City sounds like MGMT only in a world of braindead scumfeeders

Echo and the Bunnymen have many psych gems located through out their discography, my favorites are on "Ocena Rain" or course.
Naked City has a range from spaced out looonggg Jazz pieces to really awesome insane/disturbed jazz material, it reminded me of the most recent renditions of MGMT's "Brian Eno".(But I listed this because their sound reminds me alot of those bands I listed "Renaldo and The Loaf", and "The Residents", because of their wacky psychotic sound)

Bobb Trimble is just considered Outsider, I guess because in his mid twenties he played in bands with 12 year olds, he was an extreme loner, and wacky oddball, and his music, style, and behavior just made him seem out of his time.
I love Bobb Trimble, don't get me wrong, and I find him very psychedelic, but that wasn;t the point I was making! I was trying to describe how he is psychedelic despite his label, or title, he isn't just outsider(like Barrett, Wilson, Spence, all psych musicians!), he can really do things with our minds, and make us feel all these awesome feelings, on top of being really weird.

I am a firm believer that psychedelia is alot more than fuzz, wah, drones, world music, croaky vocals, and spacing out.

It doesn't matter what a title may say about the band, every person feels different with each piece of art. That's the point.
Last edited by Yoda_is_real at Apr 8, 2011,
Page 1 of 2