Page 1 of 3
Anyone Interested in watching a first timer build an amp
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Marshall JVM 210H with 1960 Slant
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Just to let you guys know, I will purchase the equipment tonight, and take pics once it gets in, I will document each step of the way.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Awesome

interested in watching !
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
I'm glad a few of you guys are as interested as I am, hopefully shipping doesn't take long!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
I'm sure itnerested, I wanna convert my combo to a head/cab in the summer
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
sweet I'm purchasing the equipment as we speak, I will build it from Chassis up, maybe even the cabinet.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Well I just ordered the 2 transformers, the choke, the mallory board, all the resistors, the caps, teflon wire, jcm 800 2203A 100 watt steel chassis, 4 matched JJ EL34 and 3 matched JJ ECC83's!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Alright so you all know I ordered the equipment last night, and since I Live in Canada it will probably be in by the end of the week next week or even later, so If some of you are going to build an amp with me, or maybe your planning to build one if the future, you will need a few basic tools.... Also I take no responsibility for any personal injuries or loss if you attempt any of this!

For all you saftey fiends... A good pair of safety glasses is a good start ! If you wire a cap in reverse polarity it will blow up in your face, and if you don't have any glasses on well....

You will need:
Soldering Iron
60/40 Rosin Core Electronic solder
De-Soldering Tool (Solder Pump)
Pliers
Wire Stripper and Cutter
Screwdriver
Socket Set
Digital Multi Meter
A 12" Ruler
You may need a drill, and some drill bits
Can of compressed air

Also a good thing to note is that safety is crucial while working on this project, amplifiers will hold over 600 Volts of electricity inside the caps even after it's unplugged, this will result in serious entry and exit burns and can kill you, so please please becarefull!

On that note I will mention this again

I am not responsible for any damages on material and/or persons or other things. If you "use" any of the informations, you do it on your own risk.
Once again make sure you know what you are doing.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Last edited by ShredLordxX at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by ShredLordxX

For all you saftey fiends... A good pair of safety glasses is a good start ! If you wire a cap in reverse polarity it will blow up in your face, and if you don't have any glasses on well....

Worse than the actual blowing up in your face is the smell released when caps pop. Your house will smell like dog poop for hours!
haha done that loads, it's fun but it smells awful.

OT: looking forward to seeing this progress.
Quote by samhell
Worse than the actual blowing up in your face is the smell released when caps pop. Your house will smell like dog poop for hours!

Haha Very true, maybe i should mention to solder, and .... "blow things up" in a well ventilated work area.

I have soldered for hours on end repairing motherboard IC's and the next thing you know the air nearly turns blue, I would probably keep small kids away for hazard sake.

I will also probably post how to make a home made variac, so you can see if anything is going to blow before the initial fireup! and how to safely discharge the caps, so you can work safely in the amp.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
This looks like it should be good. I'm planning on maybe doing a jcm 800 build sometime in the future and was worried about the safety part of it so thanks for shearing that info and what ever else you have to shear.
Quote by Jason43
Make yourself one of these before you fire it up:
http://tubenewbie.com/light_bulb_current_limiter.html

Yes that is a very good example I came accross the same thing, could save anyone alot of money, Id rather see a lightbulb pop instead of an expensive transformer.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Well I attempted to build the Variac with some stuff I had laying around, I did manage to finish it but i broke the light socket..... cheap plastic, I will stop at the store tomorrow and build a new one. I will post the pictures tomorrow night. The things I will re-use is an old Kettle cord that I cut, a switch plug combo, wired in series with a light socket. This time I'm going to mount everything to a small piece of wood, and not try the compact design of the previous post, which resulted in me cracking the light socket leaving metal touching metal. Pics will be up tonight!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Well Here it is the supplies needed to make your own variac, let me just start off by saying, it's hard to post pictures on this thing.... I didn't have a chance to wire it up today, but you will get the idea of how it's going to look, I will post the completed pictures. If you have any questions let me know.
Attachments:
Variac Supplies1.JPG
variac layout.JPG
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
My amp parts shipped today, hopefully they will be here soon!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Do you mean a light bulb limiter? That is a very different thing from a variac
Yes sorry a Light bulb limiter
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
If you want to build this light bulb limiter, all you need is a switch plug combo, a light socket, a grounded power cable, and a junction box.

