Hey guys, my band is playing tomorrow night at a house party and it's our first time ever playing in front of people.

I was just wondering what sort of pre-show rituals you guys do to get you pumped/in the zone.

Any first time tips would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.
sacrifice a goat
Playing since december 2004
Quote by BloodMoon666

*sports commentator voice*
And this thread is over!

Wonderful match by TS but in the end simply overwhelmed by the pure skill and simplicity of unfluffed. A true professional in action.
smokin a fattys always good for takin the edge off... if yur into that... other than that im not too sure... just play like you do at practice and you shold bee all good lol... and good luck man
scream like a goat. or groan like a goat. it sounds cool to the audience to hear what sounds like a dying goat backstage, and it creates a nice contrast to an awesome performance.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
and a jeffery!

Damn... I want to do a show with you.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
chug a beer and spit in eachothers faces then slap one another
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
Think about how much better I am than everybody (even if it isn't necessarily true) and how I shouldn't give a shit if they like me or not.
I keep myself to myself for about 20 minutes before I go on, walk aroind backstage with my bass, warming up, going through the setlist. If I'm at a place with a bar, I'll most likely have a glass of warm water with a lemon, lubricate the vocal chords. Sounds a bit odd, but it helps me clear my thoughts. I change the feel of my own songs at every gig, with them being so personal, I have wildly differing feelings about them every time. For example, I've got a song about a short relationship that I knew wouldn't last. Sone gigs it's very much a 'wish it woulsn't end' feel, whilst at others, it's more 'I wouldn't change it for the world.' Those 20 minutes help me put things together.
I smoke. A lot. Pall Mall 100's specifically. But I don't really recommend it.
I also enjoy my wine. Usually hit on the Baristas (I play a lot of folk clubs...).
As for suggestions, a bit of warm up doesn't hurt. Listen to some good "get pumped" music. Whatever gets you comfortable really.
Quote by The Madcap
Think about how much better I am than everybody (even if it isn't necessarily true) and how I shouldn't give a shit if they like me or not.

I like this suggestion a lot.
Quote by unfluffed
sacrifice a goat

Sacrificing chickens works too if you cant find a goat
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
eating small mammals alive is also good for the hands.
Playing since december 2004
Quote by BloodMoon666

*sports commentator voice*
And this thread is over!

Wonderful match by TS but in the end simply overwhelmed by the pure skill and simplicity of unfluffed. A true professional in action.
Drink like 2 beers. Enough to get me loosened up and feeling good without making me roll around on the floor laughing like I do in practice :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Start warming up my fingers about 2-3 hours beforehand (i'm a fingerstyle bassist)
Get drunk while playing my instrument, this is a trick I learned. If you drink while playing you won't lose the ability to do it right.

And of course, making sure all the guitarists are in tune.
Jump around a bit and get my blood pumping and shit my pants.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
I generally survey the surrounding area for a good vantage point and then stalk my prey for several days prior to a show.
I have some mother****ing badass milk, then I munch down some goddamned expensive cheese. Then I completely FLIP THE **** OUT and read a mother****ing NEWSPAPER bitch. And when I'm literally about to go on stage I go mother****ing badass on everyones case and wish everyone GOOD MOTHER****ING LUCK YO.
Since we played in the same area for a long time, I've started the habit of eating something from Burger King before every show. It just feels right.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I like to inject Tabasco Sauce up my urethra with a turkey baster. I find it centers me before a show.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Depends what kind of gig. For acoustic gigs, I warm my voice up, trying to work my way up and down to the extremities in the songs I'm doing, so when I come to do it onstage, it feels more natural. I also make sure my guitar is in tune, play it a while, retune, play, retune, play.....etc until it settles properly into the heat and humidity of the venue.

For electric shows, or for when I'm just playing bass or guitar, I just warm up with my Vox Amplug, and noise cancelling headphones either backstage, or in a quiet-ish room, to loosen my hands up.

Regardless of shows, I like to drink green tea beforehand, then either bitter or Guinness afterwards. Its got to be a weird kind of habit.
Before a gig I cry and tell myself I'm shit whilst a friend throws things at me, that way it's not so much of a shock when I go out on stage.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Stretch, warm-up, check gear. That should do it.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by lockwolf
Drink like 2 beers. Enough to get me loosened up and feeling good without making me roll around on the floor laughing like I do in practice :p

2 beers gets you feelin good? sheesh, must be a small guy
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !