hey, ive not been playing bass too long, only about 8/9months now but I find when im playing harder songs for an amount of time i start getting quite tired fingers and finding it hard to move them very quickly, is there any exercises that anyone knows that I could use to get better stamina?
Cheers
Keep playing. You're just working tiny finger muscles you don't normally use. Stretch and wiggle them once and awhile when you play to keep them loose.
yeah it's like a work out, feel the burn, no pain no gain.

it's all a part of being a bass player.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Mr_Gilb
hey, ive not been playing bass too long, only about 8/9months now but I find when im playing harder songs for an amount of time i start getting quite tired fingers and finding it hard to move them very quickly, is there any exercises that anyone knows that I could use to get better stamina?
Cheers

Shoot... i've been playing over a decade and i still have days/nights that mu fingers/wrists/arms hurt or lock up.

Strectching and loosening your joints before playing seems to help the most. Really, just keep at it.

If it's significant pain, see a doctor, as it could be tendonitis or carpal tunnel :/
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by SWilson
Keep playing. You're just working tiny finger muscles you don't normally use. Stretch and wiggle them once and awhile when you play to keep them loose.

Haha, technically the fingers don't have any muscles in them at all... all the muscles used in the fingers are actually in your forarm

OP, everyone is right... it happens. Stretching is the best way to help it out. It sounds dumb to help your fingers. But forarm and wrist stretches work wonders. If you want to losen up your fingers. Stretching the tendons that run down your arm and into your fingers is the way to go!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Apr 7, 2011,
Actually you do have muscles in your fingers (I have Gray's Anatomy in front of me) though most of the strength does come from the muscles in your forearm. Long hard sessions do end up hurting as everyone has said. Practice makes the muscles stronger and gives you better stamina. Tension makes you grip harder so it hurts more. Practice helps you relax too so it's win win.

Recently I got a lot of new problems with wrist and hand pain. I'd changed my strap and the bass was lower than usual, I shortened the strap and the pain cleared up. Try to play with a straight wrist. I also try to practice from time to time without bracing my thumb against the back of the neck which helps me relax and shows how little pressure you really need to fret properly.

Try this, hold your hand straight above your head as high as it will go and try clenching it and unclenching it as fast as possible for 1 minute. Because raising your hand restricts the blood flow you will quickly build up lactic acid in your muscles and they will tire much faster than you expect. That's the normal pain of exercise and it should clear away quickly. Anything sharper or longer lasting and you should visit a doctor just in case.
Quote by Mr_Gilb
Cheers

Push through that pain barrier. No pain no gain! But if the pain doesn't go away go get checked out.
I'm not sure it's all that healthy for your wrist/forearms to be hurting from playing too much... to me that would indicate a risky technique more than anything. When I was first starting to play fingerstyle, I never had any pain there. It would get achey when I got tired, but not painful. The only time I experienced pain was building calluses, not finger strength.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'm not sure it's all that healthy for your wrist/forearms to be hurting from playing too much... to me that would indicate a risky technique more than anything. When I was first starting to play fingerstyle, I never had any pain there. It would get achey when I got tired, but not painful. The only time I experienced pain was building calluses, not finger strength.

What is the difference between achey and painful?
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by loinmute
What is the difference between achey and painful?

you can't tell the difference between an ache and fully-fledged pain?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Ziphoblat

Nah, if you push yourself you can reach pain. Your muscles start to cramp cause they're not used to being used that much
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...