Okay, one of my favourite/favorite subjects of all time, is Time Travel.

Now... I am led to believe from String theory that (this is what I like best, it's proven!) if you have two clocks and a very tall building, clock A and clock B, and place clock A at the top, and clock B in the basement... Clock A, given enough time to adjust, like a year or so, will run faster than clock B by like a second or a minute, not sure exactly...

Space. Time get's distorted in it.

The speed of light.
This is just something we can't break, but if we could.
IF we got ourselfs, (our atoms) to break the speed of light THEORETICALLY, everything still caught in the speed of light (EVERYTHING ELSE), time would remain the same, (Time is distorted, it's never the same time everywhere in the Universe ever...) but when the speed that everything operates on gets broken we might be able to slow down time and even turn it back!

We know stuff didn't happen in the past.
OR did it?
You might be able to be your own grandfather lol, but you'll never be able to shoot and kill him as a kid, because if you do, he can never have your parent and they can never have you to go back in time and do it.
So if you tried, you'd fail! - Can't beat the laws of physics dudes and dudettes.
How ever, if you did do that, and didn't vanish or fade away or what ever Hollywood type un known 4th dimension phenomenon looks like happens, then that would be infact an alternate universe where, you just apeared from no where, and... disapeared here...

We may not be able to break the speed of light.
BUT, we can cheat ladies and gentlemen, time gets looped in dense places and blackholes and what not, and if we can build something that can synthesise that environment, then maybe sending infomation back through the machine might be possible.

As I say, this is something that does interest me to the bone, like sex, drugs, rock and roll, guitar and comedy and shit, 1 love, peace!

^Original.

Quote by treborillusion
EXACTLY!

BTTF Fail, The Delorean would just float off into space because, Hill Valley, where BTTF's set, is a fixed place on an ever moving Earth.

Excellent illustration, I may have to use it, thank you.

Oh shoot, you're right.

Whooops, I meant Realtivity, not String Theory.

Ammendment.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Mar 31, 2011,
I just play my Ocarina
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imaq16YuEnE
This is cool. ^We're going to bend space with lazors to mimic black holes and stuff...

Travel to the past, that is.

Future Travel, is something else, believe or not, it's this.
(It's pretty simple, go soo far soo fast, and come back.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuNNurWCzCc
Again, way cool.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Though some interesting points, also some mistakes.
You say String Theory predicts different speed of time higher up a building, actually that's Einstein's General Relativity Theory. And String theory has never been proven (yet, although I doubt it'll ever happen).
Indeed, Relativity Theory predicts the distortion of the space-time continuum by large masses (planets, stars,...), so while not only space gets distorted (causing gravity) time also gets distorted (running slower close to the mass than farther off the mass). It's actually a very interesting subject, with lots of books on it that are very low key for those interested.

Also, as you get closer to the speed of light, time gets slower for everything around you, that's right, but that will actually cause travelling 'forward' in time without any chance of return. It's a nice thought experiment, to think of what would happen if we broke the speed of light. But it's physically so impossible, that it's not really worth thinking about at the same time (I know, kind of contradictory).

The only decent attempt at time travel I've heard of that's somewhat possible is time loops. I think that occurs when space-time is so distorted it wraps around itself. It would be possible (don't even ask how, that's a bit too far) to arrange mass that space-time does that. Like that you can create a loop, BUT it'll only get you to the creation of the loop, you can't go further back.

I hope I've said some things that make sense, I too find it one of the more interesting parts of physics, and science as a whole, and definitely worth thinking about.
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Forward into the future using high velocity, this is certainly possible. Going back in time, this is not. First off, there are way too many paradoxes possible that would have detrimental effects on history and human life, such as this . Second, if time travel is somehow possible, why did no one come to meet Steven Hawking?
It's proven with clocks and tall buildings and living on Space Stations for long periods of time, it's proven to me, hehe.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by boreamor
We would only be able to travel back in time to when the first time machine was built, I assume. Otherwise we would have already met time travelers.
... That's the theory, yes, picture, a toaster, if you will, where, you can put in a peice of paper, it vanishes, and when you first flip the switch, peices of paper may appear...
Quote by laid-to-waste
Wow. This thread. Deja Vu man.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
^That makes me paranoid, but I'm stoned.

