Hello.

I'm a beginner at guitar; playing on and off for the past 7 years.

I only started getting serious at learning and the past 2 weeks I've been doing nothing but:

|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
|---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
|-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------|
|-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------|
|---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

Then moving up till I get to the 12th fret then reversing the exercise. I do this for about 20 times a day. I haven't tried playing songs. My forearm hurt after the practice.

My short term goal is to be able to play "Summer Song" by Satch.
My long term goal is "Scarified" by Racer X.

Also, I don't know whether to use big thick picks that are out of my comfort zone or use the equipment that's just right for my taste. The way I understand the more you use thicker heavier picks, the easier it'll be when you switch to paper thin picks. I love using paper thin picks about .4-.5 range.
Last edited by Re1Mu2R3 at Mar 31, 2011,
If you love paper thin picks, use paper thin picks. I do that warm up too, but I go until I run out of frets, then back down, the start on the opposite E string.
Summer song seems good to learn for someone whos been on-off for 7 yrs. Go for it!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Dude, play songs.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
if your forearm hurts then you may be pressing too hard.... but also play songs, they will help you just as much or more than this exercise, this exercise is nothing better than a finger independence exercise not really a guitar playing exercise....

also use whatever picks you prefeer to use.... if you like thin picks, then use thin picks, if you like thick picks then use thick picks, honestly its only preference, your playing music there relly aren't any rules, only some guidelines
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Last edited by krypticguitar87 at Mar 31, 2011,
I would definitely start playing songs. I am in a similar situation where I was on-off for about 3 years, then I really started getting serious about it (and just joined UG forums). That exercise is good for improving overall technique, but you also was to be able to get some satisfaction out of playing. The forums have lots of good suggestions about beginner songs.

Also, when you move down the fretboard, are you going:

(I assumed standard EADGBE tuning)

|-----------------------------------------5-6-7-8-|
|---------------------------------5-6-7-8---------|
|-------------------------5-6-7-8-----------------|
|-----------------5-6-7-8-------------------------|
|---------5-6-7-8---------------------------------|
|-5-6-7-8-----------------------------------------|

Or:

|-----------------------------------------5-6-7-8-9|
|---------------------------------5-6-7-8---------|
|-------------------------5-6-7-8-9----------------|
|-----------------5-6-7-8-9------------------------|
|---------5-6-7-8-9--------------------------------|
|-5-6-7-8-9----------------------------------------|

The first one is a good exercise for warming up, but I like to do the second one more because it loosens your wrist up doing finger shifts, and you're also completing a full chromatic scale. Just my personal preference though.

Also learn chords... lots and lots of em. Those little bastards pop up in like every song.
Every time you come across a pick, get it! Try as many as you can until you find the one which works best.

Don't spend too much time doing exercises like which you describe. You should always be trying to apply everything you learn in a musical sense. Start learning Summer Song now. Practice the most difficult bits first. Don't play them any faster than you can play them cleanly.
That is a good exercise but I would recommend learning some songs and chords. I reckon practice for a beginner should be chords,strumming, technique(like your doing), and songs/pieces. Be careful if your forearm hurts you could injure it.

Common problem I have found is beginners squeeze to hard with the fretting hand. Try this - Play a random note on the fret board and gradually the release the pressure in your fretting finger still it starts to buzz then slightly increase the pressure just enough to stop the buzz. You may be surprised at how lightly you are holding the string down. The harder you press the harder it is too play quickly.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not actually a beginner beginner. What I mean is, I can play stuff like "Midnight" by Satch but it's the songs with Arpeggios and Tremolos that I find very difficult. : )