Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,
might seem like a pointless thread but hey!

I'm just asking if there are any 'essential' floor pedals i should get?
I already have a boss ns-2 and an ibanez ts9 and my boss tu-2 is on it's way at the moment
I just want to get a variety of pedals so i can mess about and get pretty much any sound i want. I'm not looking for any pedals in particular i just want a bit of fun!
I don't think i'll be needing a wah pedal as I play metalcore mainly, something like a digital delay maybe for lead lines?
I've only really looked into boss pedals too, so any other brand suggestions would be cool

btw, i'm such a novice with stuff like this, dont hate! :p

cheers!
You pretty much have everything you need for metalcore. A delay could be good. I highly recommend a Boss DD7.

What amp are you using?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i'll look into the DD7 now, cheers
and i'd be running it all through my Peavey JSX
You're off to a good start! I'd say like a chorus pedal, to help with clean stuff, and maybe a volume pedal - not essential, but good to have!
hence why i put
'' 'essential' ''
i know it's down to opinion/preference at the end of the day, but i just wanna have a bit of fun with the tech that's around is all aha
Quote by bogg808
no pedals are essential...

You should at least have this pedal.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Get a wah for solos
Volume pedals are extremely helpful and really fun to experiment with
If your amp doesn't have good reverb, get a reverb
Digitech Whammy is a fun pedal to play with, as well
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
definitely looking at getting that DD7, can use it as a loop pedal too!
There is no pedal everyone should have.
Quote by nouse4aname125
then stop being a pedal nazi and contribute.

christ.

What is there to contribute? List all the pedals he likes? The threadstarter could have totally different taste.

Useless thread is useless.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by WtrPlyr
There is no pedal everyone should have.

What is there to contribute? List all the pedals he likes? The threadstarter could have totally different taste.

Useless thread is useless.

most threads on this site are useless. yes the TS might have different taste. he just wants to be pointed in the right direction im sure. he'll be the one to decide what he wants, but there's such a vast amount of pedals out there. why not help?
You have a pretty solid foundation going.... Good amp, good OD, tuner. Most situations that's probably all you'll need. Some say wah... meh. I have a wah that sits under the stand my cab sits on, unused. If you're really into wah go for it, but I found that I rarely, if ever use it. (Which is why it's collecting dust right now, not even in my pedal chain)

To me a good delay and chorus would be next on the list if I were in your shoes. And a volume pedal can be very nice to have. The MXR carbon copy is a pretty good delay. I haven't used a ton of different delay pedals though. I just use the rack FX now.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by nouse4aname125
fixed

Thank you
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Okay threadstarter. TC Electronics Flashback for your delay pedal. Absolutely rapes the Boss delays.

This, absolutely. TC electronic has some of the best stuff out there, and this thing just got released. I'm also going to be picking one up ASAP.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I believe the world would be a happier place if everyone owned one of these (minus chugga chugga metal dudes and people who use solid state amps).

Everyone loves this pedal. They just don't know it yet.
is it just me or is a ds1 a horrible choice or a distortion/overdrive. im not impressed.

anyways you have some decent stuff for basics, especially for metal. a good EQ pedal can do a lot for ANY genre clean or distorted. ANYONE can use a delay.

lastly, EVERYONE should have experience with a wah or own one. in any genre wah is there, and distorted wah metal solos are areswome, just listed to metallica. hell, there are wah metal solos everywhere.

also good things for heavy distortion are phasers/flangers.
Quote by tombo32
I believe the world would be a happier place if everyone owned one of these (minus chugga chugga metal dudes and people who use solid state amps).

@TS: by the way there was a guy in Walsall who was selling one of these at a decent discount. Used and faded a bit but if you want that I can try and dig out his details for you.
Quote by Duv
Perhaps one of the pedals in my sig? I'm based in Bham, UK.

I genuinely think the CE-5 is an excellent pedal for the price.

I'm from Bham UK aswell man! haha
i'll look into the CE05 and let you know!

that TC does look pretty sweet, i'm on their website atm cheers for the suggestion

and there's no need to argue on the thread haha, i was only asking for a few pointers, im not exactly pro when it comes to pedals so i was just seeing what other guitarists might recommend to give me a bit of fun!
Last edited by JakeLTD at Mar 31, 2011,
About the flashback and the DD-7
Which one is more bang for your buck? haha
they're both really cool sounding pedals and i could mess about forever with the looping on them
the TC looks slightly more versatile due to all the different kinds of delay and the toneprint option?
Quote by tombo32

EDIT: Duv, plz PM me those details!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

pretty much all you really need if you want a basic pedal setup is what you have plus a wah.

id swap the tubescreamer for a delay if you dont really use it much. but imo the tube screamer is more important weather its for a solo boost or to tighten up the amp
Too many good vintage/copy pedals to choose from, but I'm going with:

Boss CE-2
MXR Phase 90 script (block sucks)
MXR M117 flanger
Fulltone '69
Fulltone Fulldrive II non-MOSFET
any Clyde-type wah
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
No such thing as an essential pedal. Get a great amp & mad skills.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Convert to Taoism already, you minimalist asshole.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
gonna throw this out there, visual sounds double trouble

you will never need another od with it, got one recently and im very happy with it, also find that it doesnt change the sound of your amp, my ad30 still sounds like an ad30 when i use it

for fun times with delay dl4s are cool, but more fun to experiment with than as a straight delay, im also partial to the fm4 for weird noises

fuzz wise id look at devi ever, she has a lot of dirty fuzzes thatll have you covered, and shes very reasonable with her prices

reverb: holy grail

flanger: mxr or electro harmonix flanger, although the mxr is easier to use out of the box, so ill probably end up using both in one form or another

pitch shifters are also pretty fun, ive got a morpheus at the mo i use when i want to annoy bassists/play very low riffs, whammys are also pretty good

my personal view on effects is what noises i can get out of em and then i look at how actually practical they are, pretty weird but it opens up some more "avenues"
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Convert to Taoism already, you minimalist asshole.

Dood. That was epic
Thx for that.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i didn't mean a must have pedal when i put essential, i put it in inverted commas to show it's opinion based
and i already have a JSX if that's not a great amp then idk what is haha

anybody go into details on the Boss DD-7 vs TC flashback??
really interested in them!
i really like the EHX electric mistriss (which is odd because typically i a not a fan of their pedals). its a combo chorus/flanger thing, and over short sections of palm muted riffs it can sound really cool. the parameters are really wide and you can kind of freeze at a state of flange.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 2