I consider myself to be a pretty good player, I can sweep pretty cleanly and well, I can tap, 8 finger tap, have good legato and hopefully pretty decent vibrato.

But I can't pick. I don't seem to alternate pick OR economy pick anything. My picking seems to be COMPLETELY random, and I don't seem to be able to tame it. I have been able to play plenty fast in the past with my strange style, but getting into some dream theater and playing in a shred duo, I've realized this is a MAJOR weakness.

How can I get my mind around it? Practicing exercises? How is that going to help if I just end up ****ing up my picking when I go into a fast run when improvising? How can I train my mind and hands to automatically alternate pick things?
Just go way down on speed and start picking with small motions while the picking arm stays as relaxed as possible. Practice only right hand for a while until you get it well enough, and then start practicing some parts of songs from slow to fast.
The way I did it was to slow down, focus on my picking hand and say "down, up, down, up" on each pick stroke, making sure my hand conformed to the correct stroke. Eventually it became a habit and I don't have to think at all about my picking now.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
But if I slow it down and say the direction no matter how slow I play or how much i think about it I say down for certain notes or up for certain notes and play differently. Or I play the note twice until I play it the way I normally do. -_-

I think I have picking retardedness. I guess I'll just have to stick at it.
Ti's funny cuz when I practice my scales I have perfect Alt-picking, but soon as I play an actual song it's down picking, economy or just totally random.
Quote by kLinic
But if I slow it down and say the direction no matter how slow I play or how much i think about it I say down for certain notes or up for certain notes and play differently. Or I play the note twice until I play it the way I normally do. -_-

I think I have picking retardedness. I guess I'll just have to stick at it.

You instincts can become so automatic that it's difficult (initially) to do anything different even slowly.

If you want to change in your case, you'll really need to put in the effort to start from the beginning.
Learning new skills is tough.... But replacing current skills with other skills is extremely difficult. It takes a long time and a lot patience.
as said above just slow down and stick with it.

Then go slower until you CAN control it, perfectly, every time. Even if it's whole notes at 60bpm. There's some stuff you just HAVE to take that slow.
You may be using your elbow, which generally is more difficult to control than the wrist, and IMO should only be used if you are playing something so fast that you need to resort to it in addition to the wrist.

You probably need to focus on isolating your picking from the wrist. To isolate the wrist, picture in your mind the motion coming from your fingers. That should give you a place to start. As someone else mentioned, begin by forgetting your left hand and just isolating the right hand picking motion.
Quote by Freepower
Then go slower until you CAN control it, perfectly, every time. Even if it's whole notes at 60bpm. There's some stuff you just HAVE to take that slow.

This.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.