hi

as some of you might've already noticed, i've been having trouble with this damned amp for so long now, and you're probably wondering why i haven't just replaced it yet.

i like the amp, i like the way it sounds, i like the way it responds to picking dynamics and all that, and i especially like the way it handles pedals.

however, i simply cannot get the damn thing to cut through the mix properly when i use humbuckers. the bass is loose and sloppy, the midrange is boxy, and the treble is either undefined (muffled sound) or ear-splittingly sharp. only with humbuckers, on the overdrive channel, though. it's weird, i like the sound, but not the "feel" of each band of frequencies, if that makes sense. i've tried adjusting the EQ as much as possible and more bass = more flubby sound, more treble = more shrillness, more mids = more boxiness, less mids = more sloppy bass and more shrill treble, less bass = more boxy mids, less treble = more mud... i've got it dialed in the best i can possibly get it which is bass 6, mid 4, treble 5, bright switch off (makes the treble even harsher while it's on), with the gain at 6.

i'm suspecting that this is the speaker, which is currently a celestion seventy80. because it's the way the sound is projecting that's the issue and not the sound itself. close-miked, it sounds fine at lower volumes.

is there any speaker out there that would basically give me the same sound that i'm getting now, except with tighter bass, more "open" midrange, and more rounded and defined treble response? a while ago gabel told me that a celestion G12H30 would do just that..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I had a G12H30 in my old 212 and loved it. I recommend it as well.

You can also check into an EQ pedal and a Tubescreamer type pedal. I use and love both of those as well but not all the time.

Where the hell has Gabel been anyway
I'm a fan of the 12H30. It should knock down that weird upper-mid thing the 70/80 has going on. One of the things to be careful of is that those PAF-like pickups don't have all that much mid output, so if you're low in the mix and try to up the mids, you're at the mercy of the mids frequency the amp gives you. Another link in the mids chain would be a good idea. A tubescreamer like 311 suggested is an excellent idea. That way you're not getting all your mids from one place, and you get some fuller boost in that range because of it.
So are you saying youhave tried it with single coils and liked it? Because I get the same results with *** buckets no matter what amp I play through. Especially with my les paul, that is just pure mud. I always prefer brighter guitars, that seems to cut through much better and improve clarity and punch.

I know with some amps, the bass gets very loose and floppy when there is an excess. And the amount of bass can also increase in correspondence to the amount of gain. So by introducing both more bass and more gain with the buckers, you can create problems. You could try a tube screamer or eqpedal with the bass reduced and higher frequencies increased first to see if that helps.
with my vc30, i striped out the speaker for a v30, and new tubes, and a eq pedal, cuts through rather well now!
The speaker could be a contributing factor, the 70/80 is pretty wanky, though when i compared the 70/80 to the v30 in my orange cab with the vc30 they sounded quite similar, still got all that honkey upper mid range but the lows were tighter.

Go with a nice warm speaker, g12h30 like people said, possibly a greenback, emi wizard (Flavoured like the G12h30 but a bit more prescence and less lower mids and tighter botom.).

+ a nice set of valves in it, some JJs prob to darken it.

But your missing another linkely possibility, you've outgrown the amp... As much as i liked my vc30, its still just a poor mans ac30, and that icepick treble and flabby bass was killer.
Quote by beckyjc
The speaker could be a contributing factor, the 70/80 is pretty wanky, though when i compared the 70/80 to the v30 in my orange cab with the vc30 they sounded quite similar, still got all that honkey upper mid range but the lows were tighter.

Go with a nice warm speaker, g12h30 like people said, possibly a greenback, emi wizard (Flavoured like the G12h30 but a bit more prescence and less lower mids and tighter botom.).

+ a nice set of valves in it, some JJs prob to darken it.

But your missing another linkely possibility, you've outgrown the amp... As much as i liked my vc30, its still just a poor mans ac30, and that icepick treble and flabby bass was killer.

i don't think it's that, just yet.

i have JJs in the power amp, and 2 JJs and a tung sol in the preamp (the tung sol is there because before, i was finding the drive both dark and ice-picky, so i put a tung sol in especially to make the drive a bit more crispy sounding and the JJs to round off the harshness). it's made the amp a bit smoother but there's still a bit of an ice-picky sound, though that's more of a problem with single coils, and the trouble with humbuckers is that there's just not enough top end presence, but there never really was.

in short, i'm happy with the balance of frequencies, and the overall character of the drive, it's just that annoying upper-mid peak combined with loose and flabby bass, mostly. what i'm looking for is tighter bass, flatter mids, and a bit more definition in the treble frequencies - defined, but not ice-picky. i suspect the ice pick has something to do with that "extended frequency range" celestion boasts about on the 70/80 product page.

edit: btw, the eminence wizard, is that the "red coat" thing? from that description sounds more like the kind of thing i'm looking for than the G12H30.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 31, 2011,
Yeah, def. replace the 70 80... what about a Greenback? You sound like you have problems with specific frequencies too, so you might want to at least try an EQ pedal as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Yeah, def. replace the 70 80... what about a Greenback? You sound like you have problems with specific frequencies too, so you might want to at least try an EQ pedal as well.

isn't the greenback 25 watts? surely that's not really a good idea in a 30 watt amp

You should be okay, I doubt 5w RMS makes that much difference for speakers.

Eminence is definitely worth considering though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i think i can get an eminence wizard cheaper than a celestion G12H30, which is quite odd really.

i also found a video on youtube that i was expecting to be a helpful comparison and it turned out to be a god-damn "can you guess which is which lolol" thing. i hate those things so much - often people who post those are just trying to prove a completely redundant point, rather than actually be helpful and informative. it's my pet peeve at the moment

hate to bump threads but i usually end up doing this.

today i was checking things out with different pickups, and until now i'd only really noticed problems with humbuckers -

single coils are also an issue, as they sound very thin and ice-picky.

it seems like with humbuckers the bass is loose and flabby, and the midrange is boxy because the treble frequencies don't really come through.

with single coils, there's plenty of top end, but it's ice-picky, and with the tone control or the treble knob on the amp there's a fine line between ice-pick and the highs being overpowered by that upper-mid peak, which i guess is related to the boxy sound with humbuckers. there's not enough bass to cause flab, but there's also no depth in the midrange...

so right now i'm undecided between the G12H and the wizard.

what would you choose in this situation? i wish it was easier to try speakers before you buy them...