Start with cutting the end off of the power cable to expose the bare wires for wiring.

- Take the wire connected to the short blade of the plug and wire this to the brass screw of the switch.

-Take the wire connected to the long blade of the plug and wire this to the silver screw of the switch.

-Take the green wire connected to the 3rd prong (ground) and wire this to the green screw of the switch.

- You will next want to take a pair of pliers and snap the tab between the switch and the plugs common.

- Next from the black screw of the switch, wire this to the brass of the light bulb socket.

- From the common screw wire this to the silver screw on the light bulb socket.

You will now have a fully working light bulb limiter. Hope this helps!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Never tried this before. Time to go vandalise some light fittings...
Looking forward to seeing more of this. Keep up the good work.
Haha just don't leave yourself in the dark , My amp parts are in Illanois in the states, shouldn't be long until you guys start to see some JCM build pictures!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Well quick update, my shipment is in customs in Canada, so I should have the items this week for sure. Maybe even today!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
I will I'll try to take a pic at each step.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Excited ! Can't wait to watch this !
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
I won't get to far ahead of myself but after this build, im going to build a soldano slo 100 and some crazy creation a 200 watt Mega super lead 6x Kt88 1 El34 , 2 12ax7, digital bias readout, tuner out, fx loop ect.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Just updating you guys, still waiting for my parts, customs is taking forever...

Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
Service(s): International Parcels

Your item is being processed by customs in CANADA. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Enter Label/Receipt Number.
Enter Label / Receipt Number.
Detailed Results:

Into Foreign Customs, April 10, 2011, 6:46 pm, CANADA
Arrived Abroad, April 10, 2011, 6:46 pm, CANADA
International Dispatch, April 06, 2011, 9:36 pm, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Arrival
Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 06, 2011
Acceptance, April 05, 2011, 1:17 pm, NORTH AURORA, IL 60542
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
whats the cost of all the parts? i'm interested in making an amp too, and love the jcm800 xD
I want pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Haha the pics will come once it gets in, customs is slacking they probably think it's something weird,

well the cost isnt really that cheap, Tubes cost about 100 bucks, all the hardware you need to build it costs about 12 bucks, then you need tools, the chasiss is about 100 bucks, the tranny's and caps ect cost about 700, depends were your source your stuff from, then the faceplates will cost about 75 bucks and a good cabinet is about 300.

so yeah.... over a grand i guess. It's still cheaper to build considering one of these baby's at my local shop is around 2grand.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Last edited by ShredLordxX at Apr 13, 2011,
I still need the faceplates, and a cab, I was thinking about hitting up splawn for a their orange jcm 800 cab, and I will source the faceplates from somewhere only time will tell haha.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
I love my Orange cab and the other guitarist in my band uses a Marshall 1960B cab ^^ so its all down to preference really

(the both sound awesome IMO ^^)
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Lol I've used orange in the past, but I didn't mean "orange" as in the company but as in the head cabinet tolex colour I've always used Marshall I played Randall for a long time, one my friends plays orange amps, the other Randall, another Fender, some peavy my buddy has an engl powerball, that things a monster!
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Theirs a few amps I would love to own.... Engl Savage, Framus Cobra, Splawn Nitro, peavy 6505, even a mesa dual recto. I will probably build a 6505 variant on my next build after this one, hope you guys stay tuned for that too :P .... and after a quick postage check my amp parts are still sitting at customs! I'm getting ticked off.
Schecter C7-Hellraiser
Schecter C1-Blackjack
Jackson KingV
Ibanez RG350
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Page 1 of 3