Is there a time travel thread?
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Quote by treborillusion
^That makes me paranoid, but I'm stoned.

Is there a time travel thread?

Nope "a" implies one.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=6777722
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by treborillusion
It's proven with clocks and tall buildings and living on Space Stations for long periods of time, it's proven to me, hehe.

That isn't string theory, at all. That's relativity.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
EXACTLY!

BTTF Fail, The Delorean would just float off into space because, Hill Valley, where BTTF's set, is a fixed place on an ever moving Earth.

Excellent illustration, I may have to use it, thank you.
Quote by Todd Hart
That isn't string theory, at all. That's relativity.

Oh shoot, you're right.

Whooops, I meant Realtivity, not String Theory.
Quote by laid-to-waste
I like time travel and stuff, but the existence of the Grandfather paradox really bakes my noodle.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Time goes 7x faster in 99 % speed of light, 22x faster on 99.9 % of light speed, and 70x faster on 99.99 % of light speed.

t = t0 / sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
t0 is observed time
v is velocity
c is light speed (~300 000 km/s)
t is the time that really has passed

S,
1. Build spaceship
2. Make spaceship accelerate to 299 700 km/s
3. Wait one year
4. 70 years into the future baby!
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
But I have a question. I'm no physics whiz here.

Say we were able to travel BACK in time. If so there would have to be some place in the universe that would still preserve the era that you want to go back to no?
String theory merely states the probability of my E string breaking increases exponentially with the number of people in the audience.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Going on my extensive knowledge of physics and time travel in general, I say that your post is false and is loosely based on a large collection of assumptions and imagination. However, due to the nature of the subject, it also happens to be true. So, what happens when something is both true and false? The answer is simple: it must exist in separate universes. Therefore, if you were to become an evil warlord and destroy the world, the world would still exist in an alternate universe, thereby meaning that everything you destroyed wasn't actually destroyed. This means that perhaps time travel is possible.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you would make an extremely shitty evil warlord.
Also, I think my cat knows about String Theory. Hell, give it a piece of yarn and it can pretty much travel through time, it gets so excited.

I watched a show on time travel once.

EDIT: Re-read some posts in here, and I have a serious question to ask: This clocks running at different speeds thing. I have no doubt that it is a true thing, but I question the veracity of it being labeled as time travel. Would it not simply be a manipulation of time? It all depends on the nature of what time actually is. Are these clocks moving through time, which could no doubt be considered time travel, or are they just being placed in a different physical location, one that happens to experience time a little differently from another spot.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Last edited by chaos13 at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by Jackal58
String theory merely states the probability of my E string breaking increases exponentially with the number of people in the audience.

-chokes on frosties-
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Quote by metaldud536
But I have a question. I'm no physics whiz here.

Say we were able to travel BACK in time. If so there would have to be some place in the universe that would still preserve the era that you want to go back to no?

Gods refrigerator.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by vagelier
string theory, as far as I know it's not exactly "proven"

this.

and i also think that people shouldn't be able to travel to the past, not saying we can't, but we shouldn't

Think of the car, a helluva invention, and today a lot of ****tards misuse this technology by driving drunk, speeding, and doing generally stupid shit..

Now imagine if they had the ability to manipulate time and space
I wonder if little green men or blue tall super model looking with big yellow eyed aliens or whatever, I wonder if these aliens who people say visit in ships much advanced to our own, that crash and get it's crew dissected or whatever, I wonder, if they're not our future selfs. Man kind going back to us, much like if we were to go back and observe the cavemen, I wonder, lol.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by treborillusion
I wonder if little green men or blue tall super model looking with big yellow eyed aliens or whatever, I wonder if these aliens who people say visit in ships much advanced to our own, that crash and get it's crew dissected or whatever, I wonder, if they're not our future selfs. Man kind going back to us, much like if we were to go back and observe the cavemen, I wonder, lol.

what you on brah?