Hey UG!

I'm a beginner guitarist moving into the intermediate relm. My question is what equipment do I really need? I'm into all metal and some rock, but mostly metal.

I currently have Ibanez IJX121 guitar. My pedals include an Ibanez DS7, a DigiTech Death Metal, and a Danelectro FAB Overdrive. I also have a Crate GX-140 C amplifier.

Am I good to go.
1. Ditch the Digitech and the amp.
2. Tell us your budget, nearest major city, willing to go used.
3. We help you buy a new amp.
4. ??????
5. Profit.

For real, give us the info for number 2, and definitely do 1.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
new amp fo sho, probably a potted plant, and a bowl of cereal won't go a miss.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
probably a potted plant, and a bowl of cereal won't go a miss.

Quote by sexy bacon
potted plant

Wut?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by stratman_13
1. Ditch the Digitech and the amp.
2. Tell us your budget, nearest major city, willing to go used.
3. We help you buy a new amp.
4. ??????
5. Profit.

For real, give us the info for number 2, and definitely do 1.

My budget is average unless I don't get a good tax return, you never know what the man is going to do. I live just outside Indianapolis and am more than willing to go used. I can ditch the Digitech, but the amp was a gift from my father-in-law, who is also our drummer. So, it'll stick around, but I can always get a better amp.
Quote by ruste84
My budget is average unless I don't get a good tax return, you never know what the man is going to do. I live just outside Indianapolis and am more than willing to go used. I can ditch the Digitech, but the amp was a gift from my father-in-law, who is also our drummer. So, it'll stick around, but I can always get a better amp.

Well if you had to take a guess, what would the max be? Like around 500? 600? 1000?
--

--
When I was 18 I decided that I wanted to play almost exclusively in some crazy wah-ed out Tom Morello fashion. In retrospect I distracted myself from increasing my actual playing ability for over a year, when the effects were turned off it was the same old choppy power chord crap it was when I started with them all. Get a better amp for now, and read some interviews with guitarists you like a lot, see what they're using. Most importantly (for metal) practice and get your speed up, scales, arpeggios, sweeps etc. Practice is the cheapest and best way to make your guitar sound better!
Need more info man.

"Average" for budget could be $50 or $3,000 depending on how much you make.

What tone are you after? List some specific bands. Metal has a very broad range of bands.

What will you use it for? Gigging, recording, bedroom practice?

My General advice would be to save up get something nice. Not a $3,500 Diezel or anything. But maybe a $1,200-$1,500 good used amp.

I figure just do it right the first time instead of wasting time and money on buying and selling different amps that you are not going to be happy with. (even if it takes longer to save for the purchase).

Then if or when you get to the next level for that dream amp youll get a good trade in and probably will know exactly what you want.

But again without budget, specifics on tone and usage its hard to just name you an amp.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez

My General advice would be to save up get something nice. Not a $3,500 Diezel or anything. But maybe a $1,200-$1,500 good used amp.

You can get very nice amps for WAAAAAAAAAY less than that on the used market. Greg got a used JMP MKII for 150 because the guy didn't feel like fixing it.

I agree with all the rest of your post, though.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Mar 31, 2011,
My budget would be around the $1000 mark, but I would hav eto save for a few months. It sounds like used would be the way to go. I use the amp in our practice room in the winter. However, we're moving our gear into the garage this summer.
Used is definitely the way to go. For $1000 you could get a monster amp on the used market.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by mcamp1230
new amp for sure, look at used peavey 5150 combos on ebay and craigslist

+1
Quote by Dream Floyd
Wut?

you'll stay a beginner unless you know what this means.
Quote by pdawson

crap, i got high and took a bath with my sisters fish, and totally forgot he was in there when i drained out the water
R.I.P Sassy

Quote by MakinLattes

I once sharpened an entire box of crayons and walked around my neighborhood trying to sell baggies of shavings.
isn't that the crate rip off of the VH140C? If so, it's a good metal amp and if you like it, you don't need a new amp.
Quote by phoenix_crush
isn't that the crate rip off of the VH140C? If so, it's a good metal amp and if you like it, you don't need a new amp.

Na, the Crate ripoff is something like the GT3500 or something. I'll look for it in a minute. That's what I thought at first too, though.

EDIT: Yup, the GT3500H is the Ampeg VH140C clone.
--

--
Still not sure what type of tone your looking for. i just spent $1,000 on a used VHT Pitbull so Obviously thats what I would do with a grand. But if your looking for different sound there are lots of other choices. Engl, orange whatever. But you need to figure out what kind of tone you want first.

You could get one of those Peavey combos or 6505's are getting real cheap. But they are very overhyped on this forum and in a few years you will feel like you wasted money and would have rather saved a couple hundered more for something better.

I would compile a list of bands sound that you like. Find out what they used. Then go from there.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by stratman_13
Na, the Crate ripoff is something like the GT3500 or something. I'll look for it in a minute. That's what I thought at first too, though.

EDIT: Yup, the GT3500H is the Ampeg VH140C clone.

The GX-130c was also an earlier copy of the VH with the exception of some components here or there. Crate actually had a handful of amps that were based on the VH140c design.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Necrolysis
you'll stay a beginner unless you know what this means.

And once you find out...
The world is your oyster...
Quote by maddnotez
Still not sure what type of tone your looking for. i just spent $1,000 on a used VHT Pitbull so Obviously thats what I would do with a grand. But if your looking for different sound there are lots of other choices. Engl, orange whatever. But you need to figure out what kind of tone you want first.

You could get one of those Peavey combos or 6505's are getting real cheap. But they are very overhyped on this forum and in a few years you will feel like you wasted money and would have rather saved a couple hundered more for something better.

some of us actually like our peaveys and aren't likely to feel that we wasted our money. you have some real nice equipment, to bad you ended up with a snobby attitide as well.
completely disregard maddnotez post in your decision making process...

5150/6505 Is the standard amp for modern metal, especially on a budget.

The next step up is a recto, but that is subjective.

There is no overhype about either of these amps, they are the backbone of the genre for a reason.
Guitars
Amps