Hello!
I bought this guitar few years ago, and always thought it was fake. I got it very cheap, but the person i bought it from doesn't know much about guitars. Serial number written on the peghead is S 942430, there is logo, and it is also written Made in USA. According to this site, guitar was made at Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA in the Year(s): 1978 - 1981, and i looks like this . There is nothing written on the neck plate. So, how can I tell if it is fake or not?
Last edited by spothead at Mar 31, 2011,
that picture isn't good enough to tell anything. strats from that time period aren't all that desirable and really aren't faked much. it should have a 3 bolt neck and a bullet trussrod. you can remove the neck and see if it is dated and look at the electronics to see if they are correct.
crack that pig open and take some decent pics of the innerds. also you can pull the neck off and photo the pocket and neck. that would help determine how legit it is.

is the photo of your guitar or one that looks like it?

damn nice looking strat if it is. like monwobobbo said they aren't super desireable but if it plays nice and sounds good who cares, rock the pig.
Unbolt the neck and check the manufacture dates. They should be there in the standard Fender stampings.
Hard to tell if YOUR guitar is a fake without good quality pictures of YOUR guitar...

But if you've had it a few years, why does it matter now? (Unless you're planing on selling it?)
Here are some pics (sorry for bad quality, they are taken from my phone). I'm just interested if it is fake, but i suppose it is. It's not in very good condition, especially neck. I'll take a look at the neck tomorrow
http://img707.imageshack.us/i/dsc00307vz.jpg/
http://img840.imageshack.us/i/dsc00308i.jpg/
http://img824.imageshack.us/i/dsc00309n.jpg/
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/dsc00316yv.jpg/
ok i can tell you it wasn't made during the time frame you gave. it is possible that it was made in 82 using a left over serial number but i doubt it. fender made some vintage reissues in 82 but they had a small headstock. as i mentioned the late 70s-early 80s fenders had a large headstock with a bullet trussrod. yours doesn't have the bullet. they were also 3 bolt yours is 4. you will have to remove the neck and see if it was originally a 3 bolt perhaps added to a different body. now i'm not an expert so there can be exceptions which fender is known to have. could be made in early 78 out of left over parts that were still 4 bolt. really your going to have to open it up and see.
some of the 81 guitars had a 4 bolt.
the nut is wrong but anyone may have changed it. from the bridge and nut it looks like an earvana nut was installed.
i mean, it's close.
could the bullet part of the truss rod have come off somehow? i've never taken one apart to say that may or may not have happened or if that's even possible.
the painted black pick guard has to go.

my gut isn't screaming fake, but it's an odd one. purty.
Quote by gregs1020
some of the 81 guitars had a 4 bolt.
the nut is wrong but anyone may have changed it. from the bridge and nut it looks like an earvana nut was installed.
i mean, it's close.
could the bullet part of the truss rod have come off somehow? i've never taken one apart to say that may or may not have happened or if that's even possible.
the painted black pick guard has to go.

my gut isn't screaming fake, but it's an odd one. purty.

the bullet truss rod was adjustable at the headstock end. not sure is the adjuster would come apart from the rest of the truss rod. the large headstock was discontinued in 79 so i doubt it's an 80 or above.of course squiers have the large headstock. i noticed the nut wasn't original but that isn't uncommon.

i'd suggest maybe posting this over at Fender's forum as i'm sure there are guys there who could tell you more definitively.
The headstock/neck confuses me. While that era was one of the few years CBS used the flat black lettering and that large style, I don't see the bullet truss rod. I'm not really feeling a fake, but definitely an oddity. I still say take apart the neck and body and post picks of the stampings.
someone could have changed the neck?

these oddities often comeabout...
serial numbers mean nothing, it's easy to put a genuine serial number on a fake guitar.

somehow it doesn't look right. the tuners don't look genuine from the picture on the rear of the headstock, wrong shape, and they are not fitted in a straight line. it's possible that someone has replaced them at some time of course.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
serial numbers mean nothing, it's easy to put a genuine serial number on a fake guitar.

somehow it doesn't look right. the tuners don't look genuine from the picture on the rear of the headstock, wrong shape, and they are not fitted in a straight line. it's possible that someone has replaced them at some time of course.

haha, no doubt... I tried to cover my arse by saying the SS# is from that year and that plant... but not the guitar

He's right though OP, that actually happend to my brother in-law. He thought he got a killer deal on a Start but it was a knock off, with an MIA neck on it. Do your homework, call up Fender and ask questions.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Ok, I'm pretty sure that it is fake too, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks everybody!