I need a cheap alternative left handed guitar to my Les Paul that has a good tremolo unit that will let me bend notes both up and down

I am currently considering an Ibanez GRG1570 with a FAT 10 bridge and and Ibanez SA260FM with am SAT PRO II bridge

are both these tremolo systems able to bend notes upwards?

I'm looking for a guitar that wil give me the ability to maintain a reasonable quality tone for live playing and give me the tremolo system I require as I need to be able to play Motley Crue solo's and bend natural harmonics

Cheers
A
Xo!!!!!
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
thats not loading anything up my end, says it's sold out, guess thats a good sign!! ideally I'd like passive p/up's to avoid a volume jump between my les paul and an active superstrat style guitar.
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
in answer to your question, yes they will.

my GRG170DX can do it very well IMO, not epic divebombs and the such, but as a tremolo system it works.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
thats pretty hardcore!!!! looks like a beef machine, can't really justify a guitar that expensive just for a couple songs in a setlist, maybe if I use more effects like that in songs later on...
Quote by Bazilisck311
any idea about the trem systems on those ibanez's? I just wish they did a floyd equiped leftie mockingbird !
Quote by Bazilisck311
the the grg bends notes both up and down with the trem system?
Quote by Bazilisck311
What is your budget? That will help us help you a lot more. And where are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
GRG models will not cut it if your skills have surpassed the low mid-range. The SA is a perfectly decent guitar, however. I'm no Mick Mars expert, but doesn't he have Floyds on most of his guitars? You're not gonna get anywhere near the range of a Floyd with anything else (except for a Kahler, hurr), so although the trem on the SA is alright, it'll crap out on you if you try to abuse it.
yeah Mick Mars uses floyd equiped guitars, looking at a potential 300 or so budget lkeeping an eye on ebay! potentially considering modding a strat copy to have humbuckers and a floyd, would it be more sense just to buy an ibanez 2nd hand?
Quote by Bazilisck311
You could probably score a used S in that budget. I don't know of any specific models offhand, but in that price range you cant do any better than an Ibanez S when it comes to trems.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm located in the UK, and I'M A LEFT HANDED AWKWARD BASTARD
Quote by Bazilisck311
SA260fml being part of that series I take it?
Quote by Bazilisck311
^Naw, the SA series is a more "simple" version of the shapes from the S series. An S will have a ZR double-locking trem (an old one might have an orginal Edge) and the body has been carved on the back too so it's very thin around the edges. The SA series has non-locking trems (like a mixture of a Strat and a Wilkinson trem, with moderate rande- nothing like a Floyd at all) and non-carved backs.

edit: I think the RG1570 comes/came in a lefty version. Every now and then a used RG1570 (which is a Prestige model, very nice!) pops up for an extremely low price. Low enough that you'd think it's a piece of crap, which it definitely isn't.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by ierostyle
the the grg bends notes both up and down with the trem system?

yes, yes it does.
also if you can get that ibby you ebay linked us to for whatever your budget may be, then do so.

the only problem is FR style trems are a ballache if a string snaps or anything like that.
That is a ridiculously low winning bid price. Though that could just be how good the pound is to the dollar now too.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Pikka Bird
Were you the winning bidder, iero?

noit went to about 400
Quote by Bazilisck311
Quote by Dempsey68
in answer to your question, yes they will.

my GRG170DX can do it very well IMO, not epic divebombs and the such, but as a tremolo system it works.

This man speaks the truth. the FAT 10 is a great bridge, not a Floyd Rose or anything like that. But it gets the job done. I would recommend the GRG170DX